• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New driver software for Topping DACs

threni

Major Contributor
This has nothing to do with d50/d50s. D50/D50s use ESS's integrated digital receiver. D30pro uses CS8416. Same XMOS as receiver which is used by many professional audio interface and fiio. They work fine with good quality spdif signal but not very well with poorer quality signal. Most CD players are pretty horrible in this. The issue is not so simple and not too complicated. D90se uses LC89091 which doesn't have the same issue. And we are trying other chips to see if there's issue.

Are the CD players, receivers etc which demonstrate the problem with the CS8416 out of spec in terms of how much jitter they're emitting?

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
New Topping Driver 5.30
Date: 1-25-2022

Topping Drivers feel like Nvidia Drivers, nothing major seems to change. ASIO PCM Leak is still a thing.
Don't see the point in installing every new driver.
Some people believe that different driver versions have different effects on the SQ... :facepalm:
It's just a driver to deal with communications between the USB side the XMOS interface and the USB host.. how do the zeroes and ones from the I2S signal on the other side of the XMOS interface that goes into the DAC know what driver been used to get those ones and zeroes there..

Driver is only worth looking into if you have connection problems.. technically you don't even need the drivers unless for some edge case you need ASIO in a home use situation.

Lupin

Why no Win7 support anymore?
Perhaps because official Windows 7 support for home use ended years ago and due the ever increasing security risks one should not use it anymore and do a free upgrade to Windows 11.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Perhaps because official Windows 7 support for home use ended years ago and due the ever increasing security risks one should not use it anymore and do a free upgrade to Windows 11.
I forget which driver version it was but installing did not work. Luckily the latest drivers work great on Windows 11

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Don't see the point in installing every new driver.
Some people believe that different driver versions have different effects on the SQ... :facepalm:
It's just a driver to deal with communications between the USB side the XMOS interface and the USB host.. how do the zeroes and ones from the I2S signal on the other side of the XMOS interface that goes into the DAC know what driver been used to get those ones and zeroes there..

Driver is only worth looking into if you have connection problems.. technically you don't even need the drivers unless for some edge case you need ASIO in a home use situation.
For 16bit content you need the driver, because the stock windows drivers only go to down 44.1khz 24bit.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
This still happens after a while.
Screenshot 2022-02-13 060749.jpg

JasonC331

Forum Donor
This still happens after a while.
View attachment 186324
I've noticed the same after some windows updates. Not even sure what is the default. I only use it now as a digital out for the Anthem MRX740.
Wasn't there a firmware that floated around here for the Topping D10S?

Alou

If you use the dac through a DAW or an Asio capable player (Jriver etc) there is a slight difference towards the better (or it might be placebo:facepalm:)
Latency is a bit faster!

petr

у меня топпинг dx7 pro
я просто обрезал дорожку заземления на корпус и исчезли искажения а коаксиальный стал работать устойчива
и кстати звук стал намного лучше

Lupin

My dac 10s - Version 4.86 not working win 7 ( ver 4.86 supported win 7 ) :( ?
Can't think of any reason why one would still run Windows 7 in 2023.
it is unsupported and even security updates are not released for Windows 7 anymore.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Can't think of any reason why one would still run Windows 7 in 2023.
it is unsupported and even security updates are not released for Windows 7 anymore.
The only reason to run Windows 7 is for old software and/or because its lite on older/newer hardware

Lupin

The only reason to run Windows 7 is for old software and/or because its lite on older/newer hardware
Windows 7 is not "lighter" in any meaningful way than Windows 10. In some ways Windows 10 is even more efficient than Windows 7.

I would seriously reconsider the use of any software that runs on Windows 7 but not on Windows 10. Windows 7 is EOL for years now, I don't put my trust in companies that don't bother to update their software to run on a current operating system.

Of course, industrial environments are a whole other discussion and there are valid exceptions there. However, for home use there is no excuse for software that ran on Windows 7 not to be able to run on Windows 10 by now.

Top Bottom