• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH150

Pritaudio

I owned the KH120s in the past and I personally much prefer the KH80s.
Yes the 120s go louder and have more bass, but the 80s just sound so much better in the mids for me. To me the 120 sounds muddy next to the 80.
The digital crossover does really seem to make a difference.
Because of that the KH80 is a much nicer companion for the KH750 sub.
What about the beaming issue.
if you are off axis, the sound must be significantly different.

J-B

What about the beaming issue.
if you are off axis, the sound must be significantly different.

I can't comment on that because I personally use all these nearfield studio monitors... nearfield and on axis.

Pritaudio

Also, why would you want to turn off the kh750, unless it is for quieter time listening.
does the kh750 allow pass through mode for attached kh120, for late night listening, without losing the calibrated settings for other times.
can anyone answer this.
I think the Neumann iPad app allows for tinkering, but can it adjust volume of sub only in this case scenario.
how much does it depend on the ma1 stored settings in the sub.
this is important for me when I listen late at night.
I am thinking about pair of connected kh120, which are obviously not digital.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe not the thread to post this, but Stereophile are 'doing' the Genelec G3 very soon (ruler flat response apart from the usual Stereophile mid bass bump).

The review is out. It’s generally a rave, though the reviewer shat some turds about wires in the middle of it.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
can anyone answer this.
I think the Neumann iPad app allows for tinkering, but can it adjust volume of sub only in this case scenario.
You cannot use MA1 software and app at the same time unfortunately. One overwrites the other.
But with both programs you could create an alignment with reduced bass and switch between alignments for late night listening.

jj-wohlgemuth

can anyone answer this.

You can align your KH 750 & KH 120 Setup using the MA 1 App. When you want to listen without the subwoofer you can toggle the "Bass Management" button in the app. The sub will be muted and the crossover will be deactivated.

Lilith

Is there a significant sound difference between the kh80 and kh120.
output seems to be fairly similar.
does the kh80 beam sound more, and the kh120 sound bigger In Far field listening.
also, does the kh80 distort more at higher volumes than kh120.

im considering 2 kh750 and kh120 instead of 1 kh750 and kh150.
it certainly seems to be better value for money.
KH80 sound more punchy and a bit compressed when loud. KH120 sound bigger and go slightly deeper.

If you buy I sub anyway I would take the KH80

Pritaudio

You can align your KH 750 & KH 120 Setup using the MA 1 App. When you want to listen without the subwoofer you can toggle the "Bass Management" button in the app. The sub will be muted and the crossover will be deactivated.
Just afraid of losing ma1 room correction settings when in ‘non sub’ bypass mode,
and switching over.

is this true with iPad app approach too.
I understand the calibration settings aren’t as accurate as it doesn’t use the microphone.

jj-wohlgemuth

Just afraid of losing ma1 room correction settings when in ‘non sub’ bypass mode,
and switching over.

is this true with iPad app approach too.
I understand the calibration settings aren’t as accurate as it doesn’t use the microphone.
No need to be afraid :) The alignment is active when bass management is off and the KH 750 is on. The subwoofer isn't playing signal but the DSP inside the sub is still processing the signals for your 120s. I believe this is true for the iPad app too. I recommend using the MA 1 app.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
No need to be afraid :) The alignment is active when bass management is off and the KH 750 is on. The subwoofer isn't playing signal but the DSP inside the sub is still processing the signals for your 120s. I believe this is true for the iPad app too. I recommend using the MA 1 app.
Thanks. Can confirm (kH80, KH750, MA1). And to built on that, the MA1 software in it’s recent update also allows to save and restore settings from PC, so just in case one can always load up the last working MA1 profile or easily switch between different ones if so inclined.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

But how does it work exactly, @jj-wohlgemuth ?

Here are measurements from my left channel (KH310 + 2xKH750 +MA1). Green is with subs and bassmanagement active. Red: Bassmanagement off in MA1-program. Black: KH310 alone and without correction. Grey: Sub alone with correction (although i forgot if this is only 1 or both subs, i think only 1).

2022-07-09.png

Down to 30Hz there is almost no difference between red and green. The red line at 100Hz is almost as loud as with the sub. That means, if the software is active and bassmanagement is "off", the software applies around +3dB to the region around 100Hz, while the KH310 is playing alone. I find it a little bit surprising that the software applies a positive value to this. I assume that is not necessary if the sub is playing as well, because KH310+750 together should be loud enough at 100Hz.
My interpretation is, that the software tries to come as close as possible to the sound with the subs, if you switch off the basemanagement, even if that means to stress the KH310 a bit more. Is that interpretation correct?

Personally, i find the UI not very intuitive - i don´t really know why this is called "bassmanagement" and why i can´t just mute every speaker by myself or control the crossover and filters by myself. I would like to know what exactly the software is doing in what scenario. Also, i always forget if the orange color of the button means "on" or "off".

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mario Sanchez

Somehow every member of the Neumann monitor family but the KH120 is on the photo, weird.

dickiefunk

Yes there is a lot about the KH80DSP and 150DSP which I guess is to be expected as these are their latest products.
I’m wondering if the rumoured KH120mk2 will actually materialise or whether they will phase that out altogether?

jj-wohlgemuth

But how does it work exactly, @jj-wohlgemuth ?

Here are measurements from my left channel (KH310 + 2xKH750 +MA1). Green is with subs and bassmanagement active. Red: Bassmanagement off in MA1-program. Black: KH310 alone and without correction. Grey: Sub alone with correction (although i forgot if this is only 1 or both subs, i think only 1).

Down to 30Hz there is almost no difference between red and green. The red line at 100Hz is almost as loud as with the sub. That means, if the software is active and bassmanagement is "off", the software applies around +3dB to the region around 100Hz, while the KH310 is playing alone. I find it a little bit surprising that the software applies a positive value to this. I assume that is not necessary if the sub is playing as well, because KH310+750 together should be loud enough at 100Hz.
My interpretation is, that the software tries to come as close as possible to the sound with the subs, if you switch off the basemanagement, even if that means to stress the KH310 a bit more. Is that interpretation correct?

Personally, i find the UI not very intuitive - i don´t really know why this is called "bassmanagement" and why i can´t just mute every speaker by myself or control the crossover and filters by myself. I would like to know what exactly the software is doing in what scenario. Also, i always forget if the orange color of the button means "on" or "off".
The BM Button in the App has the same effect as the BM switch on the backplate of the KH 750 when used in local mode. From the KH 750 manual:

1657539260962.png

Top Bottom