• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

PeteL

Major Contributor
Any device that can access the network and output either digital (via HDMI, coax, toslink or analog audio).

What I don't get it this (and please educate me what I am missing) :)
  • It has a 2TB drive in it, a slot loading CD drive, network connection, no wifi, and audio outputs. Like a stripped down HTPC or NUC.
  • No display- how do you see what you want to play other than using another device?
  • A few buttons like an iPod- is that just for volume and next tracks?
Typically, people use their phone or I pad as a remote. The Vault has speaker terminals as "audio outputs", it's an amp. but most people here would chose the Node, which is pretty much what you said "a device that can access the network and output either digital (via HDMI, coax, toslink or analog audio)", but I am not so sure, if I get your question right, you asked to define a Network streamer, or ask if Bluesound was better than the other network streamers?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Is that right? I thought they were just line outs.
Yes, my bad, I assumed you talke about the Powernode, the "no output" comment threw me of, but why you said there was no audio outputs?, there are digital and analog outputs?

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is that right? I thought they were just line outs.
The Vault has only line outs (analog and digital out). Bluesound makes a power node with an amp built in too.

I feel like I’ve inadvertently steered this thread off course, so let me try to get back—I like that the BluOS is a mature platform with support. I wish the the bluesound products had displays and that’s one of things that makes the M33 so appealing. Competent DAC and amp in a beautiful package. It’s hard to decide if the price is worth it though.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
that’s one of things that makes the M33 so appealing. Competent DAC and amp in a beautiful package. It’s hard to decide if the price is worth it though.

Just do it. :)

It's well reviewed here and should retain a decent residual value down the track, assuming we haven't moved on to auditory implants or something that utterly obsoletes all HiFi.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the definitely the “Cadillac” option for two channel listening. It has every feature one could ask for, the best power and performance of a integrated “all in one” that has been tested on this site, a fully featured streaming endpoint, and a beautiful enclosure with a gorgeous touchscreen interface. The best room correction service. There is nothing at this price point that has all this in one box. For someone who wants an elegant all in one solution they feel proud to display this is the option. It may be expensive but there is nothing that matches it in one box for this price.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
for the same dollars, you could buy an AHB2 and DAC3 HGC preamplifier.

This seems like an odd comparison.

One is a minimalist separates system lacking even basic streaming, the other a Swiss army knife of room correction, streaming, phono, ADC, DAC, sub out, etc, all in one box.

Last edited:

audioBliss

Quality 2 channel (stereo) HiFi equipment has always been expensive. In real terms, it is a lot cheaper than it once was.

If I was the same 20 something year old I was with a pocket full of money, no wife and no kids, this NAD would be a compelling product.

I do agree that it's always been expensive. Personally I would go for separates in that scenario.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt that NAD would make the same boards in a different factory, that would be wasteful. Maybe they use the word "make" to mean receive the finished boards and assemble them along their custom buffer and power supply, those last 2 designed and ordered by NAD.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A rookie question but relevant here : The NAD used
Purifi Eigentakt amplifier is this different from Purifi 1ET400A or just simply optics to put the italian inventors name on the amplifier by NAD and Purify
Purifi is the company, Eigentakt (means self oscillating in German) is their new class D technology, 1ET400A is the module name.

audioBliss

Are there multichannel (all in one) devices that are as good as the better two channel gear, selling for less dollars? This NAD is to my way of thinking overpriced given what I require, but then again it is not what I need, and it has 'features' I don't want. If one needs what it offers it may be decent value. If one is willing to mix 'n match they can compile something better for less, however for a 'stick it on the shelf and forget it' solution it could be a compelling product.

To compare, for simple hardwired two channel, and for the same dollars, you could buy an AHB2 and DAC3 HGC preamplifier. But that is not the market or the solution that this NAD plays in and was designed for. And then you wouldn't know the temperature of your amp's heat sinks. :)

I see what you are saying and for pure simplicity it does have it's place. However, take the Monoprice HTP-1 16 channel balanced processor($4000) for instance. It will give you 106dB SINAD at 2.2V and 97dB SINAD at 4V. It also has Roon built in but also not certified yet like the NAD. A difference here is that you can connect up to 5 discrete subwoofers and you have access to Dirac Live Bass Control($500 addon) to get perfect blending for your 2-channel setup. You can connect a lot of different sources and in the future the system can be extended to multichannel if needed.

