• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH150

mmi

I bought the KH120 just last week.. As they still don't offer Android support as promised in the beginning a MKII makes no sense for me.
Does the iPad app use the microphone? If not then that is definitely disappointing but based on recent statements from Sennheiser they are putting resources into software at Neumann so hopefully will.

If it does do measurements then I wouldn’t hold your breath, even Sonos don’t support trueplay on Android due to the variability in mic quality, it’s basically impossible.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: mmi

jae

Major Contributor
Price increase is a bit unfortunate, but I feel this has a good chance of being my next purchase. Looking at it optimistically, I feel this should be comparable to Genelec 8341A at least terms of extension and linearity, no? I am basing this on the respective manufacturers' marketing/specs to how previous Neumann speakers have performed on the spins. I would love Ones, but to me that means TOTL such as 8351 or 8361, which ends up being triple the price or more. I don't mind paying that price, but as my living situation is uncertain I don't want to get caught having to deal with moving larger speakers from residence or residence or even back home on the other side of the world within the next year or two. Especially in the smaller categories, it seems like you get so much more for the money with Neumann versus Genelec. I'm on the fence between picking up KH 80 (w/ maybe a smaller sub) to tide me over and then buying the Genelecs when my living situation stabilizes, or just getting the KH 150 immediately on release but then I think I would have less of a justification to upgrade to the Ones after those!

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
My experience is that the 8341 are better than the KH 150, substantially better. The KH 310 is better than the KH 150, but not on par with the 8341. I thought the KH 150 sounded like a bigger KH 80, which funnily enough is what it is. If the KH 80 is loud enough then it would be a viable alternative to a KH 150. I'd rather have a KH 80 and KH 750 than a KH 150 - again assuming the KH 80 is loud enough.

(I've just bought the 8341 and have a KH 80 / KH 750 / MA 1 setup currently, which I'll be selling if you're in the UK and interested!)

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience is that the 8341 are better than the KH 150, substantially better. The KH 310 is better than the KH 150, but not on par with the 8341. I thought the KH 150 sounded like a bigger KH 80, which funnily enough is what it is. If the KH 80 is loud enough then it would be a viable alternative to a KH 150. I'd rather have a KH 80 and KH 750 than a KH 150 - again assuming the KH 80 is loud enough.

(I've just bought the 8341 and have a KH 80 / KH 750 / MA 1 setup currently, which I'll be selling if you're in the UK and interested!)
So you heard the KH 150 already? Could you elaborate a bit more and describe the context (room, distance), please? I´m asking because AFAIK i think you are the first person "reviewing" the KH 150.

I would expect the 8341 to be better than the KH150 at least in vertical directivity.

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
I heard it at the Neumann roadshow a couple of weeks ago, see an earlier post for my photos. As such it was a brief listen but enough to form some impressions. The KH 150 were in very near field which isn't how I'm used to listening and I think I would have preferred them set up further away, that's more how I'm used to listening.

I was planning on upgrading my KH 80 to KH 310, but thought the KH 150 might be a possible alternative. At the roadshow both monitors were set up with a single KH 750 and both systems had been calibrated with MA 1. When listening to the KH 310 and KH 150 with some tracks I was familiar with it was clear that the KH 310 was superior to the KH 150. For the KH 310 the bass was better and the presentation was overall cleaner and more detailed and more relaxing to listen to. The KH 310 seemed to present a deeper more open stereo image - not sure if it being mid-field as opposed to the KH 150's near field played a part with that? The KH 150 did get loud and didn't sound too bad at the louder volumes that would have stressed out the KH 80. I really like the KH 80 and I really liked the KH 150. Given I usually play at a low volume I wasn't sure the KH 150 was a worthwhile upgrade.

I bought the 8341s unheard as there was a mint pair just down the road from me for sale. The detail, stereo image and ambience presented is a step up from the KH 310 and a lot better than the KH 150, at least in my subjective experience. Certainly blew the KH 80 out of the water, even at my normally low level listening.

