• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M66 - finally someone makes a decent 2-channel preamp!

Hear Here

M23 is the better one, see also here: Link
Also take a look inside the cases of those 2 amps. The M23 is clearly better built by a margin reflected by its higher price.

Also note the difference in output power 200 / 380 for the M amp and 185 / 340 for the C one. Why I can't say, as they both use Purifi's Eigentakt technology, although a better power supply may help

Attachments

• C298 - Inside the Case.jpg
    C298 - Inside the Case.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 194
  • M23 Inside the Case.jpg
    M23 Inside the Case.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

Hear Here

I have the NAD M50.2 which sends metadata including cover art through the HDMI out…looking forward to trading up to the M66
I too have the M50.2 but rarely use it now I've ripped all my CDs and I also have the M33.

The M33 also sends artwork to a TV's HDMI socket. I prefer not to use the ARC HDMI TV socket as then the TV tends to control the M33. Using a standard HDMI, the M33 (and no doubt the M66) simple uses this connection to send artwork to the big screen.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for posting this thread, @jhaider.
202308_NAD-M66RearPanel.jpg

The M66 looks even sexier from the rear-view.
I wonder what NAD's plans are, for their 'future modules'; especially with 2 available slots for growth. << Maybe hi-count multi-channel add-ons.
I am also puzzled with decision to provide four (4) discrete sub-outs (XLR/RCA). << Maybe to provide enclosure 'commonality' with their AVR version of the M66 pre/pro.
It is great that NAD provides the much needed HDMI eARC, as an input. << Unfortunately, there seems to be no thru-put HDMI OUT or multiple HDMI INs.
NAD could have also provided USB connectivity other than a USB-A << Although some USB-C connectors are a weak mechanical interface and don't take well to abuse.
I like this NAD M66, and it would be contender when it comes time for me to surrender my Rotel AVpre/proc, but hard to swallow at twice the price.

NAD website still insists the specifications and features are subject to change and/or preliminary... Have the deliveries started?

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am also puzzled with decision to provide four (4) discrete sub-outs (XLR/RCA).
If you don't want to go for a full Double/Single Bass array setup then 4 subs will give you the best results especially in combination with Dirac ART.
If it will get that Dirac ART upgrade some day it will be the best streaming box for stereo setups

markrubin

My dealer just checked with NAD on delivery ; he says he got a vague ‘fall’ release….

pogo

Major Contributor
An HDMI and USB MDC2 module will follow. Such MDC modules are also already available for the M33. DLART seems to be set for the future as well, see also here: Link

markrubin

The Master series holds its value well over the years….my 6 year old M50.2 is worth over $2k as a trade against the M66…..

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Master series holds its value well over the years….my 6 year old M50.2 is worth over $2k as a trade against the M66…..
I am no longer a closet audio-pervert.o_O
I hereby publicly confess that I am in love with modular A/V gear!
Fortunately, I am not in denial that I will ever be able to afford a Mytek BrooklynBridgeII.:(

sharock

Am I crazy considering spending £4500 to upgrade from a C658 just to get DLBC for a smoother bass response? o_O

Girlfriend is going to kill me.

pogo

Major Contributor
DLBC should then also be rolled out for your C658 soon ;)

sharock

I feel like I've been hearing that since 2020. :D

I have 3 subwoofers currently so it'd be nice to have an output for each instead of daisy chaining all from a single output, but I could probably survive if they did add DLBC to the C658.

steadilyfred

Unless you have some inside information to confirm the implementation of DLBC in the C 658, then I doubt it will ever happen. Four years have passed with no positive developments since Dirac first announced it.

When asked about it in the Bluesound support forum in relation to the upcoming release of BluOS 4.0, Bluesound's Product Support Manager provided the following disappointing response:

"DIRAC product development on NAD products are not directly tied to BluOS releases. DIRAC is also not available on Bluesound products (which technically this forum is about). That being said yes there have been some unforeseen hurdles in the release of DIRAC Live Bass Control up until now however NAD is committed to DIRAC as you have seen the press releases on the upcoming NAD M66."

Sammy135

What kind of subwoofer do you all think will be the optimal sub to use with this m66?

4 sealed scattered each corner of the listening room?

4 sealed, 2 stacked on top on the left side, and 2 stacked on the right side - kind of like a rel setup to get that 6db shelf output gain?

4 ported, 3 upfront, left, right, center, and the 4th nearfield behind listening position for that tactile response and port wind pressure feel from the one in the middle?

What kind of subwoofer size do you think will be the best? Because DL ART doesn't use crossovers. Everything plays full range. Do you think subs with flat response upto 200hz capability will shine here?

What kind of speakers? Towers for their full range capability? Although I don't like all towers because I can't always get the tower tweeter height correct with my ear level back at the MLP.

I'd like to hear opinions on these points

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What kind of subwoofer do you all think will be the optimal sub to use with this m66?

4 sealed scattered each corner of the listening room?

4 sealed, 2 stacked on top on the left side, and 2 stacked on the right side - kind of like a rel setup to get that 6db shelf output gain?

4 ported, 3 upfront, left, right, center, and the 4th nearfield behind listening position for that tactile response and port wind pressure feel from the one in the middle?

What kind of subwoofer size do you think will be the best? Because DL ART doesn't use crossovers. Everything plays full range. Do you think subs with flat response upto 200hz capability will shine here?

What kind of speakers? Towers for their full range capability? Although I don't like all towers because I can't always get the tower tweeter height correct with my ear level back at the MLP.

I'd like to hear opinions on these points

I would go for capable tower speakers and 4 sealed 15" subs in each corner. Depending on the room/ furniture setup 4 subs at mid points might also work well or better.

1694547586873.png

Mike-48

DLBC seems to calibrate each sub independently. If each sub is in a different position, it will generate nulls at different frequencies at the listening position. What is needed is an algorithm to calibrate each sub while all four are playing with the objective to get flattest combined response.

Does anyone know, is the M66 mono subs only? Not paired stereo?

MikeP

Is the M66 available on the market?

It might be an interesting "alternative" to MiniDSP SHD, albeit an expensive one.

Has anyone heard the unit or have any first hand experience with it?

Thanks.

markrubin

I was looking at the M66 to replace my beloved M50.2, which outputs cover art via HDMI all the time: even if audio out is switched to SPDIF. Now the M66 also has an HDMI connector but this one is eARC: an input….so no more cover art from HDMI on the M66 as far as I can tell…..will keep the M50.2

Top Bottom