• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

Infinit0

Not Necessarily
They could make it a shorter cycle with KH420 II If they already developed the new tech for KH120 II and KH150
1689324738693.png

Pio

Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Enthusiasts will remain .. enthusiasts .. will always demand for more ... for less ;)
I wonder honestly what is it to improve on these Neuman models (120,150,310, 420) that would make significant, audible difference?
This KH310 is already stellar... Perhaps a different shape/orientation, more conventional/vertical?

Or Aluminum enclosures :facepalm:
Mhh? @Pearljam5000 ?
:p

Peace.

Infinit0

Hi

Enthusiasts will remain .. enthusiasts .. will always demand for more ... for less ;)
I wonder honestly what is it to improve on these Neuman models (120,150,310, 420) that would make significant, audible difference?
This KH310 is already stellar... Perhaps a different shape/orientation, more conventional/vertical?

Mhh? @Pearljam5000 ?

Peace.
Take the example of the KH120II compared to the KH120.
What I imagine is: improved low end response, more SPL, DSP included so no need to KH750 for using MA1. No aluminum :) haha.
And then I dont know if differrent crossover, or improved mid woofer/woofer, etc.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Mhh? @Pearljam5000 ?

Peace.
Most important for me would be a more smooth horizontal directivity. If my KH310 broke today, i would not buy them again, but more likely the KH150 at the moment (use case: less than 2m distance, small room, close side walls).

1689337835564.png

Pio

Forum Donor
How could they mannage to listen to the full potential of B&W speakers if KH310’s are blocking the way?
I owned 3 series of B&W 802's... trust me, they aren't missing much.. LOL

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How could they mannage to listen to the full potential of B&W speakers if KH310’s are blocking the way?
Because they don't block. Mids and Highs have free way, bass cannot be blocked by such a small object.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I knew there were problems with the preference score when a thrice reviewed mini monitor with a 4 inch mid/woof scored higher than several well engineered floor standers with fairly smooth but not perfect directivity curves that could play 10db louder and go a full octave or more deeper with lower distortion levels. It was clear to me at that point that certain important criterea weren't being properly weighted if they were even factored in at all.
People's opinions are unreliable. They are very subjective. Many people prefer speakers that do not have flat frequency response and that do have distortion. That is why ASR is so valuable - reality.

Infinit0

Exactly!
Speakers are like coffe, wine or whisky tasting. Subjective.

But science, is science. You can't fight or argue against that, facts not beliefs.

Reactions: Pio

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Exactly!
Speakers are like coffe, wine or whisky tasting. Subjective.

But science, is science. You can't fight or argue against that, facts not beliefs.
Yes - so much subjective preferences. But these subjective preferences say nothing about how good the speaker/monitor is. The subjective impressions say a lot about the listener - not the speaker/monitor. Someone may like deep hip hop beats with greatly emphasized bass. Another person might prefer a bright sound instead of flat frequency response.

But ASR - and science - determines qualities about the speaker/monitor itself. That is what is important.

Reactions: CMB

Pio

Forum Donor

dfuller

Major Contributor
cuz most are deaf ...
They also like to listen at truly terrifying levels and 310s just do not do that. They don't have the amp for it. 420s just barely cut it with subs.

Pio

Forum Donor
That is actually a good point.
it's insane how loud artists like to listen, but mostly its all the touring SPL levels of the shows night after night. Same goes for DJs / mixers- most have hearing damage from crazy club SPLs night after night.

dfuller

Major Contributor
it's insane how loud artists like to listen, but mostly its all the touring SPL levels of the shows night after night. Same goes for DJs / mixers- most have hearing damage from crazy club SPLs night after night.
Apparently Dr Luke likes to listen at, and I quote here, "fight or flight inducing SPLs". Far as I remember he has the biggest PMC mains you can buy. Those things get truly hilariously loud.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I have listened to KH 150 with KH 310, side by side , to 2 different studios, and I chose easily both times the KH 150s.
Better stereo image, and even the low end was more juicy and extended on the 150s.
Not sure why, I was surprised, but it is what it is.
How is it possible with a smaller woofer and a 2-way vs a 3-way?

Top Bottom