So that's my subjective experience based on limited exposure and not being by any means a trained listener.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard it at the Neumann roadshow a couple of weeks ago, see an earlier post for my photos. As such it was a brief listen but enough to form some impressions. The KH 150 were in very near field which isn't how I'm used to listening and I think I would have preferred them set up further away, that's more how I'm used to listening.

I was planning on upgrading my KH 80 to KH 310, but thought the KH 150 might be a possible alternative. At the roadshow both monitors were set up with a single KH 750 and both systems had been calibrated with MA 1. When listening to the KH 310 and KH 150 with some tracks I was familiar with it was clear that the KH 310 was superior to the KH 150. For the KH 310 the bass was better and the presentation was overall cleaner and more detailed and more relaxing to listen to. The KH 310 seemed to present a deeper more open stereo image - not sure if it being mid-field as opposed to the KH 150's near field played a part with that? The KH 150 did get loud and didn't sound too bad at the louder volumes that would have stressed out the KH 80. I really like the KH 80 and I really liked the KH 150. Given I usually play at a low volume I wasn't sure the KH 150 was a worthwhile upgrade.

I bought the 8341s unheard as there was a mint pair just down the road from me for sale. The detail, stereo image and ambience presented is a step up from the KH 310 and a lot better than the KH 150, at least in my subjective experience. Certainly blew the KH 80 out of the water, even at my normally low level listening.

So that's my subjective experience based on limited exposure and not being by any means a trained listener.
Thank you! Just to clarify: Were at the roadshow two systems in comparison to hear:
1. KH310 + 750 + MA1
2. KH150 + 750 + MA1

Also, at home you have
3. KH80 + KH750 + MA1 and
4. 8341

So that your impression is based on this comparison. Did I understand that correctly?

Reactions: CMB

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
Correct regarding roadshow.

At home I have KH 80 + 2 x KH 750 + MA 1.
NB I found 2 x KH 750 with MA 1 better than 1 x KH 805 with manual integration based on REW measurement. I'm limited in available positions for subs in my room and the dual sub provided smoother and tighter (if not louder) bass.

For me, being used to subs I still find the 8341 lacking in bass. I think overall stereo soundstage presentation suffers without full range.
I am getting 2 x 7360A.

Obviously Genelec One's are a LOT more expensive than Neumann KH 310. It is better though, and for me I can justify the additional expense as being worth it, the improvements definitely exist. Others may legitimately think it's not worth it.

I'm looking forward to using GLM, I did get a bit pissed off with being a beta tester for Neumann software, even though I think the latest release is good enough. I've never been disappointed with the filters generated, it's the UI and bugs with earlier releases.

J-B

I'm in a similar situation.
I've owned many of the Neumann speakers (KH310, KH120, KH80, KH750, KH805).

Right now I'm using KH80s with MA1 in a small room. The KH750 wasn't necessary here.
I even sold my much more expensive, well loved PSI A17Ms because of them.
MA1 works brilliantly well in my room. Much better results than something like Sonarworks. That's why I'm not interested in analog monitors anymore.

The KH150 seems to be a larger version of the KH80, which I'd love.
However, I also have this itch to try out the Genelec Ones, , because of all the good stories and measurements (and GLM).

In the past I owned Genelec 8040s (which I didn't like), but the Ones are much better speakers.

Time will tell what the decision will be. :)

BTW:
All stores needed to remove their KH150 pre-order pages. Maybe Neumann is reconsidering the price, maybe there's a delay, maybe the often slow MA1 development is lagging behind,... who knows.

J-B

That's what I felt it was, it would be right up your street.

Yes I'm sure it'll be an excellent speaker.

It's a pity that I can't get any demo pair of the Genelec 8331/8341 here.
Not only to compare the speakers, but also compare GLM with MA1 in my room.
Especially because MA1 is giving me really excellent results.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Correct regarding roadshow.

At home I have KH 80 + 2 x KH 750 + MA 1.
NB I found 2 x KH 750 with MA 1 better than 1 x KH 805 with manual integration based on REW measurement. I'm limited in available positions for subs in my room and the dual sub provided smoother and tighter (if not louder) bass.

