• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jack of all trades, master of none?

The KH310A is one of the best reviewed monitors here. As a matter of fact Neumann is up there with the best when it comes to measurements, thus, sonic performance in layman terms, they sound good too. They don't use DSP, a testimony of the advanced R&D that brought these on the market. And yes, they're old but they were, are and will continue to be excellent.
So they are quite the master at the faithful reproduction of recorded music, and, they do it better than many celebrated and idolized, here and elsewhere, monitors with similar price... We have the proofs, numbers aka measurements.

Peace.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The KH310A is one of the best reviewed monitors here. As a matter of fact Neumann is up there with the best when it comes to measurements, thus, sonic performance in layman terms, they sound good too. They don't use DSP, a testimony of the advanced in R&D that brought these on the market. And yes, they're old but they were, are and will continue to be excellent.
So they are quite the master at the faithful reproduction of recorded music, and, they do it better than many celebrated and idolized, here and elsewhere, monitors with similar price... We have the proofs, numbers aka measurements.

Peace.
So why does it always come at second place when compared to Genelec?
What do Genelecs do better?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not here. I like both but regarding price/ performance I prefer Neumann, at least in the EU. Neumann has no similar priced and designed speakers like the Genelec One series (coax mid/high range and DSP on board) so they cannot compete feature wise. And the KH420 has not been measured yet so we don't know how it competes with similar specced Genelecs.

I remember though that @amirm was very impressed by the subjective SQ of the Kh310.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Not here. I like both but regarding price/ performance I prefer Neumann, at least in the EU. Neumann has no similar priced and designed speakers like the Genelec One series (coax mid/high range and DSP on board) so they cannot compete feature wise. And the KH420 has not been measured yet so we don't know how it competes with similar specced Genelecs.

I remember though that @amirm was very impressed by the subjective SQ of the Kh310.
It's a sad thing they increased the price

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And the KH420 has not been measured yet so we don't know how it competes with similar specced Genelecs.

It's been measured by S&R though which is more than enough information(their max SPL and IMD graphs are even better, IMO). The real problem with the KH420 in my eyes is: It doesn't have any coaxial advantages, nor LF directivity control, so why not buy the D&D 8C-Studio version at the same price($10K USD) instead? The KH420 does seem like it would play louder, at least.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's been measured by S&R though which is more than enough information(their max SPL and IMD graphs are even better, IMO). The real problem with the KH420 in my eyes is: It doesn't have any coaxial advantages, nor LF directivity control, so why not buy the D&D 8C-Studio version at the same price($10K USD) instead? The KH420 does seem like it would play louder, at least.
Playing louder I agree, and this means less THD and IMD than D&D when playing at the same SPL.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Playing louder I agree, and this means less THD and IMD than D&D when playing at the same SPL.

Yeah, problem is as-always, how do you translate meaningless THD/IMD numbers into audible issues. Erin's test indicated the THD was not audible compared to the benefits of the directivity and extension at 100dB from 4m. Maybe the KH420 will get 5dB louder than that, but is that a real benefit? In most use cases I suspect not.

dfuller

Major Contributor
It doesn't, not compared to the 80X0 series (or even arguably the 83X0 series). It's just the Ones where it doesn't behave near so well as a point source as a coaxial driver does. What the KH310s do have is a far less aggressive driver protection limiter.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Anyone had the KH310 for a long period let's say 5+ years and can say if they're reliable or not?

respice finem

Major Contributor
The KH310A is one of the best reviewed monitors here. As a matter of fact Neumann is up there with the best when it comes to measurements, thus, sonic performance in layman terms, they sound good too. They don't use DSP, a testimony of the advanced in R&D that brought these on the market. And yes, they're old but they were, are and will continue to be excellent.

Peace.
Physics is even older, still ver. 1.0, and still good.
I'm seeing the Genelecs as being at the same level, sometimes more features price for price. The analog signal path of the KH 310A can be seen as an advantage for studio people (and some hifi guys), no latency, no additional ADC/DAC if analog signal is fed.

respice finem

Major Contributor
It isn't the case with ASR. As far as "press reviews" go, IDK but I'm seeing a certain trend since the 80s: British brands get better reviews in British press, German ones in German press... So I always take those with a pinch of salt.
One might argue the coaxial Genelecs should be better because they are coaxial ("point source"), the other might say it has disadvantages too. All probably "academic", if both are good enough for mixing/mastering, they're also good enough for home hi-fi. Any room imperfections will probably have orders of magnitude higher impact.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do they? From measurement POV I would say the just tested 8320 did worse than its counterpart KH80 so it depends rather on the models and personal preferences, both are some of the best neutral loudspeakers in the world.

