• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New from Schiit Audio: Vidar 2

Aricml

I can't wait until hopefully someday we can see Amir review this!

Barry32

Makes complete sense for Schiit to improve an existing design. It would be hard to compete with the likes of Hypex, ICE or other Class D products in the various cases from Audiophonics, Boxem etc. Schiit has an A/B amp at the same price so there is something to choose.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'm really looking forward to a review of this! Hope they send one to Amir. (I could see a Vidar 2 + Saga S combination being a 65th birthday present to myself in a year...)

bill poster

Original Vidar had ok reviews, curious how Vidar 2 compares to say, new Soncoz power amp

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Output triple? Forgive my ignorance, but isn't this similar to what Quad did in the late 60's and today 'charming' 303 amp?

I dare say it'll be a long time before we see any of these in Europe :(

Overseas

Major Contributor
I am starting to dream of a Schiit line, all in like dac + preamp + Vidar 2
:)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Output triple? Forgive my ignorance, but isn't this similar to what Quad did in the late 60's and today 'charming' 303 amp?

I dare say it'll be a long time before we see any of these in Europe :(

That was a triplet.
A combination of 3 transistors to act as a glorified complementary output devices using 2x NPN power transistors (quasi complentary output stage) instead of complementary output devices.
A triple is not what is in the Vidar 2 has in the output stage.

Ritz

Here's a youtube review. Very subjective so I'd love to see someone dive in there and get actual data on the differences between the old and new Vidar. I've got the original one and love it for driving some modified Magnepan MMG's. I might upgrade just to get the stand-by button on the front panel instead of having to reach around to the back for the power switch.

Best,

Last edited:

yodog

I wonder if it’s really doing 120db snr per Amir’s standards…

Overseas

Major Contributor
Can't understand how an US manufacturer does not care to deliver 1 piece for review to ASR.
I can see detailed download with factory measurements for Vidar 2, so I guess these guys are into measurements, right?

Jazz Tourist

I agree @Overseas this product is not that new. Not sure if folks in the forum would be cool with having a unit reviewed... to be honest I'm not sure if too many forum members have purchased one of these.

Jazz Tourist

My thinking was that because @amirm does a lot of testing by himself, that's the best way to benchmark against other gear that he has reviewed? Also, independent reviewer might be more trustworthy to a lot of folks?

ravh

Bought one already and looking forward to using it. I'll report back.

Top Bottom