• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help narrowing down integrated amp options to replace dying NAD

Ngower

Hello,

I had planned to replace my NAD C356BEE down the line as I work through a total system overhaul, but it seems to be slowly dying and so I'm looking at possible options to replace it. Other than the online "buy and return" audition process, I don't really have a way to listen to any of these amps so I'm buying blind.

I have an external phono and DAC so I only really care about the actual power/drive of these amps and don't care too much about additional bells and whistles. My hope is for a transparent, revealing, "reference" (e.g. not colored as warm or analytical or whatever other terms come out--I just want accurate reproduction) amplifier that can handle just about any speaker thrown at it. My current listening room is a 12x12 (ish) living room in an apartment, so I won't be doing much listening outside the 60-80db range. I will also add that I use these speakers to watch TV/movies with as well so I'd like something that excels with music but that also does okay with voices, dynamic action scenes, etc (it doesn't need to be incredible, just good enough).

Currently I'm running PSB Image B6 bookshelves, though I plan to upgrade to something like the JBL L82, PSB B600, Wharfedale Linton, etc.

I primarily listen to jazz, international (mostly African guitar-centric rock, some other stuff as well), 80s post-punk/new wave, shoegaze, and modern (90s/00s) indie rock.

In my own research the Rotel A12/A14 (and maybe 1572?) amps seem to fit the bill, at least on paper. The Yamaha AS801 gets a lot of love but I've never heard a Yamaha amp and a lot of people seem to be on completely opposite ends of the spectrum, which make it hard to know if it's worth looking into. I've also heard a Luxman in person that I've considered just saving up and splurging for because it's a beast, but realistically I probably don't need that much power.

Mean & Green

I’d say choose the amplifier out of your shortlist that most fits your needs in terms of connectivity and functionality as long as it electrically matches your speaker impedance rating.

Unless you have incredibly inefficient speakers and a very large room to fill you won’t need masses of power.

I haven’t looked specifically into the amps you’ve mentioned, but they are all respected and well established brands. They will be neutral high fidelity components with inaudible distortion under normal usage conditions.

Forget about ‘warm’ and ’bright’ etc, that is the kind of imaginary stuff journalists talk about to give them something to write.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
If memory serves, NAD integrateds have some issues with undersized resistors in the line stage power supply section or something like that. That would be a fairly minor fault in the grand scheme of things and well worth a trip to the repair shop (assuming you can find one, that is).

The C356BEE wasn't cheap a decade ago and is a good amplifier otherwise. I would only consider leaving it behind if that meant some substantial improvement (e.g. Class D efficiency gains and/or room EQ).

OP
N

Ngower

If memory serves, NAD integrateds have some issues with undersized resistors in the line stage power supply section or something like that. That would be a fairly minor fault in the grand scheme of things and well worth a trip to the repair shop (assuming you can find one, that is).

The C356BEE wasn't cheap a decade ago and is a good amplifier otherwise. I would only consider leaving it behind if that meant some substantial improvement (e.g. Class D efficiency gains and/or room EQ).
I have plans to get it fixed (or at least take it in) and keep it but I was eyeing an amp upgrade down the road anyways, so it’s just speeding that process up.

Top Bottom