• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Headphones Help

JediMa

I'm planning to buy new headphones for Christmas in the 500 euro range. I need your help to find out which are the right addition to my collection.

At the moment I have:
- EDXS which are my best ones (sound quality wise) I like everything about their sound.
- HD600 that i consider a must have in any collection and my absolute favourite for Classical music.
- Grado SR325x, unique grado sound (hate or love.. i love it)
- Hifiman He560 (wood ones) I like them but I could probably sell them to boost my budget but only if I MUST.. somehow I'd like to keep them.

So what should I consider to buy? Open backs, closed, planars, magnetic..

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which genre of music do you want a pair to excel at? You have a good collection, so I'd get specific like female vocals, bass slam, what would be a fun departure? I've had most on the list, maybe IEMs which are a really fun and portable alternative to closed back designs.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I'm planning to buy new headphones for Christmas in the 500 euro range. I need your help to find out which are the right addition to my collection.

At the moment I have:
- EDXS which are my best ones (sound quality wise) I like everything about their sound.
- HD600 that i consider a must have in any collection and my absolute favourite for Classical music.
- Hifiman He560 (wood ones) I like them but I could probably sell them to boost my budget but only if I MUST.. somehow I'd like to keep them.

Seems like you don't really need an new headphones.

That said I have over 40 headphones and at least 20 of them don't see any usage but like at least 10 of these enough so that I could use them gladly but get no ear time because of HD800 (with EQ), S5X and for portable DT1350 (with EQ) which are mostly used.

Like but don't use: DT1990-A (with filter), HD560S, HD660S2, FiiO FT3, DT1770 (modified + filter), HD650, modified HD58X, modified SRH-940, KSC35, RH-A30.

Could probably live with my HE400SE, HE400i, Edition XX, AH-MM200, KPH30i, KSC75, (filtered) HD250-lin-II, (filtered) DT990, modified HD681.

Last edited:
OP
JediMa

JediMa

Which genre of music do you want a pair to excel at? You have a good collection, so I'd get specific like female vocals, bass slam, what would be a fun departure? I've had most on the list, maybe IEMs which are a really fun and portable alternative to closed back designs.
Defintively Rock - Hard Rock and Metal, altough I listen any genre, Rock and Classical are my favourites

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You got a nice set of headphones already. Not much that can add to your experience below €500 I think. Maybe you should save the money and get an LCD-X / XC or an HD800S when you have €1000.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seems like you don't really need an new headphones.

That said I have over 40 headphones and at least 20 of them don't see any usage but like at least 10 of these enough so that I could use them gladly but get no ear time because of HD800 (with EQ), S5X and for portable DT1350 (with EQ) which are mostly used.

Like but don't use: DT1990-A (with filter), HD560S, HD660S2, FiiO FT3, DT1770 (modified + filter), HD650, modified HD58X, modified SRH-940, KSC35, RH-A30.

Could probably live with my HE400SE, HE400i, Edition XX, AH-MM200, KPH30i, KSC75, (filtered) HD250-lin-II, (filtered) DT990, modified HD681.
An opinion with some weight. Consider it.

OP
JediMa

JediMa

You got a nice set of headphones already. Not much that can add to your experience below €500 I think. Maybe you should save the money and get an LCD-X / XC or an HD800S when you have €1000.
I probably won't ever spend 1000 for HP so the purpose is to add something quite distinctive in the collection, like top closed ones

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Austrian Audio Hi-X60 fits the bill for closed.

If I did not have modified DT1770 or modified SRH940 (crappy enclosure quality so headband from other headphone) that one would be what I would buy or S4R (1.2)

OP
JediMa

JediMa

AKG K371 because of its quality and quantity of deep bass.
I have them, I wanted something better than them

Hammeredklavier

If you have a requirement for sealed cans with really good isolation, my current go-to are the Sennheiser HD300 Pro. They don't cost much, they're very easy to drive, the sound is very even and neutral without having to mess around with EQ, and they're robustly made and comfortable. Ultimately, I suppose I prefer the sound of the HD650s, but since I don't have a silent PC and a soundproof room...

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

At the moment I have:

You definitely don't NEED new headphones, but if you want to expand your horizons a little, I personally like certain Focal cans and Audeze, although many of their units are only accessible at the 500 EUR range second-hand.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
With the collection of headphones you have, and without specific complaints, and without wanting something specific, it's probably useless asking others for recommendations.

Opinions and preferences vary - My favorite-sounding headphone may not be your favorite. A headphone that's comfortable to me might not be comfortable for you. I might think a headphone looks cool and you might think it's ugly.

Or, there's always EQ to change the sound of your headphone(s). When you get bored with the sound you can change the EQ again.

OP
JediMa

JediMa

Austrian Audio Hi-X60 fits the bill for closed.

If I did not have modified DT1770 or modified SRH940 (crappy enclosure quality so headband from other headphone) that one would be what I would buy or S4R (1.2)
Oh I dont know much about Austrian Audio, I will read some review thank you
You definitely don't NEED new headphones, but if you want to expand your horizons a little, I personally like certain Focal cans and Audeze, although many of their units are only accessible at the 500 EUR range second-hand.
I was really considering Focal Elegia, to have headphones with good sound and that i can't use when there's noise in the other room or my gf is watching tv

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor

OP
JediMa

JediMa

I was
Actually i'm missing closed back of excellent level to use when there's noise in the house (which happens quite often)

Hammeredklavier

I was

Actually i'm missing closed back of excellent level to use when there's noise in the house (which happens quite often)
Yes. These open headphones are all very well in soundproof mastering labs etc, but out in the real world ...

People go obsessing over an extra few decibels of SINAD when they buy DACs and then use open back headphones in environments where ambient noise is often well over 30dB!

OP
JediMa

JediMa

Top Bottom