• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best headphones for movies only?

dazkyl

I am looking for a new can of headphones strictly for home cinema movie watching.

A few options I can get and I was looking at are

Audeze LCD-X​

Sennheiser HD 800 S​

Focal Clear MG

HIFIMAN ARYA ORGANIC
HIFIMAN ARYA STEALTH
HIFIMAN HE1000se
FOCAL CLEAR MG PROFESSIONAL

I am mostly leaning towards the Audeze lcd x due to its nice bass.

I currently have the dt1990 pro with the fiio k7 amp and i really like the sound with the harman eq. Smooth, natural sound with a pretty wide soundstage and punchy detailed bass however I am looking to upgrade. I will still be keeping this setup especially for competitive fps gaming however I am on the hunt for a new can and dac/amp for dedicated movie watching.

Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Arnas

Fostex th900 is king for movies.
Out of these i think HE 1000Se would be best based on soundstage and deep bass.

OP
D

dazkyl

Fostex th900 is king for movies.
Out of these i think HE 1000Se would be best based on soundstage and deep bass.
I need to take a look at this and check some reviews however it seems like its not an open back. What about sound stage on it?

Arnas

I need to take a look at this and check some reviews however it seems like its not an open back. What about sound stage on it?
It have very good soundstage for closed back and slightly above average when it comes to open backs.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
however I am looking to upgrade.
In what way are you wanting to "upgrade"?

IMO - It's really best to listen (and check for personal comfort) and decide for yourself. That's especially true if you already own good headphones. Opinions & preferences vary.
And keep in mind that with headphones, the main difference in sound quality or "sound character" is frequency response and you can tweak that to a large extent with EQ.

What about sound stage on it?
I wouldn't rely on other people's perception of that either. :( It's not something that can be measured and most people, including me, never get a realistic soundstage illusion. Headphone Soundstage Survey

OP
D

dazkyl

resolution, detail, bass, soundstage. I am sure theres a can of headphones that are a level or two above my current headphones. Unfortunately i am not able to listen to headphones in where I live. I have to order one online.
In what way are you wanting to "upgrade"?

IMO - It's really best to listen (and check for personal comfort) and decide for yourself. That's especially true if you already own good headphones. Opinions & preferences vary.
And keep in mind that with headphones, the main difference in sound quality or "sound character" is frequency response and you can tweak that to a large extent with EQ.

I wouldn't rely on other people's perception of that either. :( It's not something that can be measured and most people, including me, never get a realistic soundstage illusion. Headphone Soundstage Survey

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Arya Stealth is an upgrade, but I've had some high end Audeze models and wasn't impressed for the price. At least with the Arya Stealth I felt it was worth every penny.

EasyC

Forum Donor
Ever tried AirPods Pro on an Apple TV? Spatial Audio works quite well, especially for movies - for a fraction of the price I guess... It's fun!

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
While I don't know if AirPods are an appropriate solution in your context, can I suggest as @EasyC did to inquire about binaural renderers when consuming multichannel content via headphones ? The more recent experiences I've had with it have been, for movies, quite transformative to me.

Top Bottom