• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 470 90.9%

• Total voters

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The brain wants to believe that the Focals that cost 10,000$ each , should be better lol
Not the brain, but some other part of a man's body. The same that thinks 8 inch is better than 6.5.

Pritaudio

it would have to be three way to better these, unless an issue of spl output.
and it would probably have to be better IMD due to more drivers.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So… KH120 II have been announced..!

Pritaudio

if the software dsp only sends mid signal to 5 inch, and all the bass to the kh750 sub, it can imitate 3 way with flexibility.
and more importantly lower imd compared to the kh150 alone.
(assuming that mid bass section is non directional for a mono sub system)
5 inch cone is ideal for mid reproduction.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For my new mixing/mastering station in my studio I purchased a pair of KH120A's and a pair of KH150's. I wondered what the sound difference would be between them. After level matching them I have been listening to a variety of HD recordings on Amazon Prime HD. I should note that I listen in very nearfield.
20230413_123843.jpg

It is very difficult to tell the difference between them. Where there is a difference, it is very slight. Of course where a song has low frequency content below the 120's range, I can hear a difference. (But there are very few songs that have any bass content that low. I listen to mostly pop and jazz and blues).

I think it would be interesting to have a double blind test of the KH120A and KH150 - or even better, the KH120 II and KH150. In order to be meaningful it would have to be very carefully done.

mj30250

Two of the biggest advantages of the KH 150s are much higher SPL capabilities and lower bass extension. At desktop distances at moderate volumes, and especially when playing music lacking lower bass content, these benefits aren't being exploited.

Of course, MA-1 can be utilized with the KH 150s by themselves, not so with the 120s. For anyone unwilling and/or unpracticed in performing their own measurements and EQ, this could provide a significant advantage to the 150s.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
From this non-blind evaluation it sounded very similar. So similar that I would forget which I was listening to and have to look at the monitor selection button.
Well it's a little disappointing as you would expect the newer more expensive model to sound better in some ways

teashea

Well it's a little disappointing as you would expect the newer more expensive model to sound better in some ways
Actually I think that it is encouraging. If one looks at the test measurements of the KH120A and the KH150, the bottom line is that they are both excellent. To me this (somewhat unreliable) test of mine simply validates the test measurements. After all, it a monitor has a flat frequency response and low distortion, one cannot really improve on it significantly.................

That being said, I suspect that there are instances of certain songs where the KH150 will sound better. I also suspect that the KH120 II's will pretty much make all differences disappear - except bass extension.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Actually I think that it is encouraging. If one looks at the test measurements of the KH120A and the KH150, the bottom line is that they are both excellent. To me this (somewhat unreliable) test of mine simply validates the test measurements. After all, it a monitor has a flat frequency response and low distortion, one cannot really improve on it significantly.................

That being said, I suspect that there are instances of certain songs where the KH150 will sound better. I also suspect that the KH120 II's will pretty much make all differences disappear - except bass extension.
In a blind test can you hear a difference between KH150 and 310?

MrSoul4470

I'm pretty sure the differences you hear would be sobering. They certainly would be anything but "big". I once compared KH 120 and KH 310 in my (back then completely untreated) living room and hardly could tell the two apart. All Neumann speakers share the same "sound signature" (or absence of it). A 3-way speaker doesn't necessarily sound better than a 2-way speaker and deeper bass can only be heard on certain songs. If you don't need the SPL of the larger speaker then the smaller one will absolutely do.

teashea

I'm pretty sure the differences you hear would be sobering. They certainly would be anything but "big". I once compared KH 120 and KH 310 in my (back then completely untreated) living room and hardly could tell the two apart. All Neumann speakers share the same "sound signature" (or absence of it). A 3-way speaker doesn't necessarily sound better than a 2-way speaker and deeper bass can only be heard on certain songs. If you don't need the SPL of the larger speaker then the smaller one will absolutely do.
Good points.

teashea

I'm sure differences would be big Becaue of size and 2-way vs 3-way obviously
But the KH150 is a newer design and has DSP. They both are quite good with flat frequency response and low distortion.

Top Bottom