• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

pogo

Major Contributor
Unfortunately I can't use the curtains anymore to correct only the bass response if I want to get some of the lost gain with Dirac.
Are you less satisfied with the sound result now?

fcracer

Forum Donor
The filter did give the following REW response at the listening position when using the curtains, 1 measure only, and I'm quite happy with the the result, indeed for some people it could be too bright in the highs. My philosophy is more to not correct anything in the mids and high and to trust the engineer of the speaker, Cabasse in this case, I think that the Cabasse Murano Alto doesn't have a flat response in anechoic chamber like the older designs did, the result is totally non fatiguing and I can listen for hours.
Unfortunately I can't use the curtains anymore to correct only the bass response if I want to get some of the lost gain with Dirac.
Great to see you using REW! As long as you like the sound, that’s all that matters. What does the REW look like with no Dirac filter?

pogo

Major Contributor
NAD x-mas.png

Calou

Great to see you using REW! As long as you like the sound, that’s all that matters. What does the REW look like with no Dirac filter?
This is what it looks like without Dirac and the subwoofer crossover at 70Hz (1/12th smoothing). Response in highs is truncated most likely because of buffering of Bluetooth which I use to send the sweep to the M33.
The effect of Dirac is clearly visible to fill the big dip at 40 hz. My sub doesn't have integrated EQ, if I had one I think that I would not use DIRAC.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 16.45.02.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 16.45.02.png
    475 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
Dirac Live 3.9.1 is out now.
Does the distortion issue still exist here (sub on/off)?

pogo

Major Contributor
And not only that. The overall performance is worse, but unfortunately very few people understand this.

pogo

Major Contributor
Not only Too many boxes!

pogo

Major Contributor
It is impressive how well DLART works even on small speakers in 2.0 configuration: Link
The implementation of Dirac Live Active Room Treatment is set for the M66.
Nothing has yet been announced for implementation in the M33. We should contact the NAD support and express our interest.

Calou

I've added a second subwoofer to the M33 with the idea to run both subwoofers in stereo mode from the subs out.
While measuring room response with REW to tune the subs, I see that both subs are summed whenever I run a sweep to the left or to the right channel.
What is the default behavior of the M33 when using 2 subs? Is there a way to run them in stereo?

pogo

Major Contributor
Use the Pre-Outs for the subs.

Calou

Use the Pre-Outs for the subs.
This is not an option with my setup, I need to cut subs and mains at 70Hz for best results, I also need to time align the subs with Dirac.
Can I conclude that subs out are only dual mono and don't have a stereo option then?

pogo

Major Contributor
Yes.
Which speakers and subs do you currently want to use?

Calou

This is the setup
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-26 at 14.57.51.jpeg

2 Cabasse Murano Alto and 2 Cabasse Santorin 30, the sub on the left is the new addition and has integrated EQ, the one on the right is nearly identical without integrated EQ.
The best bass response is on the left side of the room, most likely the culprit for the bad bass response on the right is the window. With only one sub, I was using the left position with the best bass response and cutting mains at 70Hz. I'm busy retuning now...
The subs are also connected to the subs out of the Marantz for multichannel, so the crossover can only be managed by the NAD and the Marantz.
I thought that the subs out of the M33 could be used in stereo since they are measured and EQed independently by Dirac.
Also based on these observations:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-m33-streaming-amplifier-review.17302/page-42

However with Dirac and both subwoofers running in mono it's already an improvement.

See below how Dirac aligns the subs on the mains:
Screenshot 2024-01-26 at 15.17.08.png

pogo

Major Contributor

Calou

Interesting.
Have you tried this?:
View attachment 345175
Yes, unfortunately not the solution.
  • Left/Right – Outputs only the Left or Right audio channel.
  • Mono – Outputs single-channel audio out.
  • Stereo – Outputs both Left and Right audio channels.
I've just finished reading the mono vs stereo sub discussion, right now I've settled for a crossover at 40Hz for both subs and still get a good frequency response in REW. So that will do for now, until DLBC comes...

pogo

Major Contributor
Which output makes this audible (L/R/Mono/Stereo)?

Top Bottom