• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M66 - finally someone makes a decent 2-channel preamp!

pogo

Major Contributor
In my opinion, STORM uses a low end implementation of DL at 48kHz processing. This is also sufficient for a HT application.
DL offers up to 192kHz!

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
Is not offering any advantage over e.g. Audiophonics or Buckeye.
That is not correct either.
If you look at the performance data of an M23, you will notice a difference. This can also be seen for example in the power output in the 2/1Ohm range. Your examples do not offer a bridge mode either.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my opinion, STORM uses a low end implementation of DL at 48kHz processing. This is also sufficient for a HT application.
Is that the opinion of a bat or a cultist?

pogo

Major Contributor
Neither of them. It's simply my listening experience, even with post-processing/mastering, that 48kHz is not enough.

OP
jhaider

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Neither of them. It's simply my listening experience, even with post-processing/mastering, that 48kHz is not enough.
Some people imagine from their "listening experience" that wires sound different from one another, too.

I'm so sure you've done controlled listening tests to isolate any alleged effects of a sampling rate.

Sorry but some things are just self-evidently dumb.

pogo

Major Contributor
Sorry but some things are just self-evidently dumb.
We are talking here about the processing of digital data, where audible rounding errors, etc. occur if there is not enough headroom. This applies to the sampling rate and to the bit depth!
There are good reasons why Trinnov uses a higher sampling rate for post-processing than STORM.

Last edited:

Fidji

That is not correct either.
If you look at the performance data of an M23, you will notice a difference. This can also be seen for example in the power output in the 2/1Ohm range. Your examples do not offer a bridge mode either.

As per wide consensus on this forum - they do offer the same sonic performance. NAD offers couple of watts of more power. This extra watts translate to minuscule increase in max. SPL.

But absolutely seriously meant question;
Do you have any real life experience with DL ART? With some either stereo or MCH setup, If so I would be curious to hear some details.

Or is ti in your case still more the case of believing the PR statements of Dirac. Always interested to learn new things - as I said I am considering secondary HT and right now Trinnov is winning hands down with WF, so if you some insider info re roll-out outside of Storm, I would be grateful.

Last edited:

MingChops

Do not think so - it's user base would be extremely limited [as you need 4 subs minimum for WF]
Yeah done a little bit of reading on WF and it's a much more prescriptive type of deployment so seems not quite the same target that DART is going after - probably won't come to the Nova would be my gut instinct either. Cheers

pogo

Major Contributor
As per wide consensus on this forum - they do offer the same sonic performance. NAD offers couple of watts of more power. This extra watts translate to minuscule increase in max. SPL.
Do you have any real life experience with DL ART?
No.
Btw, Purifi implementation from Lyngdorf, NAD and T+A differ audibly from the other providers. This is due, among other things, to the specially developed PSUs, bridge mode, switchable DF, ...
For example, what a bridged NAD purifi amp adds in terms of playback quality is now well known and common consense in the hi-fi world. See also my experience: Link

da Choge

Forum Donor
The Audio Advice video posted by Pogo was a fun and interesting presentation! I've been following the development and release of the NAD M66 for quite some time, so nothing much new was revealed, but the presenters' enthusiastic reviews of its features made me even more sure this is the new preamp I want for my main living space.

However, what I think would make this an even more remarkable product would be an MDC2 add-on module that would have a single-ended RCA subwoofer input that would allow the subwoofer pre-out from a "legacy" AVR/AVP (meaning maybe only a year old) or a non-flagship AVR/AVC to enable ADC conversion of that analog signal so that the M66 can do Dirac DLBC processing to allow its four (4) channels of independent subwoofer outputs. The card could also have additional single-ended RCA stereo and/or a balanced XLR input (which could also be configurable as home theater pass-throughs) to increase the versatility of the M66. I don't know if the input circuitry for an MDC2 would allow that, but it would be an awesome add-on! Just a thought -- NAD ???!!!

pogo

Major Contributor
However, what I think would make this an even more remarkable product would be an MDC2 add-on module that would have a single-ended RCA subwoofer input that would allow the subwoofer pre-out from a "legacy" AVR/AVP (meaning maybe only a year old) or a non-flagship AVR/AVC to enable ADC conversion of that analog signal so that the M66 can do Dirac DLBC processing to allow its four (4) channels of independent subwoofer outputs.
I don't know what you have in mind, but why don't you just go with a full-range pre-out signal of your avr/avc to a line-in of the M66?
This allows you to bypass the sub management of the old avr/avc. However, you must bear in mind that the M66 adds an intentional BluOS latency of at least 50ms. This latency does not exist in the pure analog mode, but then no sub management is possible!
Or you can wait for the T799 with similar key features. That would certainly be the better solution in an HT setup.

Last edited:

sharock

This is actually in stock now at a UK retailer for £4500.o_O

Still not sure I can justify the cost to upgrade my NAD C658 but I do want multi-sub bass management.

Is DLBC worth it?

pogo

Major Contributor
Here you can already hear quite well how DL optimizes (tidier, more details, ...). Even on my tablet, the difference of the in room comparison is clearly audible and deserves a big WOW:

The animation on the M23 is not bad.
That might be a nice-to-have for the future, but it should also be possible to switch it off completely for purists.

pogo

Major Contributor
Happy Easter_ASR.png

pogo

Major Contributor
No, the M33 has not yet received DLBC and I only use passive subs directly ;)

Top Bottom