• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann KH 150 Monitor Review

Rate this studio monitor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 470 90.9%

• Total voters

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tiny addition: The two RJ 45 Sockets on the KH 150 AES67 can both be used for (DSP) control and for the AES67 Stream. Either one at a time or both at the same time in a redundant AES67 stream configuration. If redundancy is not desired, a single network cable is sufficient to provide the device with audio and control it.
Users who need their audio over IP to be extremely resilient against network failures (for example in live broadcast applications) often use redundant AES67 (two network cables per device).
Thank you for the inputs @jj-wohlgemuth,
Should a user expect any "improved' performance -- in reference to the Dante AVIO dongles which AmirM has previously tested/reviewed?
Do you have the NeumanN KH 150AES measurement' results which you can share with us?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Thank you for the inputs @jj-wohlgemuth,
Should a user expect any "improved' performance -- in reference to the Dante AVIO dongles which AmirM has previously tested/reviewed?
Do you have the NeumanN KH 150AES measurement' results which you can share with us?
It's not a Dante Network interface
Edit: It may work yes, that would require more reading but it's still not the Dante Protocol. So not sure sorry.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

As usual, exceptional, category-defining performances from Neumann. Check mate(?!) :)
It is interesting that at ASR, when it comes to end game, Neumann is often forgotten. Yet, it seems that Neumann has 5 (6 if we count the KH80) :eek:speakers in the ASR top ten in term of measurements, In fact top 5 seems to have 3 Neumann!!! KH 150, KH120, KH 420.

Time to control the "Genelec the best", knee-jerk reaction we tend to have here.... There is a New King.

Peace
It's true, I always think Genelec! This speaker has changed some of my opinions on that, a very worthy contender.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Hi

As usual, exceptional, category-defining performances from Neumann. Check mate(?!) :)
It is interesting that at ASR, when it comes to end game, Neumann is often forgotten. Yet, it seems that Neumann has 5 (6 if we count the KH80) :eek:speakers in the ASR top ten in term of measurements, In fact top 5 seems to have 3 Neumann!!! KH 150, KH120, KH 420.

Time to control the "Genelec the best", knee-jerk reaction we tend to have here.... There is a New King.

Peace
Genelec *is* the best
To my ears at least (;

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not a Dante Network interface
Edit: It may work yes, that would require more reading but it's still not the Dante Protocol. So not sure sorry.
AES67 – Audio over IP
Additionally, the KH 150 AES67 model variant offers integrated redundant AES67 audio network ports that are fully compliant with broadcast standards such as ST 2110, ST 2022-7 redundancy, and RAVENNA. At the same time, the KH 150 AES67 is compatible with DANTE®-generated AES67 network streams.
From <https://en-de.neumann.com/kh-150-aes67>
Pricing & Availability
The KH 150 and KH 150 AES67 will be available in September 2022. List prices: KH 150 € 1,650 / $ 1,750 ; KH 150 AES67 € 1,895 / $ 1,999.

From <https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pr...nn-kh-150-dsp-powered-studio-monitor-revealed>

EDIT: The KH 150 becomes a load (a "Receiver") on the Dante network link; the source (the "Transmitter") in this case could be most any output that starts as an analog line level output.
[At times, the words "input" and "output" become confusing in network connections; thus arrows (stamped on the hardware interfaces) appear to lessen that confusion]

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
You only say that cuz of Neumann's new affinity for plastic ;)
I admit that once i touched those sexy aluminum cabinets i just can't go back to plastic (;
I do wonder why the cheaper KH120 is aluminum and KH150 isn't

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I admit that once i touched those sexy aluminum cabinets i just can't go back to plastic (;
I do wonder why the cheaper KH120 is aluminum and KH150 isn't

The KH150 enclosure uses a wooden frame with polycarbonate shells front and back. It's a new cabinet design from Neumann.

Check min 1:50

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Order just placed for a pair of Neumann KH150s at Sweetwater. I tried to convince myself to not do it but can't pass the big discount I got and the 48 months financing ;) These would be replacing and taking over my 8 years old Dynaudio BM5 MK IIIs.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Order just placed for a pair of Neumann KH150s at Sweetwater. I tried to convince myself to not do it but can't pass the big discount I got and the 48 months financing ;) These would be replacing and taking over my 8 years old Dynaudio BM5 MK IIIs.
Congrats
Waiting for your impressions :)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
For those asking me what discount I got, please understand that I can't disclose that information. At my place of work, we have NET 30 accounts with Sweetwater and Guitar Center Pro and the prices we get are very close, with discounts from 10% to 25% and because I'm a 15 years Sweetwater customer I also get very good discounts. Also have a personal Sweetwater credit account so that helps. Best way to find if you can get a discount is contacting Sweetwater directly. BTW, I can't get any discounts for Genelec speakers because Genelec does not allow Sweetwater or Guitar Center Pro to sell bellow MSRP.

Last edited:

SlothRock

Best price I’ve seen so far is $2799 for a pair from Thomann. Pretty good discount honestly:

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Best price I’ve seen so far is $2799 for a pair from Thomann. Pretty good discount honestly:

Neumann and Genelec prices in EU are always lower compared to US prices. Thomann can't ship Neumann to the US.

SlothRock

Neumann and Genelec prices in EU are always lower compared to US prices. Thomann can't ship Neumann to the US.
Really? I got all the way through to the check out with my shipping address and everything to peep the final number and it was gonna let me purchase, too.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yep, then you will get hit by import and custom fees as soon the speakers arrive to the USA :)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
also wouldn't a monitor like KH150 that has used DSP to linearize phase response make up for one disadvantage a traditional two way has relative to a coaxial?
Sure, but this can be done only at one vertical angle (typically 0°), at others the vertical radiation will always have phase difference at the crossover region due to different path lengths so the reflections from the desk, floor and ceiling won't be comparable.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Screenshot_20221213_013611_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221213_013627_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221213_013635_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221213_013640_Chrome.jpg

Realistically how much louder is the KH310 vs KH150?

Top Bottom