• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neat new flash from Canon

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
That's pretty cool!

But still haven't used my 6D bought several years ago... :(

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Most of the time I hate using flashes. Canon's flashes have also trailed the competition. But good to see this trick pulled out of their sleeves with the new 470EX-AI

NOTICE that she has her lips in clamp mode in the first two photos, and she is smiling in the third.
The flash might be great, but Marketing tricks do not impress me.

iridium.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Ignoring the smile, the overall tonal balance looks much better to me in the last photo. But, I suspect any bounce flash would do just fine. I have memories of shooting and then realizing direct was wrong, then having to fiddle to figure out the best position for the bounce.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ignoring the smile, the overall tonal balance looks much better to me in the last photo

Assuming the last photo was actually shot the way they claim it was.

I think this is a gimmick. Pros are not going to let any AI decide the bounce for them and then wait till it spins around.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Having seen the two pictures ambient vs intelliflash, I think it's a bunch of rubbish.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NOTICE that she has her lips in clamp mode in the first two photos, and she is smiling in the third.
The flash might be great, but Marketing tricks do not impress me.

iridium.

What's worse is that this video is made by DPReview. Clearly unbiased right?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think the one useful thing is the re-orientation from horizontal to vertical framing.

On usefulness of bounced flash, I too often find that light falls off from top to bottom and as such, does not create pleasing images. I have also had the cast from color of the wall. I was surprised to not see the first effect in the shot in the image shown. It is possible they used small amount of fill flash. Or as mentioned by Iridium, it is a cheat.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not to mention, for portrait type shooting, the distraction effect on the subject. Could be an advantage for portraits of babies, though...

Cankin

Ignoring the smile, the overall tonal balance looks much better to me in the last photo. But, I suspect any bounce flash would do just fine. I have memories of shooting and then realizing direct was wrong, then having to fiddle to figure out the best position for the bounce.

I also like the one with bounce flash the most, the one with ambient light is fine and direct flash is worst.

They could have used manual WB, the colour of her sweater in each picture is different.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
But let's be honest, it looks really cool and weekend warrior prosumers will love it. If it is doing a WB correction from the initial roof bounce that is pretty amazing isn't it? I like the portrait/landscape auto rotation.

My 580exII does me, although I really don't know how to drive it properly. I have a foot in both camps (Nikon and Canon), but my focus (haha pun) is on just having fun with older DSLR bodies I pick up for peanuts.

Nikon in my experience as a complete amateur, just do all flash better than Canon. I have Nikon flashes (SB400,600 and 800) and just love them. Even on an ancient D70s, flash is perfect. I just can't get the same flash quality with old Canons (EOS20D,30D,40D and 60D) and my 430ex & 580exII.

Top Bottom