• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Naim Uniti Atom Review (Streamer & Amp)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 280 68.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 93 22.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 21 5.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%

• Total voters

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps it's already been covered in these 36 pages, in which case my apologies, but is it possible to say whether it would be better to use a good DAC into the analog in, or better to use (the same DAC) into one of the digital inputs? Or won't it make much of a difference because everything is digitized anyway?
How do you plug a DAC into a digital input?

Burki

As mentioned before: The Naim is digitizing all analogue input and so only the first option makes sense.
But: Then you're wasting one of the biggest feature of the Naim, which is the display in showing metadatas and so you should use the streaming features of the Uniti Atom.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do people buy Naim in the first place?

as-lot

only the first option makes sense.
Is that the first option from the original post (analog in), or first from the last (SPDIF)? I assume the latter.

Mostly I do stream via the Naim, but sometimes one does want to play something from the PC. Things not available on a streaming service for example, or in formats not supported (sound from a video). Or when playing with software like REW.

We believe(d) in the myth.

It's sustainable in the sense they'll service or repair pretty much anything they ever made.

It's one of the few all in ones with a screen and any connectivity option under the sun, including Chromecast.

Their gear (subjectively) sounds good, and looks good. That also includes their wireless speakers, so there's additionally a nice eco system with multiroom etc.

I still think there's plenty to be said for it if you have the money, but that doesn't mean I would necessarily buy again.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lot of hype about "musicality", "sweetness", "energy", "fruity mids"," realistic timbres" or any unprovable factors with no realistic concept.

About the modern Atom/Nova line, tho, I feel that they look gorgeous, and beautifully finished/bluit. I personally happened to plan to buy an Atom Uniti Headphones Edition (but wanted to measure it first).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping D10s. USB -> SPDIF Coax or Toslink. Or Analog RCA.

I guess it's not a DAC used like that, but I think of the device as a DAC.
Im with you now. If you had a D10 or similar bridge already it might be the best way but im not sure the benefit over just inputting the analog from A.N. Other DAC you already had would make spending $100 worthwhile to avoid an additional A to D conversion. Avoids the early roll off I suppose.

MacCali

Major Contributor
Perhaps it's already been covered in these 36 pages, in which case my apologies, but is it possible to say whether it would be better to use a good DAC into the analog in, or better to use (the same DAC) into one of the digital inputs? Or won't it make much of a difference because everything is digitized anyway?
Somewhat confused here on what the actual question is

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no USB input- so if you want to stream to Naim from a PC- how best to do it (See their response to my similar query- assuming their PC doesnt have optical or coax out, do they get a USB/ SPDIF bridge like the D10 and feed Naim that way or use a DAC to convert to analog then feed to NAIM RCA inputs)

as-lot

As @Jimbob54 says, to connect a PC/laptop a device an external device is needed. I have a Topping D10s.

The question is, is there any benefit to using that as a DAC vs using it only as a USB to SPDIF bridge?

ChoiceCriticism

I found this thread fascinating so did a quick and dirty test today. I happen to own a Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition (different from this review unit) and a Topping D90/A90 stack so decided to do a blind A/B test.

Parameters
Headphones: Audeze LCD4 (97 dB/1mW, 200Ohm)
Output Connection: Balanced / 4.4mm Pentaconn
Input Connection: Uniti Atom - Ethernet, D90 - USB
Source: Roon - TIDAL FLAC 44.1KHZ 16bit music track
No EQ / DSP enabled
Level matched with a cheap db meter, but I couldn't detect difference

First as a quick sanity check I turned gain on both units to maximum with no music playing. No noise audible over room floor in either case.

Next switched back and forth between the same 20 second sequence of a music track. I could not reliably differentiate between, left alone identify, the two.

YMMV and I'm sure there are some Goldenears in here that far surpass mine.

