• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Aiyima AO4 coming in May

Graham849

Forum Donor
Screenshot_20230422-173221-421.png

OP
Graham849

Graham849

Forum Donor
More info

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230422-173241~2.png
    Screenshot_20230422-173241~2.png
    743.5 KB · Views: 385
OP
Graham849

Graham849

Forum Donor

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Totally over my head... LIT.

BTW hi, I am originally from Yeovil. Waves from Australia.
It’s on the spec sheet posted #2 post above. Actually says it has “Support for Gallbladder level”. :facepalm:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I was just thinking yesterday about how discontinuation of the original A04 left a bit of a hole in their lineup. Don't really need tone controls for my main use of these amps - though I do like my SMSL AO100 digital control for volume and tone on occasion. I'm currently using the old A04 in my sunporch system as it gives me more volume options for softer volume levels than the A07.

Per another poster's desire here today, it would be interesting for Aiyima or SMSL to offer a straight power amp with no VC, similar to what Schiit did with their new mini-amps, but with more power. That would be a niche product though, probably not worth their while. But there is a gap for anyone wanting a D "just an amp" until you get to the 2-channel Hypex252 builds.

JakeK

Forum Donor
Important support for gallbladder :D
Lost in translation! I do feel like I do feel like I need more gall bladder support in my audio life to protect from LFO damage. ;)

I do hope the quality control for physical products is better than for literature. They must have used something like google translate and failed to do a back translation check. :rolleyes:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
what does "output mode: BTL stereo" mean?

its not bridgeable

also power is said to be ~170w 4 ohm at 1% thd

so i would imagine that its say 70-75w at 8 ohm at less than 1%?

also guy here says you can apply for 'early bird' sale

so perhaps under $75 delivered with a psu?

my opinion is these things dont really distinguish themselves between the A07 and Fosi etc. except this one has no BT (good) and it does have bass treble (who cares?) but it seems to have plenty of power off a base psu?

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
One large criticism that I see more and more about the A07 is that with the standard power brick, one doesn't have much range in the volume control until it gets pretty loud. That's true for me too, and oddly, not that much different if using a 24v/5a brick. The later previous A04 model had lower gain so it is well suited for low to moderate listening levels. This new A04 though, has MORE power. Perhaps it has a better volume range pot taper (non-linear), like Fosi has begun to use?

pickyAudiophile

Still, 6 years after release of these chipsets, there is no mass production end-to-end thoughtfully engineered TPA325x build available from any of these companies. Cheesy capacitors here, flimsy potentiometers there, thermal or current related problems somewhere, pointless tone controls elsewhere, tube mumbo-jumbo in a distance, or just inexplicably bad measuring builds released.
For maybe around USD 300 it should be possible to release a simple, well ventilated, well measuring, pop noise free, safety certified power amp with resistor ladder volume control. Where is e/g Allo? They teased a TPA325x for years but nothing happened.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Still, 6 years after release of these chipsets, there is no mass production end-to-end thoughtfully engineered TPA325x build available from any of these companies. Cheesy capacitors here, flimsy potentiometers there, thermal or current related problems somewhere, pointless tone controls elsewhere, tube mumbo-jumbo in a distance, or just inexplicably bad measuring builds released.
For maybe around USD 300 it should be possible to release a simple, well ventilated, well measuring, pop noise free, safety certified power amp with resistor ladder volume control. Where is e/g Allo? They teased a TPA325x for years but nothing happened.
This seems a little bit harsh to me. Though the various makers are for sure throwing too many build variations at the market. A ventilated case would be good, looks like Fosi is on that. There are a number of us who would pay more for good caps, internal power board, ventilated case, dual 3255 chips (one per channel) and a better Alps volume pot. Perhaps someone will jump on that. Would be nice to see something like this for around $250 to offer a mid-range solution for those of us for whom 100 wpc into 8 ohm nominal speakers is all that's needed. Right now, closest thing to this I think is the SMSL A300 amp, which I have yet to see get reviewed here.

