• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any 4499Ex DACs you recommend that I can use with a Flash card reader?

ZestClub

I don't like streamers at all because of the sluggish response/ reliability/ drop out/ EMF/ ongoing cost issues, amongst others.
At the moment I am using a Cayan N6 with dual 4497 DACs, and running with a flash card micro SD plugged in with all my music loaded on it in folders.
Using UApp with the MQA extension to play the music - works great!

But I am looking to upgrade to the dual 4499Ex/ AK4191 and have mains power rather than the battery needing to be recharged all the time.
Any DACs you recommend whereby I can just plug into the USB port an SDcard reader adapter + card?
And if so, will that work OK with out jitter/ noise etc.. or does it need some kind of buffer/ player?

OP
Z

ZestClub

The music you have in your card is mqa? Dont waste time with this format. Lossless FLAC has actually more fidelity without any bs.
A topic that got thrashed to death elsewhere - can anyone answer the topics question about playing SDcards through a DAC USB port?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t think you’ll have very many options (if any) with these very specific requirements. You’ll probably be best off with a Raspberry Pi to read the files, and a separate USB DAC of your liking. That should be fast and reliable enough.

Last edited:
OP
Z

ZestClub

I don’t think you’ll have very many options with these very specific requirements. You’ll probably be best off with a Raspberry Pi to read the files, and a separate USB DAC of your liking. That should be fast and reliable enough.
Are there any Raspberry PI's available that are prebuilt/ off the shelve that could do the job?
Just not keen to get stuck into some new avenue of tech if I don't have to.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
That's full blown DAP not DAC and unfortunately no. Future more I don't understand why you didn't use Hiby as its ment to go with and which is objective better now having 10 slots PEQ and all.
There whose Hiby R3 Pro with CS43131 that had 13h battery life but it's discontinued long ago. What you intend to drive with it? Future more it doesn't work like that that you plug in SD card reader and you are good to go especially not to DAC.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
There whose only one serie of DAC's ever that I known of that could charge Android phone slowly connected trough regular USB A to C cable and trough Hiby Music app only but they are old and not great performing now (old ES9018K2M DAC's and from beginning of their era) and that would be Tempotec Sonata iDSD and iDSD pro line.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@ZestClub again what do you want to achieve? Old Android phone with wireless charging and docked with SD card support and USB pluged trough OTG cable to desktop DAC of your liking with it's own power supply would work but it's not with the hustle. Local WiFi streaming trough DLNA server works just fine for not latency sensitive applications (like music). It's dependent on how good and fast rooter is but works fine even for 192 KHz 24 bit tho no MQA and such gimmicks.
Now please try to explain as simple as you can what you want to achieve and how much power/performance you need.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Why simply not using your Cayan DAP stationary pluged in on charger and controled trough Hiby link from iPhone/Android phone as it is?

OP
Z

ZestClub

There whose only one serie of DAC's ever that I known of that could charge Android phone slowly connected trough regular USB A to C cable and trough Hiby Music app only but they are old and not great performing now (old ES9018K2M DAC's and from beginning of their era) and that would be Tempotec Sonata iDSD and iDSD pro line.
Any other DAP players that are main powered with an SD clot that I could connect to the DAC ?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I came across the Cayin iDAP-6 which can accept a USB hard drive/ flash card and gives a digital output to a DAC - I wonder if that would work?
For that matter, any Android phone or tablet would also work to. It’s just a matter of a good player app, of which plenty are around. You can have a doc or adapter cable that lets you power the thing and hook up a USB DAC.

OP
Z

ZestClub

Why simply not using your Cayan DAP stationary pluged in on charger and controled trough Hiby link from iPhone/Android phone as it is?
Gets to way too hot when charging at the same time as playing.

OP
Z

ZestClub

For that matter, any Android phone or tablet would also work to. It’s just a matter of a good player app, of which plenty are around. You can have a doc or adapter cable that lets you power the thing and hook up a USB DAC.
So can i hook up a tablet via USB to a DAC's usb - will that work?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Gets to way too hot when charging at the same time as playing.
Well it will be less hot with screen off (and longer lasting on batteries).
Download the Hiby Music from store. Start it, enable BT on DAP and phone, enable Hiby link controller and tap search on phone and when DAP appears tap on it. And then they are paird.
Screenshot_20240128-101702.png

Now you can leave DAP on charger or in your pocket, control local storage playback on DAP or stream trough WiFi from phone.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And would I be able to MQA files through to the DAC for decoding?
Some software will do the first MQA unfold, otherwise you may want to reply on the DAc for MQA support. For this you’ll need software with bit-perfect playback though USB.

Top Bottom