• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom vs NAD M10

keith_h

Getting back to the original post, the advice "buy what sounds best to you and makes you happy" remains the best guidance ever for audio purchases. Agonising over specifications is pointless.

My experience with the M10 after some time now is that its a good fit for my needs and sounds epic in the small room where I have it installed. It has a few eccentricities that are easy enough to live with, one being the volume control which has a logarithmic gain curve. This means you need to have the volume all the way up for high listening levels. Seems odd at first but in reality, its no big deal and a thing one gets used to quickly and then forgets.

It has so much power I have capped the top end volume so as not to accidentally smoke the speakers. Listening levels of 90db are easily achieved with plenty in reserve. Normal listening volumes at around 70-75db are no challenge at all with plenty of headroom. At any sort of volume the music is clear as a bell. Dynamics? The fireworks at the very end of Pink Floyd's Run Like Hell shake the room at even a modest listening level. Counting Crows Big Yellow Taxi has a huge fat sound and the closing of the door can be felt at modest listening levels. I'm OK with how that all works. And yes there is a sub, the integration is seamless. More on that below.

Configuring DIRAC properly in the listening environment makes a huge difference. You are not going to get any sort of sense of this in a showroom. And if you are auditioning/comparing not using your own speakers, then that's also not going to give you any sort of idea how its going to work out for you either. It's like revving two cars in a showroom without actually taking them down the road. Auditioning at home is the way to go if that sort of thing is important to you and frankly for something you plan to live with, it should be.

DIRAC is remarkable. It took me three goes to get correct measurements to create a suitable curve (user inexperience) and was absolutely worth the effort. While the M10 alone brought new life to the speakers, DIRAC was next level. In addition, a sub is a great idea, especially with small speakers and adds another level of awesome to the mix. I have mine crossed over fairly high to remove the low bass from the main speakers which is another neat trick the M10 delivers. As I mentioned, it really brings some tracks to life at the very low end.

Finally, living with the M10 is easy. It is operated from a mobile device and its a piece of cake to listen to any music source you have available. Mine sits in a cabinet, its not in view and the front panel has never been touched. It is turned off actually, completely unused. Speakers are wall mounted, the whole thing is unobtrusive, practically invisible.

Our system (M10, PSB Imagine Mini speakers, PSB subseries 200) is known as the audio tardis for a reason. The sound it produces is huge and effortless, the hardware not even on display. It's absolutely a neat trick and it makes me very happy. Would something else make me happier? Maybe but this is certainly good enough for the foreseeable future.

Buy with your ears and your heart, don't worry about the specs. Buy whatever makes you happy and enjoy the music.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could it also be the Naim is better? I’d say yes.

Top Bottom