Anyone had the KH310 for a long period let's say 5+ years and can say if they're reliable or not?
Neumann (before K+H) use similar electronics and serious engineering like Genelec and are used since decades in many broadcasting studios 24/7 with no excessive failures and even the repairability (especially of the analogue models) is usually no problem for several decades (like it is for a lot of classic Hifi electronics in contrast for example to many modern digital electronics like flatscreen TVs).

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Genelec doesn't make microphones. That's why they are better at making speakers!

Jokes aside, The Ones from Genelec is in a league of its own. Neumann doesn't have a comparable product in both performance and price, neither does any other manufacturer. Genelec has a larger 2-way catalog, and Neumann only offers a 4" and 5.25". While it's arguable whether the KH120 is better than the 8030, the latest KH80DSP measures better than 8320 and presumably better than the 8020 while being cheaper than both. In my opinion, the product positioning of the KH80DSP is incredibly surgical, and so is that of the KH310. Genelec doesn't offer a 3-way 8" in the KH310's price range, and I am not even aware of another compact 3-way studio monitor at this price range except for the Hedd Type 20 and Barefoot FP01. Some might prefer them over the KH310, but I don't think they will measure better than the KH310.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
How Close do they sound to KH120?
If you close your eyes would they sound exactly like KH120 but with more bass? I'm asking because i liked the 8030 more than KH120.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, not exactly the same. KH310 are a bit better i think, because of their special midrange. Never did a direct (or blind) comparison though. But most differences between well designed neutral speakers (all of them) are overshadowed by their interaction and integration with the room. If you are still talking about a 3x3m room (?) it is very likely that a kh120+750+MA1 will sound better than a KH310 alone. But KH310+750+MA1 would be best, i think. I remember i wrote the same thing a few months ago... haven't you asked the same question back then?

Tigi

... and I am not even aware of another compact 3-way studio monitor at this price range except for the Hedd Type 20 and Barefoot FP01...

I would add Dynaudio LYD48 to this list of (relatively) affordable 3-way monitors. I have never heard them, but some reviewers really praise them, especially their phantom center and bass response.

As regards KH310s, their price increase at Thomann.de (from 1666 to 1869 EUR per unit) was a strong impulse for me to buy them in a Czech e-shop (where the price increase finally occurred with a delay of about three weeks). I don't want to evaluate the sound yet after such a short time. But one thing I want to say: These Neumanns contradict the popular audiophile theory that studio monitors sound clinical and boring, unpleasantly reveal imperfections in recordings and that they are like sound scalpel, not suitable for hifi listening. In my short experience, the opposite is true - these speakers sound very natural and smooth in midrange and highs, and their presentation seems to be generally engaging and entertaining. I listen at a distance of about 3 meters, so the room is also a significant factor.

Last edited:

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I would add Dynaudio LYD48 to this list of (relatively) affordable 3-way monitors. I have never heard them, but some reviewers really praise them, especially their phantom center and bass response.

As regards KH310s, their price increase at Thomann.de (from 1666 to 1869 EUR per unit) was a strong impulse for me to buy them in a Czech e-shop (where the price increase finally occurred with a delay of about three weeks). I don't want to evaluate the sound yet after such a short time. But one thing I want to say: These Neumanns contradict the popular audiophile theory that studio monitors sound clinical and boring, unpleasantly reveal imperfections in recordings, so that they are like sound scalpel, not suitable for hifi listening. In my short experience, these speakers sound very natural and smooth in midrange and highs, their presentation seems to be generally engaging and entertaining. I listen at a distance of about 3 meters, so the room is also a significant factor.
Recommended distance by neumann 1m 2,5 m.

I never understood why audiophile do not respect the manual.

Tigi

Frgirard, of course, I know the recommended distance mentioned in the manual (the specified maximum is 6 meters). But the reality in my living room is a determining factor in this regard. In any case, even at this medium distance of 3 meters, they sound great.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
...These Neumanns contradict the popular audiophile theory that studio monitors sound clinical and boring, unpleasantly reveal imperfections in recordings and that they are like sound scalpel, not suitable for hifi listening. In my short experience, the opposite is true - these speakers sound very natural and smooth in midrange and highs, and their presentation seems to be generally engaging and entertaining. I listen at a distance of about 3 meters, so the room is also a significant factor.
This. 2 meters here, same observations. One subjective quality criterion for me is, I can listen for hours without getting tired. And the waveguides for treble and midrange help to "tame" the room.

Top Bottom