• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New driver software for Topping DACs

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Berwhale, could you explain to me what these drivers do, and will they fix the coaxial issue

The driver provides an ASIO interface for the DAC. People use them if they want to avoid routing their audio though the standard Windows audio stack (or maybe to do other processing that ASIO allows). The driver allows you to connect a player application (Foobar2000, MusciBee, etc.) directly to the DAC. There are several threads on ASR discussing why you may, or may not want to do this.

The driver is installed on Windows and is for USB connections, it's not going to fix a faulty co-axial input on a DAC.

What DAC do you have and what are you trying to connect it to?

Last edited:

Ashley Salmond

Forum Donor
The driver provides an ASIO interface for the DAC. People use them if they want to avoid routing their audio though the standard Windows audio stack (or maybe to do other processing that ASIO allows). The driver allows you to connect a player application (Foobar2000, MusciBee, etc.) directly to the DAC. There are several threads on ASR discussing why you may, or may not want to do this.

The driver is installed on Windows and is for USB connections, it's not going to fix a faulty co-axial input on a DAC.

I have a topping d50. I didnt use the coaxial for at least twelve months. After buying a arc decoder which has a coaxial output I discovered the topping coaxial didn't work.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Can anyone move the volume slider bar of the coax or is not designed to do so? I'm using it just to try out eh sounds of different dac's but can seem to change that volume, the master will change but coax is greyed out.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On Windows? I don't have a co-ax handy, but I can change the level of my TOSLink connection...

1623526258798.png

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

WASAPI exclusive does all the same without the need of a 3rd party driver.

Actually it says on the ASIO Foobar plugin page that you should not use ASIO when WASAPI is available.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Actually it says on the ASIO Foobar plugin page that you should not use ASIO when WASAPI is available.

Like I said, there are reasons to use ASIO and reasons not to use ASIO. I was just explaining what the drivers do. Personally, I use DirectSound because I use EqualizerAPO to EQ both my headphones and monitors. Using an exclusive driver is a PITA on PC that's used for more than just feeding a DAC.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Various: I found WASAPI in Foobar2000 will work with Topping DAC's in the event mode with Windows default drivers if the buffer is set to less than 20 ms. As for ASIO, you can always try asio4all. The new 2.15 beta is more likely to work than older versions.

garson

It's not 3rd party driver but manufacturer's driver.
Windows driver, on the other hand, is generic driver.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not 3rd party driver but manufacturer's driver.
Windows driver, on the other hand, is generic driver.

Unless it's a WHQL driver. Microsoft will install and update 3rd party drivers that have passed WHQL testing. It's just the driver though, 3rd parties aren't allowed to bundle any other software with thte driver (e.g. Nvidia Control Panel)

garson

Not sure if that (being WHQL or not) is relevant. If manufacturer's driver is not WHQL, it is still manufacturer's driver made specifically for that device. On the other hand, Windows USB Class 2 driver is generic driver for many (existing and yet to be built) devices.
I am not trying to generalize anything, but companies that make professional audio devices (usually) have good (ASIO) drivers. So Foobar can say (and generalize) anything they want.

Ashley Salmond

Forum Donor
No, good idea, thank you. I think the Panasonic blue ray has a coaxial.
Hi Sir, I tried the coaxial and no signal. I thought after that attempt that the problem must lay in the dacit's self. I draw that conclusion from the fact that, if there is no signal all the topping auto off tells so. Quiet frankly I think these dad produces only focus on certain inputs. Just recently I bought a Gustardx16 dad. Right from the get go you could hear a jitter or click sound. The USB and Bluetooth were OK, but the coaxial and optical had the problem.The more I look at dacs, especially the more expensive ones,, $250 or more I notice a muddying of the sound. My $150 Ayino 5.1decoder,I think and to my ears, is as good and if not better sound. I think the more expensive models, and I am only a lay person, have to much filtering and this I guess muddies some of the miss to lower frequency. What sort of day do you have.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
It's signed driver now:

1623555836798.png

Ashley Salmond

Forum Donor
Hi Jason, thank for your help. I check with Amirm and downloads only help with the downloading of music. The drivers or downloads don't go into the dac.its just about comparability. As I tried foobar there was no mention of coaxial. You wouldn't believe what Topping had me doing. It sounds like whoever I was dealing with didn't know what he was talking about. I n the end he said it was the coaxial cable. That is the problem with products from that part of the world, is the lack of responsibility for there products,they will tell you anything. It's a form of phycolgicaly torcher . In the end you will give up. That's how they put you off.

Top Bottom