pickyAudiophile

Right now, closest thing to this I think is the SMSL A300 amp, which I have yet to see get reviewed here.
I have that SMSL A300 (Infineon MA5332MS) here with me as well as an early 2018 released, meanwhile discontinued, "FX502J-S" by North Flat Japan based on a TPA3250 chipset, see NFJAPAN FX502J-S in Japanese. The chinese version of the FX502 which also existed received a bad review here on ASR. However that japanese amp sonically outperforms the powerful but unfortunately significantly muddier and unavoidably infra-bass shy D300. There is so much more potential in the TPA325x once well implemented... Yes enough people should be willing to pay more, I think that's the case.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
TBF to fosi aiyima etc. what is deliverable for $75 shipped to you?

you aint gonna get an heirloom piece of equipment

at best you're going to get a device that meets spec but has "not the best" components inside, because you only paid $75!!!

something i keep thinking of and Amir keeps pointing out is that we're in an age where the Chinese can design manufacture and design a reasonably good stereo amp and warrant it and it should work for many years and years

literally no one else can do this. if you separate the BOM + labor then you cannot come to $75 shipped in another other economy. We are paid something like $20 min wage here so its not wrong.

to me something like an A04 as delivered if it does a true 70w x 2 at 8 ohm at less than 1% thd is all one can expect for under $100... and deep down I think this is an unreasonable expectation, its just the chinese have 'spoiled' us for too long

how can people expect more? it costs more than that to fill my SUV full of gasoline!

JakeK

Forum Donor
TBF to fosi aiyima etc. what is deliverable for $75 shipped to you?

you aint gonna get an heirloom piece of equipment

at best you're going to get a device that meets spec but has "not the best" components inside, because you only paid $75!!!

something i keep thinking of and Amir keeps pointing out is that we're in an age where the Chinese can design manufacture and design a reasonably good stereo amp and warrant it and it should work for many years and years

literally no one else can do this. if you separate the BOM + labor then you cannot come to $75 shipped in another other economy. We are paid something like $20 min wage here so its not wrong.

to me something like an A04 as delivered if it does a true 70w x 2 at 8 ohm at less than 1% thd is all one can expect for under $100... and deep down I think this is an unreasonable expectation, its just the chinese have 'spoiled' us for too long

how can people expect more? it costs more than that to fill my SUV full of gasoline!
This is true. NAD made a class D desktop amp which no doubt has thoughtful design, high quality components throughout, available though retailers with warranty etc. and it costs a lot more!

Not sure if it got reviewed here. I know if it was wildly popular there would be a lot more like it but the price is too high to sell that many. My guess is it's more of a slow steady trickle of sales than a torrent.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
well funny you should mention NAD as they were one of the pioneers with the infamous NAD 3020... but even that device was something like $250 usd adjusted in the day... BUT again this comes down to what you can deliver as far as a 19" wide full sized component costs and with phono tape loops and all that

from what i have seen there hasnt been a western designed stereo amp, even Chinese made, that comes close to what the Chinese make themselves

sure there are limitations in that its really just a power amp w/ volume control but this is a mirror of what modern tastes are

we match it with a DAC preamp w/ bluetooth and it does what 90% of us (and the chinese audience) are after

3eaudio

Audio Company
based on this, we are trying to make a pure tpa32xx amplifier with build-in SMPS this year. Hope everything will going well for diyer selection.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i think the reason you dont see $300 tpa units is because the market has moved onto infineon and maybe even ncore units arent too far away

there must be a reason why these main players dont even bother with a $200 tpa unit... perhaps even with a built in switch mode psu

Snix

well yeh, I mean (quality issue aside) PA5 is/was 300$ish.
<100-150$ is kinda price limit for a toy hifi for fun I guess.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I have two Aiyima a04 , the older model, and I can recommend a capacitance multiplier made by Allo on the power input.
The input voltage has to be below 30 V, but the sound gets slightly better than using a meanwell 28 V directly into the Aiyima a04. You have to switch the output connector so it fits the input of a04.

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I have two Aiyima a04 , the older model, and I can recommend a capacitance multiplier made by Allo on the power input.
The input voltage has to be below 30 V, but the sound gets slightly better than using a meanwell 28 V directly into the Aiyima a04. You have to switch the output connector so it fits the input of a04.

Hey, Tangband, do you happen to know how the gain of the old model A04 (circa 2021) compares to the A07? I'm just curious, I have not seen that spec anywhere.

Top Bottom