Possibly Irrelevant Context
  • The A90/D90 stack is my primary and the Naim unit has basically been a paperweight because of its measurements. Based on this test I'm considering switching because the Naim unit is an order of magnitude easier to use / more functional
  • Volume dials were pretty close, but A90 was on "M" gain setting. On "H" the A90 would almost certainly go louder than the Naim Uniti, but as-test both units reached a loudness that caused physical discomfort with room to spare on the dial. Below that threshold there was no audible distortion that allowed me to differentiate

d3l

Had a loaner uniti nova for a few weeks and still missing it a bit. Sounded absolutely fantastic and the design / interface was spot on. Running a Gustard R2R dac with a pair of audionet monoblocks and not really sure if my current combo sounds better than the naim unit...

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Is there a source for reviews that really dig into the interface software for streaming devices? They get short statements at best from what I can see generally but should be one of the most important aspects in a review, to my mind at least.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Lot of hype about "musicality", "sweetness", "energy", "fruity mids"," realistic timbres" or any unprovable factors with no realistic concept.

About the modern Atom/Nova line, tho, I feel that they look gorgeous, and beautifully finished/bluit. I personally happened to plan to buy an Atom Uniti Headphones Edition (but wanted to measure it first).
Among their first successful amplifiers the power amp 250 and integrated Nait 1 was really good for the time and Naim could show that their gear outclassed cheaper japanese amplifiers because of their limitation of current ability. Naim amplifiers could play bass lines on a difficult speaker like Linn Isobarik without breaking down. After such a demonstration people sold their 150w yamahas to buy a 15w Naim nait.:)

An old Nait 1 still outclasses most modern gear below 500 dollars soundwise, at least in my opinion and If you play vinyl because the phono input was really good sounding.

A very good reputation in the beginning is always a good start for letting marketing take over.

Naim has released a ”new” nait for 2023, where they have tossed the balance control and put in a headphone amplifier.

Those are interesting videos.

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
Among their first successful amplifiers the power amp 250 and integrated Nait 1 was really good for the time and Naim could show that their gear outclassed cheaper japanese amplifiers because of their limitation of current ability. Naim amplifiers could play bass lines on a difficult speaker like Linn Isobarik without breaking down. After such a demonstration people sold their 150w yamahas to buy a 15w Naim nait.:)

An old Nait 1 still outclasses most modern gear below 500 dollars soundwise, at least in my opinion and If you play vinyl because the phono input was really good sounding.

A very good reputation in the beginning is always a good start for letting marketing take over.

Naim has released a ”new” nait for 2023, where they have tossed the balance control and put in a headphone amplifier.

Those are interesting videos.

You know I think the best perception of audio comes from a few things. For one, it seems like a lot of older model amps, at least, have something going on which maybe from a great number of variables. I think making quality is key.

I also think even if Amir were to review a stellar amp or dac that’s 25 grand let’s say he would obviously recommend it as it passes the objective test but if you can get nearly similar for a lower price that’s what he would want you to buy.

To gather my last paragraph to the point I think it goes two ways. With Focal and Naim like most of the food supply and products in America have all these investors trying to reap profit. I’m not saying they do this for certain, but this is definitely what goes on behind the scenes. This function in audio is actually the worst part of it all. Times change and so do companies.

They sell you a mid grade product with an extremely high price tag as long as it’s passable to 80% of society. That’s a really bad business practice and deceptive. Im not asking anyone to pull out chi fi grade measurements. Just build something with competency.

It’s very clear to me that most people wouldn’t mind listening to an amp that’s -50 db sinad or a dac thats -80. Which is why this BS is none stop cause when they release an amp that’s 75 and a dacs that’s 100 people eat that up. Yet we see companies like schiit or geshelli doing the same thing just 2-300 vs 1000 or more by these big backed companies trying to satisfy anyone. I use these companies as it is American grade with chi fi price tag.

Like I say you can neglect a lot of things Amir points out, the only thing that’s not invalid is he’s not trying to make you lose money.