For me, being used to subs I still find the 8341 lacking in bass. I think overall stereo soundstage presentation suffers without full range.
I am getting 2 x 7360A.

Obviously Genelec One's are a LOT more expensive than Neumann KH 310. It is better though, and for me I can justify the additional expense as being worth it, the improvements definitely exist. Others may legitimately think it's not worth it.

I'm looking forward to using GLM, I did get a bit pissed off with being a beta tester for Neumann software, even though I think the latest release is good enough. I've never been disappointed with the filters generated, it's the UI and bugs with earlier releases.
Thanks. I'd love to hear about your experiences when you switched to the Genelec system with subs and GLM and how it compares to Neumann. I have no doubt that it will be an upgrade, but of course wonder how big the difference will be (being an owner of a KH310+2x KH750+MA1 setup).

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Thanks. I'd love to hear about your experiences when you switched to the Genelec system with subs and GLM and how it compares to Neumann. I have no doubt that it will be an upgrade, but of course wonder how big the difference will be (being an owner of a KH310+2x KH750+MA1 setup).
Is it just me or Genelecs and Neumanns sound totally different?
Just by comparing 8030/8050 to KH120
They sounded very different to me.

J-B

Is it just me or Genelecs and Neumanns sound totally different?
Just by comparing 8030/8050 to KH120
They sounded very different to me.

In the past I replaced Genelec 8040s with KH120s and yes they sounded very different.
I prefered the way the Neumann highs sounded.
Despite the fact the Genelecs The Ones series are much better speakers than their 80x0 series this is still something I keep in the back of my mind when thinking about a possible switch to Genelec;

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
In the past I replaced Genelec 8040s with KH120s and yes they sounded very different.
I prefered the way the Neumann highs sounded.
Despite the fact the Genelecs The Ones series are much better speakers than their 80x0 series this is still something I keep in the back of my mind when thinking about a possible switch to Genelec;
It's funny because I preferred the Genelecs highs over the Neumanns

badboygolf16v

Forum Donor
OK will let you know.

Unfortunately I only had a short period of time with the KH 310 so can't give a detailed comparison with the 8341, which is a much more apples to apples comparison than to the KH 80.

I'm hearing reverb tails and vocal articulation with the 8341 that I never heard with the KH 80. Spatially they are amazing. I guess I can compare the experience of listening to the 8341 to listening to my ESP 95/X electrostatic headphones. Very revealing. I can't wait to hear the 2.2 system equalized with GLM. Unfortunately 7360A is back ordered so I won't get them until October I think.

The KH 80 vs 8341 comparison isn't really fair when you look at output and 2 way vs 3 way. For me the 3 way KH 310 and 8341 just sound better. I'd love to hear a compression driver 2 way like the GGNTKT, I guess they could compare to a 3 way.

Regarding others' discussion of Genelec vs Neumann highs, it's difficult for me to compare because I've been using KH 80 with MA 1 with a downward sloping house curve.
The Genelecs are strictly flat when used out of the box so sound brighter but in no way harsh.

dickiefunk

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm considering changing my KH120/Eve TS108sub setup at some point this year. The KH150dsp is a very tempting option along with changing the Eve sub for the Neumann KH750dsp. From a financial perspective it would be cheaper to change the sub than replace both the KH120 and Eve TS108 but due to the size and shape of my room it would be very awkward to reach to turn on and off. The Eve sub is great because it has its own dedicated remote control which gives you 100% control over all the settings including power on and off.
I am very interested to see what the Neumann KH120mk2 will be as I already really like the KH120's. If I am able to stretch the funds to the KH150's, the new Focal ST6 Solo6 would also be on my audition list!

dickiefunk

Is it possible to use the DSP/MA1 on the Neumann KH80dsp to also apply the DSP to my Eve TS108 sub?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to use the DSP/MA1 on the Neumann KH80dsp to also apply the DSP to my Eve TS108 sub?
No. The KH80 DSP can only control themselves. But the KH750 DSP can control the KH120A.

Top Bottom