• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH120 II

Filio45

No interference from two phones, either with wifi or hotspot enabled, and 120II at a distance of 25cms..

LostJack

So it is - low frequencies can produce distortion quite a lot but 60Hz must be clean at these levels. That's with ALL speakers in this size.
When they have significant more THD as Mackies at 60Hz there is something wrong.

@LostJack That's the point - these monitors don't do that normally. Not mine, not from the others. So it would be very interesting what the cause was. Did it show it without input cable? With the input shortcutted? Shortcut after the cable? Different interface? Different power socket? Different position in the room? etc...
The monitors were connected to a Furman.

Listening lower than 80 dB.

With no signal, the monitor was dead silent.

As for the interferences, when i tested the monitor I tested them even without any input connected. Still same problem.

I'll consider during this day if to purchase a new pair of this model. As well as to test them with different cables and a audio interface if I find something weird again.

Still, the thing that worried me more was not the distortion... but the bad shielding in both monitors.

If someone have this model, let me know if putting a smartphone at 30/40 cm makes the monitor do really audible buzz and noises.

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Even when I put my phone directly on the speakers I have no problems. No idea what's going on there.

monks-cat

That is a big question. I have KH120A's with a KH750 as one of the choices in my studio. I am seriously consider getting a pair of KH120 II's to test this.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, am in this situation right now. Did anyone ever test this? Is there a difference in DSP capabilities when in conjunction with a 750?

On that note, is a 750 + kh 80 any different than 750 with kh120A ? There seems to be mixed opinions on this from what I've read online, with some saying that the linear crossover phasing only works if all speakers are DSP? Others say this is not the case.

Last edited:

teashea

Sorry to bring up an old thread, am in this situation right now. Did anyone ever test this? Is there a difference in DSP capabilities when in conjunction with a 750?
I am not quite sure what you are asking. I have KH 120A's with a KH 750. The combination works quite well.

unpluggged

You can use KH 120 II in a multichannel setup (up to 7.1.4) for MA 1 room correction, something you can't do with analog monitors. That's essentially the only major differentiating factor in this regard. The DSP capabilities themselves are basically the same (EQ, phase linearization, crossover, etc.) but the filters are implemented in the speakers' DSP in the case of KH 120 II and KH 150.

monks-cat

I am not quite sure what you are asking. I have KH 120A's with a KH 750. The combination works quite well.
Just updated my post a bit. I understand the combination works well.

Was just wondering, when paired with a 750 sub, if adding DSP to the stereo pair (in say the kh 80 or kh120ii) adds any *DSP* functionality, and hence a better sound, above and beyond pairing it with kh 120. (I understand the sub needs to be on when paired with the original 120).

teashea

Yes, the KH 750 needs to be turned on when used with KH 120A's. The 120A's are plugged into the KH 750.

monks-cat

You can use KH 120 II in a multichannel setup (up to 7.1.4) for MA 1 room correction, something you can't do with analog monitors. That's essentially the only major differentiating factor in this regard. The DSP capabilities themselves are basically the same (EQ, phase linearization, crossover, etc.) but the filters are implemented in the speakers' DSP in the case of KH 120 II and KH 150.
Would there be any advantage to having it be done on the speakers themselves rather than prior in the sub? I'm not interested in a multi channel setup at this moment.

I mention this because others have mentioned previously that it's not quite identical, I'll see if I could go find the post.

unpluggged

Was just wondering, when paired with a 750 sub, if adding DSP to the stereo pair (in say the kh 80 or kh120ii) adds any *DSP* functionality above and beyond pairing it with kh 120.
No. But the KH 120 has been discontinued and its stocks are almost cleared (a couple of weeks ago, Thomann had it for about €400 excluding VAT, now it's gone), so this question is only relevant if you already have the KH 120. Otherwise there's not so much of a choice left.

monks-cat

Yes, the KH 750 needs to be turned on when used with KH 120A's. The 120A's are plugged into the KH 750.
Thats fine. I was just wondering if there are DSP algorithms that require on-speaker DSP for all the speakers in the system. I'm not familiar with the specifics.

unpluggged

Would there be any advantage to having it be done on the speakers themselves rather than prior in the sub?
The main advantage is that you don't have to have the sub running if you don't need the bass extension ;)

monks-cat

No. But the KH 120 has been discontinued and its stocks are almost cleared (a couple of weeks ago, Thomann had it for about €400 excluding VAT, now it's gone), so this question is only relevant if you already have the KH 120. Otherwise there's not so much of a choice left.
I'm buying some used for about that price. Hence interested in this question. Shucks that I missed that deal! But I don't think they ship to California anyhow..

unpluggged

Thats fine. I was just wondering if there are DSP algorithms that require on-speaker DSP for all the speakers in the system. I'm not familiar with the specifics.

I'm buying some used for about that price. Hence interested in this question.

I wouldn't care too much about specifics. In the end, we get the same result: a room- and phase-corrected monitoring system. What I would care about, is the speakers themselves: obviously, KH 120 is at the end of its active life, whereas the KH 120 II will be supported for quite a long time from now. Then comes the performance advantage of the new generation. So, if I had to choose between them today, I personally would go for the KH 120 II, and this decision wouldn't be based on their DSP differences (granted, when combined with the KH 750 DSP).

monks-cat

I wouldn't care too much about specifics. In the end, we get the same result: a room- and phase-corrected monitoring system. What I would care about, is the speakers themselves: obviously, KH 120 is at the end of its active life, whereas the KH 120 II will be supported for quite a long time from now. Then comes the performance advantage of the new generation. So, if I had to choose between them today, I personally would go for the KH 120 II, and this decision wouldn't be based on their DSP differences (granted, when combined with the KH 750 DSP).

That makes sense. However, the mark ii's are more than 2x the street price. It would take a significantly longer time to save up to get a 750 sub with alignment mic. (I think its safe to say the 120a's with a sub would be superior to the mark ii's without one.)

The original post I was quoting by @teashea was about them doing a comparisons between the 120a and 120ii in the context of being paired with a 750 sub. If anyone has done this comparison, that would be very helpful for schmucks like me where budget is a concern :)

Top Bottom