*I’m not implying any of these things were what you mean just making generalized statements upon your comment and my thoughts in regards to your comments.

Tangband

Major Contributor
You know I think the best perception of audio comes from a few things. For one, it seems like a lot of older model amps, at least, have something going on which maybe from a great number of variables. I think making quality is key.

I also think even if Amir were to review a stellar amp or dac that’s 25 grand let’s say he would obviously recommend it as it passes the objective test but if you can get nearly similar for a lower price that’s what he would want you to buy.

To gather my last paragraph to the point I think it goes two ways. With Focal and Naim like most of the food supply and products in America have all these investors trying to reap profit. I’m not saying they do this for certain, but this is definitely what goes on behind the scenes. This function in audio is actually the worst part of it all. Times change and so do companies.

They sell you a mid grade product with an extremely high price tag as long as it’s passable to 80% of society. That’s a really bad business practice and deceptive. Im not asking anyone to pull out chi fi grade measurements. Just build something with competency.

It’s very clear to me that most people wouldn’t mind listening to an amp that’s -50 db sinad or a dac thats -80. Which is why this BS is none stop cause when they release an amp that’s 75 and a dacs that’s 100 people eat that up. Yet we see companies like schiit or geshelli doing the same thing just 2-300 vs 1000 or more by these big backed companies trying to satisfy anyone. I use these companies as it is American grade with chi fi price tag.

Like I say you can neglect a lot of things Amir points out, the only thing that’s not invalid is he’s not trying to make you lose money.

*I’m not implying any of these things were what you mean just making generalized statements upon your comment and my thoughts in regards to your comments.
I have a somewhat nostalgic relation to the Nait 1 , it gave me many hours of pleasant music listening together with an older Lp12 with Ittok during -90. I like this Hifiriff videos because they are both real enthusiasts . But I guess time changes .

Marketing has a bigger impact than ever , its the same with the car industry. People tend to buy a Mercedes for much money believing its quality to the core .

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
I have a somewhat nostalgic relation to the Nait 1 , it gave me many hours of pleasant music listening together with an older Lp12 with Ittok during -90. I like this Hifiriff videos because they are both real enthusiasts . But I guess time changes .

Marketing has a bigger impact than ever , its the same with the car industry. People tend to buy a Mercedes for much money believing its quality to the core .
Definitely man, there’s a lot of good stuff out there. However, just like Mercedes people typically buy things to show off. Mercedes is a great example of that, people just pay for the name. Exact topic I was getting into when it came to these audio manufacturers. You pay extra just for the name, and that’s it.

Key points is mediocre performance, which again is even passable to someone who is objective. But when it comes down to it you can pin point the lack of complexity and possible incompetence when they designed it.

You are from an Era where people were proud of their equipment and didn’t have to think much about it the nitty gritty. The scale of scams may have been equal, but the prices weren’t that crazy even going back 25 years.

I’m a new audio enthusiast, and have only been in the hobby for less than three years. So please excuse my perspective, I’m just giving my opinion on how I think things were or may have seemed.

I think no matter what way we look at it people just want the best sound and that’s subjective to each person. Some people only love tubes and so on and so forth the options are endless. I don’t see anyone who makes a statement on here invalid regardless of what they like.

However when you are on any other topic if someone paid 3000 for a cell phone you would tell them damn man I think you got ripped off cause you can do this and that with a 1000 dollar phone. Like don’t make that mistake again and that’s how I feel when people tell me they bought something like some of these products.

To be brutally honest I tell people I know buying European outside of lease is a big mistake on their part.

But as I always say I’m not your parents, and this is generally speaking not to you, and I’m not trying to tell you what to do with your money.

Haskil

Forum Donor

One of the worst amplifiers on the market in its time: early 1980s. Exactly, Yamaha made much better designed and manufactured amplifiers, with better quality components than these British gizmos... But some people like the sound...

Top Bottom