• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 310A Review (Powered Monitor)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Sealed vs Ported? @amirm questioned this in his listening comments. Although he described the bass of the 310s as "clean". . .

"Elimination of bass port (I think) has resulted in very clean low frequency response."
Genelec 8050 also has very clean and tight bass

NeoZs99

The KH750 is very restricted in terms of SPL at low frequencies, so I would recommend either a KH810 or a Rythmik F12 or L12 instead.
The KH810 is out of my budget unfortunately and along with the KH750 I could also have the MA1 in the future.

temps

i

if you listen at low spl you can but only at low spl.
With room gain it should be more than adequate. It does 85dB @ 1M free-field at 20hz which is excellent for its size. Neumann also claims it has top class A-D-A conversion in it, and it will linearize the crossovers on the satellites attached to it, which you lose going with literally any other option.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
I bought my kh420 without listening. Based on measurements.
The better choice I did in my audio life.
That makes 2 of us.
Over 2 years later, no regrets, more like a big smile.

TimWellens

Hi everyone!
I love this forum,glad I found you guys’n’girls!
I know my post is more a post for the REW forum but I found out that there are more Neumann KH310A experts on this forum than
on the REW forum so here I am ;)
I just did my (first decent) measurement,gear used is an Apollo Twin X,RAM Heritage monitor controller.2x Neumann KH310a’s and a UMIK-1.
I did 4 REW measurements. All measurements are done at listening position with Umik-1 mounted on a MIC-stand at ear hight.

First measurement is Umik-1 in listening position pointing forward (0 degree file loaded) of the L+R Neumann KH310a’s. (L+R stereo). Color code is RED

Second measurement is Umik-1 in listening position pointing forward (0 degree file loaded) and aimed at the LEFT monitor. (LEFT OUTPUT ONLY). Color code is GREEN

Third measurement is Umik-1 in listening position pointing forward (0 degree file loaded) and aimed at the RIGHT monitor. (RIGHT OUTPUT ONLY).Color code is BLUE

Fourth measurement is Umik-1 in listening position pointing towards ceiling (90 degree file loaded) of L+R monitors.
(L+R stereo) for lower frequencies.Color Code is Orange

I’m new to REW and a noob in room acoustics. My walls are treated with acoustic foam panels and I have bass traps in every corner.

I have 2 questions.

1) Some of you maybe have seen my previous thread (J test). I accidently did a J test not meant for playing thru loudspeakers.I failed to read the accompanying red text saying ‘NOT FOR PLAYING THRU LOUDSPEAKERS CAN DESTROY TWEETERS’. (I know very stupid but I got carried away testing the various generators in REW).The signal played pretty loud thru both Neumann’s for about 5-6 seconds.
Can someone take a look and see if there is any damage done to the tweeters? The J-signal blasted thru the L+R monitors so comparing the left monitor with the right is difficult as both could be affected.
2) As I’m new in this measurement business (love it so far) could somebody help a noob out and tell me how my diagrams are looking? They look kinda not good to me,or is it not so bad after all? It’s a small/medium sized room with acoustic foam plastered on all walls and some foamy bass traps in each corner.There is a window to the left of the room which I stuffed with big pillows so It’s completely covered.
.mdat file included in WETRANSFER link,4 diagrams in total (please see up for details) all with 1/6 smoothing.

WETRANSFER link for .mdat file : https://we.tl/t-8pde1DPyFn

Sorry I have to do this thru WETRANSFER but I zipped the file to 5,5mb but file still too big to attach here.

Thank you so much x

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Does anyone know why they used a completely different bass driver on the KH420( from the looks of it)
And not just a bigger version of the KH310 driver?
Also when is the KH420 review coming out;)
353560.jpg

Vintage57

Forum Donor

dfuller

Major Contributor
Does anyone know why they used a completely different bass driver on the KH420( from the looks of it)
And not just a bigger version of the KH310 driver?
Presumably because they had different requirements, given the 310's sealed alignment. A driver optimized for sealed isn't necessarily going to do so well in a bass reflex design and vice versa.

mulderX

Hallo there!
Would someone continue with the A or D version?
They have about 500€ more.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't need the features of the D, take the A. If you don't know, you probably don't need it.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
. But some say that phase correction can improve things like transient in (ultra) nearfield listening too, which the KH310A can only have with the KH750DSP and MA-1 (and I'm skeptical of phase correction without point source speakers).

Can you recommend some reading on this? I'm hoping to do a nearfield Auro with my 750, 310s, 120s, and 80s sometime soon and I can't make up my mind re: MA-1 or other. MA-1 makes a point for touting that phase correction and I can't find any impartial data around it's effectiveness.

One obvious issue for me, 750 DSP can only make adjustments for 2 speakers so that'd be 310's with 120's left out in the cold. I might be willing to get another 750 if they can work in tandem, but last I checked that wasn't supported.

Habu

Just for the eyes: more WAF compatible

49B717A9-D6FE-45F3-99BB-8259A12C053F.png

Thanks to igor_xxxx for xpictures of HIS system!

Previously:
84B95051-4D12-4D82-9350-AAC2453BC952.png

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Just for the eyes:

View attachment 183843

Thanks to igor_xxxx

Previously:
View attachment 183844
Looks great in both photos, but I do like those grills

sharock

Just for the eyes: more WAF compatible

Previously:

I actually like the previous arrangement but can understand why it was changed!:)

I'm interested to know if you did measurements of before and after?

Reactions: CMB

DSJR

Major Contributor
Mid-tweets on the outside?

Habu

I actually like the previous arrangement but can understand why it was changed!:)

I'm interested to know if you did measurements of before and after?
Not my system, nor my room !
This is igor_xxxx system, you have some answers on his post on « pink fish media » where you could directly ask him questions regarding stands and/or measurements. (Already some answers in his post)

Last edited:

Honken

I just bought a pair of these and well, to cut the story short - I'm very happy with them. They're replacing a pair of ELAC DBR-62s powered by a pair of Hypex NC400 monoblocks, and there is no question in my mind as to which sounds the best.

I'm rather amazed at how well they sound out of the box. The spatial qualities are impressive to say the least, and vocals sound excellent. I'm very happy with the tonality out of the box. I'll run measurements etc. at a later date to see how they actually differ from my old setup.

I've been thinking long and hard what speakers I wanted to upgrade (sidegrade?) to from the DBR-62s and in the end I chose these. I bought them blind.

I've heard Genelec's the Ones at dealer demo rooms (Undentia in Malmö, Sweden), and sure, perhaps those sounded better. It's very hard to tell which speaker sound better to me, and if it did, why? Their rooms are treated a lot better than what I could arrange with my living room.

I think I've found my end game.

Top Bottom