• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C658 Streaming DAC Review

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So I understand why this is supposedly broken, what results are worse than NAD's listed spec's?

This is the bit that gives me pause:

“Since there is no USB input, I started my testing with Coax S/PDIF. To my surprise, the frequency counter on Audio Precision was jumping all over the place as was the waveform. This indicate lack of lock on the incoming clock which could either be a design flaw or something broken in this unit.

I then switched to Toslink optical with the same result. Wanting to make sure my analyzer had not failed, I powered another DAC and it worked perfectly there.

Without these inputs working, the only digital path I had was streaming using Roon….”

Brian6751

what would the result of that look like in use? My optical inputs work fine. Does this mean mine is working properly?

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
what would the result of that look like in use? My optical inputs work fine. Does this mean mine is working properly?
Amir said this in post number 54:

“It syncs enough to generate audio (i.e. recover audio samples). It is just that it is not stable, jumping back and forth on what rate it thinks the input is. So your music is constantly getting modulated by this.”

A couple of posts earlier (51 I think) someone mentioned that pops and clicks might be the result, if I understood correctly.

There is a lengthy thread on the AVS forum discussing issues with this as well. I was considering this unit for a while, but there are too many people having problems for my comfort. Lots of people are happy with theirs, and I’m happy for them, but I don’t have the inclination to buy one and then sell it later if I’m dissatisfied.

Brian6751

That’s too bad you feel that way. It’s a great piece. I know there were some bugs early on but they seem to have been corrected in firmware updates. It’s rock solid for me. It has a feature set not really available in any other product. The MiniDSP comes close but not quite the same. I may order one just to compare. I am also on that AVS thread. Same user name

sashi2

Is there a better way to find out than sending yours for testing? :)

I'd be curious to know the results too. After all, so far there was not a good testing of recent generation nad products with BlueOS

Brian6751

I'd be curious to know the results too. After all, so far there was not a good testing of recent generation nad products with BlueOS

Its a possibility. Would also depend on if Amir wants to test another one. I have a MiniDSP SHD arriving on Friday to compare

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Regarding the last, I have a pretty comprehensive review of the M10 coming out soon.

Regarding the former, a good way to test this is with a sine wave. Any mis-steps by the input receiver are easily audible.

Instar

Regarding the last, I have a pretty comprehensive review of the M10 coming out soon.

Regarding the former, a good way to test this is with a sine wave. Any mis-steps by the input receiver are easily audible.

Will Amir review Nad m10 soon?

It is considering Nad M10 and Shd Power, but it is worrisome because the reviews on Nad products have not been good so far.

Brian6751

I received the MiniDSP SHD earlier than expected. I have it paired with an Apollon Audio NCMP400(nc252mp). Have not ran Dirac yet and need more time for comparison, but so far this seems to be a very very transparent and capable combination. I am impressed

I received the MiniDSP SHD earlier than expected. I have it paired with an Apollon Audio NCMP400(nc252mp). Have not ran Dirac yet and need more time for comparison, but so far this seems to be a very very transparent and capable combination. I am impressed
I’m debating the mini dsp unit. I was really focused on the NAD but The QC problems Are really scarring me off. However, the mini does not have a usb output and looks kinda complicated to set up ....

Brian6751

I’m debating the mini dsp unit. I was really focused on the NAD but The QC problems Are really scarring me off. However, the mini does not have a usb output and looks kinda complicated to set up ....
Not sure about QC problems. Mine seems to operate just fine.

Why would you need USB output from the SHD?

The usb our would give me the option of using my current usb only dac if I did not like the mini . Although I could always sell them for a coaxial I put dac

I heard the NAD was very buggy which was what I was referring to

have your heard the mini unit ?

Brian6751

The usb our would give me the option of using my current usb only dac if I did not like the mini . Although I could always sell them for a coaxial I put dac

I heard the NAD was very buggy which was what I was referring to

have your heard the mini unit ?

Seems like there were bugs with the 658 when it first came out but I have not had any issues with it. I have both the 658 and the SHD at the moment. I really need to do more testing between them both.

The dac in the SHD is really good. I think I have said it before but I bet I couldnt tell the difference between the SHD and the Chord Qutest I had a while back.

Brian and bluefuzz thank you for your responses. I’m torn between the Nad and the mini dsp. I’m a old time tube preamp guy, since I love the sound but my current office is an attic loft with terrible sound and after much speaker experimentation I want to take a stab at dirac room correction (suspended floors, one side angle ceilings etc)

while I know this is measurement objective based forum, can you provide an insight on sound quality or ease of use between the two units ? Any other thoughts would also be greatly appreciated

thanks

Brian6751

Brian and bluefuzz thank you for your responses. I’m torn between the Nad and the mini dsp. I’m a old time tube preamp guy, since I love the sound but my current office is an attic loft with terrible sound and after much speaker experimentation I want to take a stab at dirac room correction (suspended floors, one side angle ceilings etc)

while I know this is measurement objective based forum, can you provide an insight on sound quality or ease of use between the two units ? Any other thoughts would also be greatly appreciated

thanks
The SHD is more transparent due to its better DAC but has a higher learning curve, is more utilitarian in use, and no 12 volt trigger output or auto shut down. The NAD is not as transparent but is more user friendly since you can do everything through the app.

If you are not interested in the extra abilities of the SHD and are just looking for an easy(relative to the SHD) to use preamp with Dirac, I would recommend the NAD. Even with the DAC measurements not being great, the NAD sounds excellent after Dirac is set up. The SHD may have a bit more transparent performance, but it is less of a consumer product than the NAD. Not a big deal to a lot of us but it is what it is. My $.02. Hope that helps

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The SHD is more transparent due to its better DAC but has a higher learning curve, is more utilitarian in use, and no 12 volt trigger output or auto shut down. The NAD is not as transparent but is more user friendly since you can do everything through the app.

If you are not interested in the extra abilities of the SHD and are just looking for an easy(relative to the SHD) to use preamp with Dirac, I would recommend the NAD. Even with the DAC measurements not being great, the NAD sounds excellent after Dirac is set up. The SHD may have a bit more transparent performance, but it is less of a consumer product than the NAD. Not a big deal to a lot of us but it is what it is. My $.02. Hope that helps
This is a good summary on the SHD in regards to use. If you want a traditional preamp, the SHD might through you off a bit getting it set up, in particular if you haven’t ever used any Minidsp products before. After you read through the manual etc you get the hang of it, but there is a learning curve.

Brian6751

what extra

What extra abilities does SHD provide?
More customization for the outputs. You can taylor the outputs however you want. Example: With subwoofers, I can sum the LR signal to the other two outputs and set highpass and lowpass filters, change the slope and filter type. . I can mirror L to one and R to the other and do "stereo" subs. You could also do active on two-ways with different crossovers. Lots more flexibility but there is a bit of a learning curve

spacebar

Forum Donor
Will Amir review Nad m10 soon?

It is considering Nad M10 and Shd Power, but it is worrisome because the reviews on Nad products have not been good so far.
Anything particular about the nad m10 you want to know or just curious about the measurements? I had one but sent it back. I’m now waiting for Lyngdorf tdai 1120 but it’s been delayed to august because of missing google certification/approval.

Top Bottom