• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SinkMan

I have been using my HD559s for about 3 years, and I love these, the one thing which I like very much about these are the punchy/muddy bass but when I read the reviews most of them didn't like the bass as it was too muddy. So I am looking to upgrade these, what i want in my next pair is a wider soundstage, good imaging, and detailed bass. The hd 559s were my second pair of headphones(first was beats ep), although it did have a wide soundstage, i was able to tell that the headphones was not that impressive after playing some fps games, since it has terrible imaging.
The headphones that I had in my mind was dt 1770s or the dt 1990, I am going to pair it with the ifi zen dac v2 and later i will get the ifi zen can to stack it. I thought that i would get the dt1990s since it has great imaging but i couldn't find anyone who has used the 1990s with the ifi zen can/zen dac v2 for the bass boost. Then i thought i would get the dt 1770s since it has great bass plus its closed back meaning the sound stage would not be wide enough and it also do not have very good imaging according to the reviews i read/saw. So I a bit confused here, someone please help me to chose and if you have any other recommendations for headphones under 500 dollars or 450 euros/pounds , please feel free to tag in! Thank you in advance! :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have been using my HD559s for about 3 years, and I love these, the one thing which I like very much about these are the punchy/muddy bass but when I read the reviews most of them didn't like the bass as it was too muddy. So I am looking to upgrade these, what i want in my next pair is a wider soundstage, good imaging, and detailed bass.

Soooo... you really like the punchy/muddy bass but as most reviewers didn't like them and thought the bass was too muddy you suddenly don't want punchy/muddy bass you really like ?

Wider soundstage... imaging... is all personal and not the same for everyone.
Detailed bass ? You seem to like punchy/muddy bass why would you want to go for kind-of the opposite ?

DT1770 and DT1990 are not really similar headphones, both differ from HD559.

Have you thought of EQ'ing the 559 ?
Can you visit some store that sells headphones and get an idea what you are really after ?

mc.god

graph.png

Probably what you call "terrible imaging" is due to that muddyness in the bass + that big dip at 1500 Hz, so is a direct consequence of the signature you say to love.
Again, since you say loving the muddy bass, as @solderdude suggested you should first try EQing the 559 to a more natural and clear curve and see if it's what you are after, maybe you could like it just addng a bit of energy at 1500Hz to fill the dip.

Zardozz

Don't know about HD559 but I have the HD558 which I understand the only difference is some tweaks... People say HD559 gets a little more bass at the cost of muddying up the clarity.

Contradictions in your question make giving advice harder.

But I'm guessing you just want your next headphone to have nice bass quality and will answer under this assumption. FYI, "muddy" is not actually a good quality, even among bass-lovers.

The headphones you mention are 250 ohms. I have not heard those particular headphones on a Zen Dac but feel qualified to make a pretty good guess, because I've heard my DT770 Pro 250Ω on the Zen Dac V2. It's no bueno. This pairing does not qualify as "an upgrade to HD559 to tide me over until I get a Zen Can". It's handicapped and inferior right from the start. Why? The Zen Dac V2 simply can't drive those as well as the HD559 and you'd be spending big bucks for a temporary downgrade. With those cans, you'd be better off getting a $9 apple dongle dac and feeding the Zen Can with it.

You're looking for best value with great bass, in the $500 range of the DT1770? There is a ton of better stuff in my opinion.

You'd be better off looking at other headphones. I can't make recommendations without knowing what you'll have as the source, dac, and amp.

Top Bottom