• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think I'm glad I went with my minidsp + March audio hypex amp combo for less than half the price. I pretty much only use spotify and volumio supports spotify connect. Though BluOS does have a much better interface, but I can always add a Bluesound Node for $400 if I really feel I need it.

Though I get why some people will prefer the one box solution here.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
2 channel gear is so overpriced.

Quality 2 channel (stereo) HiFi equipment has always been expensive. In real terms, it is a lot cheaper than it once was.

If I was the same 20 something year old I was with a pocket full of money, no wife and no kids, this NAD would be a compelling product.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Why the Bluesound?
I don’t use Roon (and won’t in the near future), Volumio is not for me, I want something that’s user friendly and that I don’t have to build myself, and it makes the comparison to the NAD streaming platform more direct. I’m also considering getting a Bluesound Vault and putting my CDs on a hard drive.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I don't get the Bluesound Vault. Why is it better than a NAS and individual devices?
Sorry, what does individual device mean? You can use a NAS with Bluesound. But where is outputed the audio (digital or analog) in your conparative alternative.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
And here is the question. It's been announced that NAD uses modules built based on Purifi's license. What we could see in NAD M28 - i looks like Purifi 1ET400A modules are exactly the same we can order directly from Purifi.
That does not necessarily mean that they were not made by NAD.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You can use a NAS with Bluesound. But where is outputed the audio (digital or analog) in your conparative alternative.

Any device that can access the network and output either digital (via HDMI, coax, toslink or analog audio).

What I don't get it this (and please educate me what I am missing) :)
  • It has a 2TB drive in it, a slot loading CD drive, network connection, no wifi, and audio outputs. Like a stripped down HTPC or NUC.
  • No display- how do you see what you want to play other than using another device?
  • A few buttons like an iPod- is that just for volume and next tracks?

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2 channel gear is so overpriced.
Are there multichannel (all in one) devices that are as good as the better two channel gear, selling for less dollars? This NAD is to my way of thinking overpriced given what I require, but then again it is not what I need, and it has 'features' I don't want. If one needs what it offers it may be decent value. If one is willing to mix 'n match they can compile something better for less, however for a 'stick it on the shelf and forget it' solution it could be a compelling product.

To compare, for simple hardwired two channel, and for the same dollars, you could buy an AHB2 and DAC3 HGC preamplifier. But that is not the market or the solution that this NAD plays in and was designed for. And then you wouldn't know the temperature of your amp's heat sinks. :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That does not necessarily mean that they were not made by NAD.

Why would NAD set up a complete production line to make virtually identical modules under license? Unless NAD was already OEM'ing the modules for Purifi...

mSpot

Why would NAD set up a complete production line to make virtually identical modules under license? Unless NAD was already OEM'ing the modules for Purifi...
NAD have mass production manufacturing and supply chains. They can build the same circuit at lower cost than Purifi.

BTW, "set up a complete production line" to build circuit boards is trivial. NAD will contract out to a factory that specializes in building electronic modules, and they have the volume to negotiate a good price.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
NAD have mass production manufacturing and supply chains. They can build the same circuit at lower cost than Purifi.

Pure speculation.

Tell me, where are the actual Purifi modules made? In what factory and by who? You don't know, do you?

Hint: It's not the abandoned and derelict ETA-Padtron factory in Malaysia that was re-purposed as Seetek to build the Hypex amplifiers, SMPSs and DSPs.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I don't get the Bluesound Vault. Why is it better than a NAS and individual devices?
I don’t know how a NAS (or the two other 3-letter acronyms) works. Why is that better?

I can go online and spend hours reading and eventually figure out what hardware and software I need, buy it, set it up and hope it works, or I can plug the Vault into my internet and stick a CD in it. I’m smart enough to do it, but I don’t know why I should spend the time. And how much does a NAS cost? A few hundred dollars for the case a a couple hard drives? Would it be cheaper to do that and get a streamer too?

If this really is a lot better and someone wants to take the time to explain to someone with NO experience, I’m all ears.

Edit: if I bought an M33, I wouldn’t buy a vault because I don’t need to spend on two streamers. I would just stick with my current CD player for now.

Last edited:

Vasr

Major Contributor

BTW, "set up a complete production line" to build circuit boards is trivial. NAD will contract out to a factory that specializes in building electronic modules, and they have the volume to negotiate a good price.

It is a reasonable speculation. But...

...not necessarily. It depends on the relative volumes and the location. If Purifi is the OEM for 10 different vendors including NAD and NAD produces only for itself, it may not be able to do so for less unit cost even with existing production capability and arrangements.

It also depends on which countries they are made in. For example, Purifi getting it made in China could be cheaper than NAD getting it done in Malaysia or Taiwan.

Don't know what fraction of total Purifi modules are deployed in NAD units. I don't know where they are made.

So far we only have NAD's marketing blurb that they are producing it under license. Like most marketing, this may be stretching the truth. What we have seen is that the boards are exact same in component brands, board size, color and lettering as the Purifi, rather than look like and be consistent with NAD artwork.

If they were building for themselves, one would expect them to have one or more of (a) their own PCB layouts, (b) part numbers, (c) logos and fonts and (d) more than likely differences in some of the component brand selection. A licensing deal would give them the freedom to do so.

So, @restorer-john suggesting that it makes sense if NAD were actually OEMing these modules for Purifi and using some of them for themselves is more consistent with what we have seen than NAD producing the exact replica of the Purifi for themselves down to the last detail.

Top Bottom