• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 470 90.9%

• Total voters

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
One extra conversion is quite a bit less than 50 so there is no chance at all that you could hear any difference.
Thank you for your answer, I was misled by the use of an hyperbole regarding the context.

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
Just ordered them, then i went to read the full specs on Neumann's site.
Fell on a very californian mention.
''WARNING (for California residents only): This product can expose you to chemicals including lead, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects and other reproductive harm. For more information go to: www.p65warnings.ca.gov.''
Translation: DO NOT EAT THIS SPEAKER

formdissolve

Forum Donor
What's the chance they're gonna make a Mk2 version like they did with the KH120?

Elder

What's the chance they're gonna make a Mk2 version like they did with the KH120?

The KH150 is from the same generation of tech improvements as the KH120II. You can see the original KH120 was availible for a very long time before a refresh.

That's all anyone knows. One thing I do know though is you will drive yourself crazy always waiting for the "MK2", as that will turn into the "MK3" etc etc. Progress never stops, just buy what will be sufficient for your needs and make you happy today IMO.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
The KH150 is from the same generation of tech improvements as the KH120II. You can see the original KH120 was availible for a very long time before a refresh.

That's all anyone knows. One thing I do know though is you will drive yourself crazy always waiting for the "MK2", as that will turn into the "MK3" etc etc. Progress never stops, just buy what will be sufficient for your needs and make you happy today IMO.
Yes I understand that now. I was under the impression the 150 was out for awhile, hence the question, but since I got 3 responses saying otherwise we can all ignore it now

unpluggged

KH 120 II is the 5" version of the KH 150.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
KH 120 II is the 5" version of the KH 150.
Yeah am aware of the size difference, but was just wondering because according to Neumann the KH 150 uses a 24-bit DSP while the KH 120 II uses 32-bit with 64-bit floating point for the DSP. Made me wonder if the KH 120 II had newer tech in it. For my room size and listening habits, I will be going with the smaller 120 II's with maybe an upgrade path to 150's in the future.

If either sound as good as my baby KH 80's I'll be quite happy!

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Well, I used these for listening to music in a not-treated living room. They sound nice for sure. But for my use I noticed too little difference compared to my Mackie MR 624’s to justify the steep price. I returned them.
Well that's surprising
Maybe you should try some Genelecs instead

Infinit0

Well, I used these for listening to music in a not-treated living room. They sound nice for sure. But for my use I noticed too little difference compared to my Mackie MR 624’s to justify the steep price. I returned them.
Have you used the ma1 for calibrate your room? If you havent noticed diff is prob of your room then. You listened to your room not to the monitors.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you used the ma1 for calibrate your room? If you havent noticed diff is prob of your room then. You listened to your room not to the monitors.
I don't know measurements of the 624, but other Mackies are not bad, though.
I agree with the room-thing, but maybe the difference really is not that huge. Depends on how you use them.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I don't know measurements of the 624, but other Mackies are not bad, though.
I agree with the room-thing, but maybe the difference really is not that huge. Depends on how you use them.
The KH150 is supposed to be one of the best monitors on the planet and on the other hand there isn't a big difference from a budget monitor ?
How does it make sense ?

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The KH150 is supposed to be one of the best monitors on the planet and on the other hand there isn't a big difference from a budget monitor ?
How does it make sense ?
*one of the best monitors on the anechoic planet. Then you put it in a room and half of what makes it so good is drowned in reflections, SBIR, room modes, placement and expectations

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
*one of the best monitors on the anechoic planet. Then you put it in a room and half of what makes it so good is drowned in reflections, SBIR, room modes, placement and expectations
+ they are all just speakers, not magical pleasure devices like some reviews suggest (i think that is what you meant with "expectations").

boxerfan88

How does it make sense ?

And I wonder who gave the KH150 the title of "best monitor on the planet" ? :facepalm:

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
+ they are all just speakers, not magical pleasure devices like some reviews suggest (i think that is what you meant with "expectations").
exactly, especially flat studio monitors are somewhat unimpressive at first glance, as they excel in what they don't do (distortion, very wide dispersion, boosted frequencies etc.)

Top Bottom