Pair the HTP-1 with a Purifi EVAL1 kit or NC400 monoblocks and you'll be laughing. You will have access to Auro3D/Atmos/DTS:X upmixing for music if that is interesting(and any type of multi-channel music content will be properly downmixed to 2-channel + subs) along with many, many other features that you don't get with a 2 channel integrated.

I really like where they are going with this NAD I mean both Purifi amps, Dirac and nice design and materials but in my mind the price is very hard to justify for someone who is willing to live with a solution that takes up a little more space.

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This seems like an odd comparison. One is a minimalist separates system lacking even basic streaming, the other a Swiss army knife of room correction, streaming, phono, ADC, DAC, sub out, etc, all in one box.
That was my point. Depending upon one's needs, the NAD could be viewed as a good choice, in spite of its less than SOA numbers. My comment was directed to the poster who claimed that two channel gear was priced too high. Just depends on your needs. If you don't need all the NAD offers, it would certainly seem overpriced for what you get, especially when you can put together something that is functionally equal for a lot less (albeit with more boxes), or something with a lot better specs for the same dollars.

Edit: After reading the manual, and looking at all this offers, I would say that the unit offers good value for an all in one box set up. Phono even offers MC capability--I didn't expect that. In bridged mode and with the addition of another comparable amp you'd have a tremendous amount of power and flexibility.

Last edited:

ironhorse128

Forum Donor
What features do the two sub outs have? Are the independent? Is there an option for individual time delays? Can you eq them using Dirac?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What features do the two sub outs have? Are the independent? Is there an option for individual time delays? Can you eq them using Dirac?
As I understand it, Dirac will attempt to equalize flat at the position of the measuring microphone, regardless of speaker placement, or subwoofer location(s).

The NAD manual indicates that the sub outputs are 'independent' filtering out frequencies above 80Hz. One can turn off one or both of the sub outputs from the front panel menu tree.

Without Dirac, it then appears to be up to the user to figure out how to get the best response from their single or multiple subs--the manual doesn't indicate that the device itself has provisions for that sort of thing--tone controls etc. Or I didn't see those functions when I scanned the manual.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
If you don't need all the NAD offers, it would certainly seem overpriced for what you get, especially when you can put together something that is functionally equal for a lot less (albeit with more boxes), or something with a lot better specs for the same dollars.
This is a very good point. It’s easy to argue this is a competitive value if compared to putting together a complete system that does everything the M33 does, but how many people actually need ALL of its features? Hard to argue it’s value if you just need a dac, room correction, and an amp.

PeteL

Major Contributor
This is a very good point. It’s easy to argue this is a competitive value if compared to putting together a complete system that does everything the M33 does, but how many people actually need ALL of its features? Hard to argue it’s value if you just need a dac, room correction, and an amp.
I need all of these features, but I haven't yet got into room correction. And when I do I'll probably have to give up the Idea of having DRC on my analog sources. My system consist of nothing fancy, but when you add everything up, Preamp, phono preamp, network streamer, DAC, Amplifier, well I'm not that far in cost and have nowhere near the convenience, general look, and features, and to me that trumps the very slight loss in pure perfomance numbers, IF any. The thing with separates, it's an evolutive process and like most here, we like the process of adding something to our system, But if I was gonna go back, swapping all I got for this would make a lot of sense.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

I do, actually.

1. I have 2 subwoofers
2. I have a turntable to use the phono input (MC, mostly)
3. I have a reel to reel deck that outputs XLR to use the XLR input
4. I use Roon for digital streaming, either from the internet or from my NAS
5. I want to apply DRC to #2, #3, #4
6. I use headphones sometimes

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I do, actually.
It seems like there are a few of us in that boat, but it’s not hard to imagine someone feeling that $5k is steep if they don’t need all the functionality.

In my case, I wouldn’t use HDMI, and I already have a phono preamp (although I would be happy to have fewer boxes and cables). I’m in the market for everything else this does though.

In another thread someone informally mentioned that getting a 20% discount might be possible. If that’s true the M33 would be a competitive value proposition. Even if that isn’t true right now, it might be once its popularity subsides. I know Anthem knocks 20% off their STR series from time to time. I suppose I should call a few dealers to see if they just laugh at me.

Top Bottom