• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom vs NAD M10

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Today I went down to a dealer to have a listen to the NAD M10. I wasn't all to impressed with the sound. Tracks like Massive Attack's Angel and the Telarc version of the 1812 Overture sounded harsh and uncomfortable (speakers were Dynaudio 40 and Wilson Sasha DAW). The bass sounded 'fluttery', the synth drums and cannon notes just seemed jarring.

He played the same tracks (using Tidal for both) on a NAIM Uniti Atom (which is 40W/ch). I wasn't prepared to by impressed due to the lower wattage numbers, but everything just sounded better. The tracks suddenly sounded more pleasant, and the bass really hit hard. When the cannon's went off in 1812, I could feel it on my chest, which never happened with the NAD.

Another interesting thing is that with the NAD I was playing around 70-80% volume to test it, while the NAIM felt about equally loud at 55%. I am talking loud as in I had to shout to make myself heard to the dealer.

Has anybody else had an experience with these two amps side by side ? I wanted to like the NAD for all it's features and the Hypex UCD amps, but a puny 40w/ch class AB amp just sounded so much better. What explains that ?

P.S - I also had a quick listen to the NAD M33. To my it sounded a bit better than the M10, but not significantly so.

Last edited:
OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Sighted and non-level-matched comparison.
That's the simplistic answer to any query like that. Keep in mind that I was biased to like the NAD and not the Naim, and I was controlling the volume (and in fact turned it down on the NAIM). But it didn't matter whether I played at high or low volume, the NAIM just seemed smoother, more pleasant to listen to and much better bass.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That's the simplistic answer to any query like that. Keep in mind that I was biased to like the NAD and not the Naim, and I was controlling the volume (and in fact turned it down on the NAIM). But it didn't matter whether I played at high or low volume, the NAIM just seemed smoother, more pleasant to listen to and much better bass.

Yes, it's more fun to ignore the most likely explanation. But nonetheless, it's far and away the most likely explanation.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Of course you liked the Naim better, it's more expensive... :p
Not a lot really, the NAD list is 2750, the NAIM is 3300.

TimF

Forum Donor
"Of course you like the Naim better, it's more expensive..." How very, very deep the product marketing lies in the brain. You cannot escape it or get around it. These product images have been built and sustained by these companies over years and years. They lie in us like images of mother. It is impossible for you see see these items as machines. Oh, what if the amplifier cases had labels that identified them as Sylvania and Philco?

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe the Naim is grossly underpowered for your speakers. At 84.5 db sensitivity you will only be able to reach 95 db at a 12 foot listening distance. The M10 with 160watts for peaks gets you another 6 db.

BillG

Major Contributor
Sighted evaluations without precise level matching are useless. If you can get each unit on trial simultaneously, and have a friend with electrical engineering knowledge precisely match their levels, blindfold yourself and listen, then we can make a proper assessment. Barring that, an evaluation done with a lab grade audio analyzer is the way to go since any deficiencies will appear in the measurements.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
I believe the Naim is grossly underpowered for your speakers. At 84.5 db sensitivity you will only be able to reach 95 db at a 12 foot listening distance. The M10 with 160watts for peaks gets you another 6 db.

I would think so from the specs. But to get the roughly the same volume as what the NAD M10 was producing at 75%, I had to set the NAIM to only 55% vol. 70% on the NAIM was unbearably loud. If the NAD M10 has more power, the opposite should be true?

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Ask the dealer if they had done a Dirac setup with the NAD and if so, go back and disable it.
No..all tone controls were off and there was no DIRAC calibration done.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Sighted evaluations without precise level matching are useless. If you can get each unit on trial simultaneously, and have a friend with electrical engineering knowledge precisely match their levels, blindfold yourself and listen, then we can make a proper assessment. Barring that, an evaluation done with a lab grade audio analyzer is the way to go since any deficiencies will appear in the measurements.
And how many of us have such friends or audio analyzers or the ability to demo multiple amplifers at home in such conditions? The question I am trying to ask is whether anyone else has heard these two side by side and what their experience is.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And how many of us have such friends or audio analyzers or the ability to demo multiple amplifers at home in such conditions? The question I am trying to ask is whether anyone else has heard these two side by side and what their experience is.

What, with the same speakers in the same room? Why assign so much importance to a mere amp?

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Why an integrated amp particularly? I wouldn't bother with most of them....and Naim is more known for bullshit than anything....
Because I moved to a small apartment with not much space for lots of separates.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Naim may have higher dynamic power. Without measuring we won't know.

If you are really interested in the Naim, purchase it and let me measure it first. :) There is a local Naim dealer I can refer you to if you decide to go that way.

Top Bottom