• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Portable dac

nike1212

Hi everyone,

I need some advice on choosing a good DAC that can be used for everything. I have Logitech z906 speakers, a car, and a pair of B&W P7 S2 headphones. I also want to use Bluetooth.

I have tried Mojo 2 and FiiO BTR7, but I was not satisfied with either of them.
The Mojo 2 was too pricey for the sound quality it delivered. It had a weird bass response that I did not like.
The FiiO BTR7 was decent, but the battery life was poor and it sounded too flat for my taste. I prefer a warm sound and a wide soundstage.

I have done some research and found two DACs that seem promising: Topping G5 and iFi Audio xDSD. They both have good reviews, and they both support bluetooth.
However, I am not sure which one would suit me better, or if there are other options that I should consider.

Has anyone here used these DACs or have any recommendations for me? I would appreciate any help.

• It should work with my Logitech z906 speakers, my car stereo, and my B&W P7 S2 headphones.
  • It should support Bluetooth for wireless convenience.
  • It should have a warm sound and a wide soundstage.

Thanks in advance!

OP
nike1212

nike1212

I believe the Qudelix 5K is the best option all around.
Nothing comes close to the quality and number of features that it has.
Hi, Thanks for your advice.

If we compare the Fiio Btr7
Does it have better soundstage and warmer sound?
How would you describe the diffrence?

staticV3

Master Contributor
If we compare the Fiio Btr7
How would you describe the diffrence?
The Qudelix 5K has built-in Parametric EQ and Crossfeed, so you can make the sound as warm as you want and customize the soundstage to your liking.

raif71

Major Contributor
You can try IFI Hipdac 2. I have the 1st gen and it has a warm sound.

JLGF1

When did "warm" become a good thing? I hear that a lot and I still don't get it.

A DAC shouldn't even have a sound signature on it's own. If it does it's miniscule, imo.

And if it's not "warm" whatever that is...that's what the EQ is for.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Warmth and soundstage from a dac? How does that work?

OP
nike1212

nike1212

When did "warm" become a good thing? I hear that a lot and I still don't get it.

A DAC shouldn't even have a sound signature on it's own. If it does it's miniscule, imo.

And if it's not "warm" whatever that is...that's what the EQ is for.
You right, I'm new to all this. But I heard about tubs that make sound warm.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
True, thats one reason I didnt keep it also.
If you didn't like the sound of Mojo2, it is difficult to recommend anything, as M2, regardless of all else, has a sound quality second to none, also the price has dropped recently.
Not knowing your headphones (if you have one) is another problem.
At any rate, for little money, the mentioned Qudelix is a good one, BTR7 is good too, but you didn't like it.
ifi stuff are good too.
Just a suggestion, why do you need BT?
BT is for wireless audio, once you get a portable DAC, then you are wired! BT becomes irrelevant in my opinion.
I just as well get a good pair of BT head/ear phones and bypass the bulky DAC.

JLGF1

I'll listen across tubes for a particular "warm" sound I grew up with. I'll chase that sound forever. You can listen across your graphs. It's fine. You do you, boo.
Distortion is cool.

OP
nike1212

nike1212

If you didn't like the sound of Mojo2, it is difficult to recommend anything, as M2, regardless of all else, has a sound quality second to none, also the price has dropped recently.
Not knowing your headphones (if you have one) is another problem.
At any rate, for little money, the mentioned Qudelix is a good one, BTR7 is good too, but you didn't like it.
ifi stuff are good too.
Just a suggestion, why do you need BT?
BT is for wireless audio, once you get a portable DAC, then you are wired! BT becomes irrelevant in my opinion.
I just as well get a good pair of BT head/ear phones and bypass the bulky DAC.
Mojo 2 did sound good but not enough for the money, the reason I want bluetooth is because I want to be able to stream Ldac to my speaker when I use my phone. What do you think about "ifi audio xdsd gryphon"?

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mojo 2 did sound good but not enough for the money, the reason I want bluetooth is because I want to be able to stream Ldac to my speaker when I use my phone. What do you think about "ifi audio xdsd gryphon"?
That's twice the price of a Mojo2 !
If you really need one for your speakers, get a Topping DX3 pro+. For £200, its got everything.
For portable, you don't need BT.

b7676

That's twice the price of a Mojo2 !
If you really need one for your speakers, get a Topping DX3 pro+. For £200, its got everything.
For portable, you don't need BT.
Mechanical stress and assured shortened life of the critical single port is a silly sacrifice for fidelity on-the-go.

Top Bottom