• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need new amp!

Nicasdream

I want to upgrade my gear but don't want to over pay for something I don't need

Currently have a pioneer elite A-20
And a pair of polk lsim 707s

In a 11 x10 room with treatment and listening to music around 80db to maybe 85db with peaks into the high 90s

Mostly listen to jazz and rap and then everything else

Just not sure how many watts I actually need

I'm getting a rotel cd11 tribute

And was thinking about getting the rotel a11 tribute to go with it but also considering going with the

Rotel rb-1582 and the rotel 1572 pre
But not sure if it would be overkill for me

Since I listen from 6 feet away in a small room at around 75-85db with peaks in the high 90dbs

Any help or recommendations would be helpful

Zek

Major Contributor
Look here
Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 01.19.43.png

OP
N

Nicasdream

So like around 90watts

For 85db with 17db max peaks

After that everything is a waste right?

Kind of wanted to try separate components but without wasting money and using the equipment to it's potential

Last edited:
OP
N

Nicasdream

Everything is hooked up

Went with the
Rotel rb-1582 mkii
Rotel rcd-1572 mkii
Cd11 tribute

It sounds really good listening at the same db's and it doesn't sound loud and I'm hearing things I haven't before

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Rotel makes excellent stuff.

Am I reading this correctly that you bought two different CD players?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
New gear can enhance that hearing things you haven't before thing :) I was going to say that A-20 is a fairly minimal amp, could well use some more watts....altho I'd find something better priced than that Rotel power amp. I usually use this spl calculator, hadn't seen the biamp thing before. The pre-amp is an RC1572mk2?

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looks like RA1572 is a pre. RCD1572 is a CD player. So, probably a typo.

Damn redundant use of nomenclature by Rotel.

OP
N

Nicasdream

New gear can enhance that hearing things you haven't before thing :) I was going to say that A-20 is a fairly minimal amp, could well use some more watts....altho I'd find something better priced than that Rotel power amp. I usually use this spl calculator, hadn't seen the biamp thing before. The pre-amp is an RC1572mk2?
Yeah RC is the preamp still wondering why you would want the cd player and preamp

And I'm not going crazy I think maybe the A-20 was straining a lot because I'm listening at the same db's and it doesn't sound boomy and like there's too much sound in the room

I honestly thought I wasn't going to hear a difference I'm scared now XD for my next system $$$

And I'm sure there's better gear for the money I spent but it's simple ordering online

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah RC is the preamp still wondering why you would want the cd player and preamp

And I'm not going crazy I think maybe the A-20 was straining a lot because I'm listening at the same db's and it doesn't sound boomy and like there's too much sound in the room

I honestly thought I wasn't going to hear a difference I'm scared now XD for my next system $$$

And I'm sure there's better gear for the money I spent but it's simple ordering online
Your post of listed equipment seemed to cite the cd player instead of preamp....

How do you know you're listening at same levels? Got some measurements to share? Boomy could be for a variety of reasons.

OP
N

Nicasdream

Your post of listed equipment seemed to cite the cd player instead of preamp....

How do you know you're listening at same levels? Got some measurements to share? Boomy could be for a variety of reasons.
Yeah it was auto correct

But I got the
CD tribute as a transport
RC pre
Rb power

And just have a galaxy audio db meter as my reference for the db's

I just hear everything more tight and refined and every song feels like the bpm is slower I guess because I'm hearing less distortion

I have my fender twin reverb tube amp on top of my audio rack don't know how it's altering the sound and I also have some adam audio 8" studio monitors behind my main speakers that I use for backing tracks

Have to tweak that I think

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah it was auto correct

But I got the
CD tribute as a transport
RC pre
Rb power

And just have a galaxy audio db meter as my reference for the db's

I just hear everything more tight and refined and every song feels like the bpm is slower I guess because I'm hearing less distortion

I have my fender twin reverb tube amp on top of my audio rack don't know how it's altering the sound and I also have some adam audio 8" studio monitors behind my main speakers that I use for backing tracks

Have to tweak that I think
Auto correct is so often correct wrong, I just disable that kind of bullsh*t. But I can spell, so maybe that's unusual.

Like to hear more about that extra amp/monitor you're using and why (audio reproduction isn't the same as audio production).

Tight and refined means what in real world stuff?

OP
N

Nicasdream

Auto correct is so often correct wrong, I just disable that kind of bullsh*t. But I can spell, so maybe that's unusual.

Like to hear more about that extra amp/monitor you're using and why (audio reproduction isn't the same as audio production).

Tight and refined means what in real world stuff?
Well the Adam audio monitors I just use when I'm playing my guitar for backing tracks

And by tighter and refined I mean it's more focused

I'm also a novice astronomer have you ever looked at something that is out of focus be it a telescope or camera ect

It sounds like that like I just turned a knob a little closer in focus by buying this gear

I'm listening to, miles, Johnny Cash, Elvis, 2pac,grant green, mobb deep, chet baker and wes Montgomery ect

And everything sounds more clear and precise

Top Bottom