• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier

pogo

Major Contributor
Are you using a subwoofer?
Is the problem also present if you activate the tone controls and set them to 0dB?
Where exactly is the problem according to NAD, i.e. is it only on the MDC2 module?

jvdg1701

Are you using a subwoofer?
Is the problem also present if you activate the tone controls and set them to 0dB?
Where exactly is the problem according to NAD, i.e. is it only on the MDC2 module?
Yes a subwoofer is present.
The use of tone controls is an option I can try :) Thanks, going to try this one

For what NAD shared with me is the problem a combination of Dirac + MQA (44.1 & 88.2). The problem is 18 times reported.
Must be solved in Bluos

nick-v

Is this the same inter-sample peak distortion that is present in the C658 or something different?

Witterings

This thread is 20 pages long which would take me a week to read through :eek: :)

Overall are owners happy with theirs, are there any negative issues I should be aware of ..... There may be people still subscribed to the thread that didn't like it and moved onto something else?

A more specific question, if you run / use Dirac, how many different projects / setups can you save on the amp and I'm guessing even if you leave one space blank you can run the amp without any Dirac compensation?

If anyone can summarise positives / negatives or people that trialled them and went with something else instead, what was the alternative and why?

Korvenwin

@jvdg1701 my advice is that you return your unit if you can.

They will never solve the problem.

One year after buy mine, my problem (clips between track with diferent frequencies), is not solved. I've attached a Eversolo DMP-A6 as streamer and I've forgotten the BluOS module.

dobrynin

Hello everyone.
Share your impressions of the sound and use of this amplifier. I plan to connect it to the KER R3 Meta and a pair of SVS SB1000 Pro subwoofers. Do you think the result will be good?

dobrynin

I'm not so much interested in subwoofers as in the combination of KEF R3 Meta and NAD C399. Will there be enough NAD and will there be synergy between them?

pogo

Major Contributor
The result should be very good, especially if you still have the Dirac Live module installed.

dobrynin

Yes, I plan to use the Dirac module. There is a peculiarity with it. The seller of the module says that the module may not fit the amplifier. And before selling the module, the seller asks me for the serial number of the amplifier. It seems to me that something is wrong here and the module should work without any problems? Or am I wrong?

dobrynin

This is the correct module: Link
Yes, that's exactly the module I'm planning. It is confusing that the dealer does not want to sell the module without providing the serial number of the amplifier ((
I'm going to talk to the dealer.

The most important thing is that the final result is pleased with the wonderful sound of C399 combined with KEF K3 Meta.

pogo

Major Contributor
Please try this out:
First switch "BLS" on the remote control followed by a BluOS preset slot number.
Does this work and can you switch to a playlist, a radio station, an input with a predefined volume, ...?

marinmv

Can anyone help and tell me how to switch on HDMI Auto Sense on my NAD C399? The option is there under optical, coaxial etc but not the HDMI input. Looking on the C399’s menus, not in BluOS as there’s no option for any input there. Thanks.

kndy-

On the Bluos module there's a USB port. It appears that this port can be used to connect a mic for dirac. It can also be used to connect an external hard drive loaded with music.
Does anyone know if the USB port can also be used as a DAC input (if I plug my PC into it, will my PC see it as an audio device)?
Any answer for this?
I'd want to plug my future c389 to my PC, I'm still wondering how (optical to the onboard audio?) and if if I should get rid of my Topping DX3 Pro.

Dunefan

yes I did,

my actual configuration is NAD399 and denon avr -x3800h
The nad control the stereo tower and denon all other sound devices.
I connected the denon with nad with the pre out (denon) and line 1 in nad.
With the autosource when i turn on the denon after few seconds the nad turn on.
Hi Claudiolo / other c399 users,

I have simular setup nad c399 with denon avr x4600h . I have bluos module installed. Nad c399 is amp for front speakers, denon is for all other speakers. Denon pre out fronts are connected to nad line 1 in via interconnect cables

Any idea how i can play bluos music via the denon? I would like to use the denon for multichannel audio.

Also the auto sense function is enabled on nad c399 line 1 in, but nad does not awake when denon is turned on (setup box as video source connected to denon avr is turned on too

any ideas?
thanks!

Cici

Ho comprato un C399 (con modulo MDC2 e pieno dirac) nell'aprile di quest'anno.
Dopo un paio di settimane ho notato che a volte il suono era distorto. Non sempre, ma con numeri specifici.
Quando l'amplificatore è stato spento e riacceso (non in standby ma spento) il problema era scomparso. Anche disabilitare Dirac era una soluzione.

Dopo un paio di ripristini e ricalibrazioni, ho finito. Sono andato dal rivenditore, che ha contattato NAD e gli hanno consigliato di cambiare il modulo MDC.
Dopo aver sostituito la scheda il problema persisteva. Ma era un problema "software" quindi aspetta la nuova versione di Bluos.

È uscito Bluos 4, e il problema esiste ancora...

Quindi invia una mail al supporto NAD in Canada. Hanno confermato che si trattava di un problema noto. Quando un file viene riprodotto con MQA su 44,1 e 88,2 kHz in combinazione con Dirac, può verificarsi questo problema. Sperano di risolvere questo problema nell'aprile/maggio 2024. Sono impegnati con il nuovo M66.

L'amplificatore è fantastico. Una pace di lavoro che suona molto bene. Ma per me il motivo per acquistare il C399 è stato Dirac in combinazione con l'opzione streaming (ho venduto il mio nodo n130).
Quindi tieni presente che questo amplificatore è eccezionale, ma il software è ancora in fase di sviluppo. Speriamo che venga risolto.
(e sto pensando di restituire l'unità, non ho più fiducia

I bought one C399 (with MDC2 module en full dirac) in april this year.
After a couple of weeks I noticed that sometimes the sound was distorted. Not always, but with specific numbers.
When the amplifier was switched off and on (not standby but powered off) the problem was gone. Also disabling Dirac was a solution.

After a couple of resets and recalibration I was done with it. Went to the reseller, who contacted NAD and they advised to change the MDC module.
After swapping the card the problem was still there. But it was a "software" problem so wait for the new version of Bluos.

Bluos 4 came out, and the problem still exists...

So send a mail to NAD support in Canada. They confirmed that was a known issue. When a file is played with MQA on 44.1 and 88.2 kHz in combination with Dirac this problem can occure. They hope to fix this in april/may 2024. They are busy with the new M66.

The amplifier is great. A very good sounding peace of work. But for me the reason to buy the C399 was Dirac in combination with the streaming option (I sold my node n130).
So be aware this amplifier is great, but the software is still in development. Hopefully it will be fixed.
(and 'm thinking to return the unit, no confidence anymore)
It Is happening even To my c399 with mqa? Sometimes not always
WHen nad Will fix?

dobrynin

Hello everyone.
Is it possible to adjust the volume using the iPhone buttons when listening to TuneIn radio?
I didn't find something in the BluOS settings how to do it ‍((

Top Bottom