• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need a good amplifier for my ELAC FS247 stereo floor speakers. Need warm and full sound at low volume.

raindance

Major Contributor
Get a Yamaha amp with variable loudness or a home theater receiver with Audyssey Dynamic EQ (Denon or Marantz come to mind). Audyssey Dynamic EQ requires running the calibration procedure for the receiver, which is pretty simple. The Yamaha variable loudness works out of the box and has a simple process, in the manual, for usage.

Will Call

Hi guys

I currently use a Cambridge audio CXA60 to drive my FS247 ELAC speakers.
But I've always felt that the sound is flat and could open up more. I only listen at around 20-25% of the volume. It's only when I dial the volume way higher, that the sound really shines.

I would like a warmer and fuller sound at low volume, with clarity and strong imaging.

Should I be pairing the speakers with a different amplifier or perhaps a stronger one? What would you guys suggest?

Thanks
Philip
My Marantz PM 8004 sound very good at all volume. It is a older model. The current model is PM8006. Bear in mind it also depends on rest of the components of the setup. Such as interconnects, speaker wires, sources, speakers placement.....

raindance

Major Contributor
My Marantz PM 8004 sound very good at all volume. It is a older model. The current model is PM8006. Bear in mind it also depends on rest of the components of the setup. Such as interconnects, speaker wires, sources, speakers placement.....
Interconnects and speaker cables are NOT typically components that will affect sound quality unless they are unbelievably poorly engineered. Speaker placement is very important. A loudness control can help with low volume listening.

Will Call

Interconnects and speaker cables are NOT typically components that will affect sound quality unless they are unbelievably poorly engineered. Speaker placement is very important. A loudness control can help with low volume listening.
Sorry. I have to disagree. Interconnect and speaker wires are crucial to sound quality if you have a decent setup.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

One wonders why people with such ridiculous claims opt to participate here. Apparently they cannot grasp the reason this site exists.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One wonders why people with such ridiculous claims opt to participate here. Apparently they cannot grasp the reason this site exists.
I've been told that some people on the internet are simply stirring up trouble ;)

Slayer

Sorry. I have to disagree. Interconnect and speaker wires are crucial to sound quality if you have a decent setup.
OIP.8vr3wz8tifa55WiflIFQzQHaEo

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
None of the systems here are revealing enough. They'll never know the delicate nuances of properly synergized power and speaker cables.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
None of the systems here are revealing enough. They'll never know the delicate nuances of properly synergized power and speaker cables.

LOL...if you can't find a real reason to substantiate your claims (like how a merger will increase overall profits) there's always "synergy." :D:D:D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL...if you can't find a real reason to substantiate your claims (like how a merger will increase overall profits) there's always "synergy." :D:D:D
Synergy pretty much explains everything.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Overseas

Major Contributor
It is the other way round.
Wires do not matter unless they are not decent, which is pretty hard to get (that is poor/non decent wires). Periodically Amir invests himself in testing cables, in the hope of scientifically identifying non decent cables. Nope, no luck after many attempts.

Talisman

Forum Donor
I really can't understand this unnecessary sarcasm. To me people who say cables don't matter in hifi have very bad ears.
I did blind tests, in one I connected my dac to my amplifier with good quality rca cables and I listened, then my brother, keeping me blindfolded, removed the rca cable, and I could recognize 10/10 when the rca cable was present and when not.
Even my wife, when there was no rca cable, came from the kitchen to ask me what I had done to my sound system, and that she could hear a night and day difference between when I used the cable and when I didn't.
In my experience, hifi cables are essential, they must be used.

Talisman

Forum Donor
Hi guys

I currently use a Cambridge audio CXA60 to drive my FS247 ELAC speakers.
But I've always felt that the sound is flat and could open up more. I only listen at around 20-25% of the volume. It's only when I dial the volume way higher, that the sound really shines.

I would like a warmer and fuller sound at low volume, with clarity and strong imaging.

Should I be pairing the speakers with a different amplifier or perhaps a stronger one? What would you guys suggest?

Thanks
Philip
Getting serious, the low volume problem is almost always due to our ears. As they wrote to you, at low volume our brain "equalizes" the various frequencies differently, highlighting the medium frequencies and bringing the treble and bass down. The old amps had the great 'loudness' button which did just that, at low volume it brought out the bass and treble again, making for a nice sound. Sadly years of pseudo audiophile brainwashing has convinced us all that this is absolute evil. It wasn't.
Find a good amp with a loudness feature (or better yet volume adaptive loudness) like a yamaha as 701 or similar and get back to enjoying yourself at low volume.
Alternatively, if you only use bluetooth streaming from your smartphone, you can find many good multiband equalizer apps that could easily solve your problem at almost no cost.
For example, in the evening I play background jazz at very low volume from an amplifier without tone controls, what I just do is equalize the signal I send and the effect is the same.
Screenshot_20230517_222725_com.wiseschematics.reeq01.jpg

Slayer

I really can't understand this unnecessary sarcasm. To me people who say cables don't matter in hifi have very bad ears.
I did blind tests, in one I connected my dac to my amplifier with good quality rca cables and I listened, then my brother, keeping me blindfolded, removed the rca cable, and I could recognize 10/10 when the rca cable was present and when not.
Even my wife, when there was no rca cable, came from the kitchen to ask me what I had done to my sound system, and that she could hear a night and day difference between when I used the cable and when I didn't.
In my experience, hifi cables are essential, they must be used.
Fning priceless.
Thank you, I needed that. I about chocked drinking my pepsi, I laughed so hard. Again, well done sir.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'd be absolutely wrong. As a new member welcome to ASR but please do some reading.

OP
P

Pflamingo

Isn't an AVR overkill and waste for my purpose? Would be better to use the extra money on a solid stereo amplifier? I get the thing about the Audyssey EQ thing.

Benatalaya

Hola chicos

Actualmente uso un Cambridge audio CXA60 para controlar mis altavoces FS247 ELAC.
Pero siempre he sentido que el sonido es plano y podría abrirse más. Solo escucho alrededor del 20-25% del volumen. Solo cuando subo el volumen mucho más alto, el sonido realmente brilla.

Me gustaría un sonido más cálido y completo a bajo volumen, con claridad y una imagen fuerte.

¿Debería emparejar los parlantes con un amplificador diferente o quizás uno más fuerte? ¿Qué sugerirían ustedes?

Gracias
Felipe
Sabaj a30a

Top Bottom