• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M66 - finally someone makes a decent 2-channel preamp!

wscottdo

Are new owners of the m66 pleased with the purchase?

Anybody else about to make the purchase? (and what has sold you?)

Any new firmware updates/fixes from NAD for the m66 since release?

Any competition for this product right now on the market? or on the horizon?

pogo

Major Contributor
Since the M66 will probably not officially go on sale in Germany until May, I expect DLBC for the M33 after the M66, maybe in the middle of the year.

pogo

Major Contributor
Here detailed inside views up to the analog PCB. The activation of the YT auto-translation is an advantage ;)

rickcfer

"... M66 has a selectable Analogue Direct mode that bypasses all digital processing..." - wonder if this means HT bypass?
No, it means a straight analog path with no DSP, room correction bass management. They are supposedly working on HT Bypass.
Watch the Audio Advice review of the M66.

pogo

Major Contributor
They are supposedly working on HT Bypass.
And what else is there to come?
You can already define a predefined volume via a preset.
That's exactly how I do it on my M33, where it actually makes more sense, as power amplifiers are also installed here.
I would go directly to the power amplifiers for an HT and not additionally and unnecessarily via the M66.

MingChops

I would go directly to the power amplifiers for an HT and not additionally and unnecessarily via the M66.
Little bit of faffing as you'd need to have a power amp with dual inputs and a switch. Now I get usually many have RCA and XLR inputs and a switch between them, but it's often a physical switch and if anyone is in the house and is not in to this stuff, then it quickly becomes a not very intuitive setup for swapping between music and movie roles.

With DLBC and eventually ART - I suspect the M66 will be arguably better at bass management than many AVR's unless similarly equipped (and there's not many currently). So myself I'd elect to setup the AVR as having large mains and no subs, thereby sending all bass to the M66 and relying on its talents for bass management.

There's I'm sure the odd scenario where maybe that wouldn't be the approach, but a music (2ch) first type of audiophile (as I am), I think it'll make the most sense that way, and should keep the setup simpler for non audio nerds who might share the house and setup :)

(I otherwise agree, the M66 does HT bypass just fine using a fixed volume on the input. As you say, this is how the M33 does it, and IME all modern NAD's also do it like this. Worked fine on the C368 I used to have.)

da Choge

Forum Donor
With DLBC and eventually ART - I suspect the M66 will be arguably better at bass management than many AVR's
Exactly; one of the reasons I wish the M66 had an analog sub input that could be routed through DSP for Dirac 4 sub output (maybe via an add-on card -- although there are other ways it could be done, just not as well-defined).

Last edited:

sharock

Do we really believe NAD will implement ART? It took them over 3 years to put a volume limiter on the C658. :(

pogo

Major Contributor
So myself I'd elect to setup the AVR as having large mains and no subs, thereby sending all bass to the M66 and relying on its talents for bass management.
However, this only works if the AVR can compensate for the BluOS latency of 50ms!

MingChops

However, this only works if the AVR can compensate for the BluOS latency of 50ms!
Yep indeed, you'd be dependant on running the AVR calibration post M66's Dirac anyway as far as order of steps would go to get the best integration for movies.

50ms is 17meters, I know my Yamaha (A4A) allows up to 24m in speaker adjustments, so I can't see why an AVR would have any problem. If an AVR couldn't compensate for that delay it's probably unfit in many other areas too I might think! :)

MingChops

Exactly; one of the reasons I wish the M66 had an analog sub input that could be routed through DSP for Dirac 4 sub output (maybe via an add-on card -- although there are other ways it could be done, just not as well-defined).
I agree it would be better as it could allow you to maintain having subs set on the AVR, and that then probably gives a little more tweaking and control with dedicated LFE levels on the AVR.
But, I think in practical terms it's still just as good (and certainly likely to be easier) to set simply Large mains and no subs in the speaker config, then all bass out the AVR is routed together out the main L/R preouts into the M66. It can then do what it wants with all the bass then, to best manage it where it needs to go.

Do we really believe NAD will implement ART? It took them over 3 years to put a volume limiter on the C658. :(
Well, you won't catch me holding my breath ;)
I suspect we may well have some other options on the market by the time it's released. Really hoping Primare follow though with something interesting in the 2ch space with Dirac. Time will tell.

sharock

Just received my M66.

It will need to remain hidden until my partner is away on a trip next week. She must not discover how much I spent on a metal box.:D

Hear Here

Just received my M66.

It will need to remain hidden until my partner is away on a trip next week. She must not discover how much I spent on a metal box.:D
Likewise, she will be keeping hidden her latest extravagance - two can (and probably do in a healthy relationship) play at that game!

Calou

Yep indeed, you'd be dependant on running the AVR calibration post M66's Dirac anyway as far as order of steps would go to get the best integration for movies.

50ms is 17meters, I know my Yamaha (A4A) allows up to 24m in speaker adjustments, so I can't see why an AVR would have any problem. If an AVR couldn't compensate for that delay it's probably unfit in many other areas too I might think! :)
Marantz and Denon can't accommodate for such a delay between mains and surround speakers.

From the manuals: "Set the difference in the distance between the speakers to less than 6.00 m (20.0 ft)"

MingChops

Marantz and Denon can't accommodate for such a delay between mains and surround speakers.

From the manuals: "Set the difference in the distance between the speakers to less than 6.00 m (20.0 ft)"
Yikes, that's not that far at all, that's a maximum of only 17ms in delay terms!
Especially when you consider subs with their own DSP delays etc could eat up say 8ms before any distancing requirements. 6.0m therefore feels very restrictive. Glad I ditched my Marantz and went Yammy now.

sharock

Unboxed my M66 today finally. Seems the volume knob had snapped off in transit.:(

Not great for such an expensive device for it to be held on by a bit of plastic. Looks a bit damaged/scratched around the surrounding area too.

1714240130660.jpeg

1714240097356.jpeg

Hoping a replacement knob can be sorted that I can fit rather than having to return the whole device! Will see what the retailer says.

I set it up anyway, did a hasty set of measurements and applied DLBC. Quite happy with the improvement in the bass response, although there might actually be too much bass for higher volume listening. Not much can be done about 200-600Hz in my living room with no treatment. I'm not sure ART would even help with this area since I only have a 2.3 configuration?

1714240685688.png

da Choge

Forum Donor
Not great for such an expensive device for it to be held on by a bit of plastic.
That should most certainly be a metal shaft in gear of this price point. Hope you can get it fixed/repaired without having to return it to NAD.

rlarson

I have been using my M66 nonstop since I got it Feb 27th. One issue with mine, anyway, is that I power it off completely, but every time, it gives an error, and I have to do a factory reset.
I have been trying to use Dirac Live with bass control, but it just really kills the system when I have it enabled. My room is treated, so maybe I don't need it, but I was interested in the speakers and sub's time alignment. I have had the M33 for close to three years, and I am not so sure this upgrade was worth it for me.

Top Bottom