• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II

HQY

Ahh ok so if my subwoofers are pretty far apart (6-7ft or so), I’d get a Y adaptor and then another XLR connected to the y adaptor to bridge that gap.
i got same issue. i will diy longer y cables rather than using this y cables plus a pair of xlr cables as extension.

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did realize a weird quirk with these speakers when they are set to a slightly higher volume though; using my wireless logitech MX Master 3 mouse's roller scroll gets some form of interference everytime I scroll up / down. Not sure if the rest of you are getting the same issues?
Sounds like a problem of your interface. What do you use? Can you try a different one?
You also could try digital connection to the KH120ii.

At least I never experienced any sensitivity for HF interference with KH120, KH80, KH750 or KH120ii.

Infinit0

By the way how it will be the connection if going all digital? I am wondering... Pair of KH750 (Digital) -> Pair of KH120II

HQY

By the way how it will be the connection if going all digital? I am wondering... Pair of KH750 (Digital) -> Pair of KH120II

Attachments

• digital connection 2x750.jpg
    digital connection 2x750.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 79

teashea

Critical distance is not only about SLP.
Is also about room interaction,sum of drivers,peak power ability,etc.
There's a reason to be mentioned as a spec.
Well stated.

teashea

For critical listening - absolutely!
You would need to be in about 1m distance in a home environment anyway for that. (reverberation radius for e.g.)

But most people don't do critical listening. They want to hear music. On their couch in their rooms. But still search for good speakers - and KH120ii are for sure better as most in this size, even in a bad situation.
You don't need the headroom when you live in a city with neighbours. At least not very often ;-)
So I would still prefer a KH120ii in 3-4m distance over a B&W (or whatever brand) speaker of similar size/price. And in white they look actually pretty good in a living room :cool:

The point is - these speakers also perform at wider distances/bigger rooms etc when you don't use critical listening as basis (cause that's what these recommendations are made for). And for sure better as most speakers in this size/price range.
What is the point of purchasing such excellent monitors if one is not going to listen critically?

IamJF

What is the point of purchasing such excellent monitors if one is not going to listen critically?
People buy gear for tens of thousands for casual listening. Putting it in a normal living room and listening in 4m distance. They just like to listen to music :p
I bet a Neumann system will perform better as most of these ;)

HQY

i would think even for casual listining, neumann monitors are better than most of passive hifi speakers at samilar prices.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Are they brighter than the old KH120?
I sold my pair just because they lacked treble compared to Neumann

Infinit0

Are they brighter than the old KH120?
I sold my pair just because they lacked treble compared to Neumann
Sorry the offtopic but I was wondering, which studio monitors you have(if you have) or what you are looking for to buy if you are going to buy some.
I am asking because I am a bit new in this forum but I have read a LOT of posts of you about which monitor is better than other monitor, asking for comparatives(maybe curious), and a lot of threads asking for buying advice between different studio monitors and having in mind you have been here for like 3 years and asked a lot of questions, I wonder what you have, you had and what you want to have.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Sorry the offtopic but I was wondering, which studio monitors you have(if you have) or what you are looking for to buy if you are going to buy some.
I am asking because I am a bit new in this forum but I have read a LOT of posts of you about which monitor is better than other monitor, asking for comparatives(maybe curious), and a lot of threads asking for buying advice between different studio monitors and having in mind you have been here for like 3 years and asked a lot of questions, I wonder what you have, you had and what you want to have.
Had KH120 and Focal Alpha 80
Want Genelec Ones but might "compromise" on KH120II Or KH150
KH120 just wasn't as detailed as the Genelecs I've heard

Last edited:

Infinit0

Had KH120 and Focal Alpha 80
Want Genelec Ones but might "compromise" on KH120II Or KH150
So you are almost in the same spot as me.
I owned a KH120 some years ago. I moved to another country and right now I am comfortable to get a new monitors.
To be honest I discarded genelecs because they are too pricy but I no doubt that they are great and top of the top. Also I don't like the lookings of their subwoofers, for my living room it will be awful, but the Ones are the most gorgeous looking speakers I have ever seen.
Right now I am struggling between a pair of Kh150 or waiting the new KH310 the next year... Difficult decission.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
So you are almost in the same spot as me.
I owned a KH120 some years ago. I moved to another country and right now I am comfortable to get a new monitors.
To be honest I discarded genelecs because they are too pricy but I no doubt that they are great and top of the top. Also I don't like the lookings of their subwoofers, for my living room it will be awful, but the Ones are the most gorgeous looking speakers I have ever seen.
Right now I am struggling between a pair of Kh150 or waiting the new KH310 the next year... Difficult decission.
KH310II would cost much more than KH150 so not really a dillema
If you have the budget get KH310II

unpluggged

Oh, do we need to go through this again?

I'm still very curious what kind of material do you listen to and in which type of space if the KH 120 sound less detailed to you. My room is untreated, nearly square (with 3.3 m sides) and has bare plaster walls, and the Neumanns sound to me noticeably sharper in the treble than my HEDDs.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Oh, do we need to go through this again?

I'm still very curious what kind of material do you listen to and in which type of space if the KH 120 sound less detailed to you. My room is untreated, nearly square (with 3.3 m sides) and has bare plaster walls, and the Neumanns sound to me noticeably sharper in the treble than my HEDDs.
Similar room more or less
It's hard to describe
They sound fine
But when you hear Genelecs they have a different sound to them
More detailed / brighter / clearer
Whatever you want to call it
and it's not nuances
It's pretty obvious

Infinit0

It's hard to describe
They sound fine
and it's not nuances
It's pretty obvious
which model you compared to? Are you talking about the ones or the 8030/8330 line?

unpluggged

It's hard to describe
They sound fine
and it's not nuances
It's pretty obvious
I think the best solution would be to try out a Neumann and a Genelec set (say, a pair of KH 150 and a pair of 8340) in conjunction with their room correction software and then decide. Not sure if that's a practical option, considering the situation with product availability in your particular part of the world ;)

Top Bottom