• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the smartphone does not transmit any audio source but is only used to manage.
yes, but a phone has a small screen, so if use the BluOS the content and controls are hard to find and use. The larger screen makes the process easier, so a tablet is better, IMO

TK33

A thousand thanks.

So taking a tablet or a cheap smartphone to use it as a dedicated remote control could be a good idea (at least I don't have problems if mine is lost or given to my daughter).

To understand correctly, the signal goes directly from the network to the exact Nad? the smartphone does not transmit any audio source but is only used to manage.

Now I read the manual well.

Thanks so much also for the direct link of the Bluos module community.

I try to understand well.
Thank you in advance.
That is correct. The smartphone or whatever device you are using the app on is just a remote control. It is not streaming any audio. In fact, you can use multiple smartphones/tablet/PC as a remote since it just connects over your wifi/LAN and isnt even paired directly. You could start playing music with your smarphone as the remote and turn it off and your NAD would continue playing music. All audio data is being received directly over your network by, and all decoding/DA conversion/playback is being done on, your NAD.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is correct. The smartphone or whatever device you are using the app on is just a remote control. It is not streaming any audio. In fact, you can use multiple smartphones/tablet/PC as a remote since it just connects over your wifi/LAN and isnt even paired directly. You could start playing music with your smarphone as the remote and turn it off and your NAD would continue playing music. All audio data is being received directly over your network by, and all decoding/DA conversion/playback is being done on, your NAD.
Also, I think @TK33 and I are speaking about the BluOS app so you will need that module. Not sure if the NAD 399 has an app or even wifi capabilities.

TK33

Also, I think @TK33 and I are speaking about the BluOS app so you will need that module. Not sure if the NAD 399 has an app or even wifi capabilities.
Agreed. To be clear, I was talking about the BluOS app on the smartphone/tablet/PC. Original post had mentioned installing the BluOS module so I am assuming the OP is aware you need the MDC module to add those capabilities.

Alexx

Certainly thank you.

I know the additional module is essential (among other things very difficult to find in Italy).

Considering that it costs less than an internet radio and in addition the module gives me many other possibilities (Dirac etc.) I think it is the best choice to make the most of my 399.

In summary, on the Nad display I will only see the title of the song.
Thanks a lot, I'm looking for the Bluos module.

Korvenwin

Good morning.

I ask for help I have a Nad 399 I want to put the Bluos module.

Alternatively take network player like:
Cocktail Audio X14 or Cambridge CXN V2.

Why these two models? because I can't stand having to depend exclusively on my smartphone to control the network player, and these two models also have their own remote control ... (my smartphone is always broken, I run out of power, I lose it and I don't want to have it as my only option).

I ask you: if I put the Bluos module on 399, am I able to control it with the remote control of the Nad amplifier?

Can I select, search and store free internet radio stations with the Nad's remote control without having to depend on my smartphone?

If some applications like Tidal-Spotify-Amazon are forced with the smartphone that's fine, but I don't want to do everything with it.

I absolutely do not want a complete dependence on smartphone use...

If someone can tell me what I can manage with the Bluos module and remote control of the 399 it would be of great help to me.
Thank you in advance.

https://www.google.com/search?q=goo...ome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&chrome_dse_attribution=1#
I'm a not very C399 happy user.

The bumps on subwoofer after some tracks are a terrible and the problem appears to be the BluOS module, because it doesn't occur when streaming froma an sternal source via line in.

The SAT is gonna take the amp to try to solve it but I'm not very optimistic.

About your questions:

No, BluOS it is not usable without a phone, tablet o computer. You NEED it to play, config some options... You can stop with the central button on the amp or in the remote. In the remote it doesn't work the play/pause/forward... buttons. They are for a external CD player.

You cannot control tuners or favourites with the remote.

What is more, the source button are not very reliable, because if you hide some of the sources, the buttons will change how it works.

The speakers button doesn't work neither, because the amp cannot select A/B speakers: both are the same.

For me, the only use of remote is turn off (you only do it with remote or with the frontal button) and volume.

My advice, if the sound of C399 likes you, is not to buy the BluOS module. I think I will sell it and I will buy a external streamer like the iFi Neo Stream, for example.

Alexx

@Korvenwin :
A thousand thanks.

In fact I have many doubts about the bluos module I'm of the same idea as you.

I'm more inclined to get a dedicated reader like:

Marantz NA 6006
Denon DNP 800
Cocktail Audio X14
N25 Sound Cocktails
Cambridge CXN V2

I really like the sound quality of the 399, I don't think I want to change it, although the fact that it can't control the dual speaker output separately is inconceivable...

I wish I could compare it to the Rega Elicit MK5 this is the only amp I would switch to but I don't know if the Rega can sound too open and annoying in the mid to high frequencies.

antho625

Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

Is anybody having volume control issues? My volume seems to have a mind of its own. When raising the volume from -24db to -20db it reverts back to 24. I got new speaker cables(mogami 3103) They are 11awg. Could that affect the volume control?

Thanks

Korvenwin

@Korvenwin :
A thousand thanks.

In fact I have many doubts about the bluos module I'm of the same idea as you.

I'm more inclined to get a dedicated reader like:

Marantz NA 6006
Denon DNP 800
Cocktail Audio X14
N25 Sound Cocktails
Cambridge CXN V2

I really like the sound quality of the 399, I don't think I want to change it, although the fact that it can't control the dual speaker output separately is inconceivable...

I wish I could compare it to the Rega Elicit MK5 this is the only amp I would switch to but I don't know if the Rega can sound too open and annoying in the mid to high frequencies.
The BluOS system would be great if it (and the developers) were more reliable. In fact, the Bluesound devices have problems without solve for months. Take a look to the forum.

About the streamers, I've been searching a lot and, forgetting the too much expensive high end line, I've found the best in iFi Sound NEO Stream (best sound) or Matrix Audio elements (best all in one: Streamer, DAC, headphone amplifier).

Cambridge CXN V2 is very recommended but for me is important a good DSD support and the Cambridge only allow to play DSDx64.

The other imprescindible feature that I've evaluated is Roon Ready.

Korvenwin

Hello everyone,

Is anybody having volume control issues? My volume seems to have a mind of its own. When raising the volume from -24db to -20db it reverts back to 24. I got new speaker cables(mogami 3103) They are 11awg. Could that affect the volume control?

Thanks
Take a look in the BluOS controller if you've enabled the volume limits to -24dB

antho625

Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply. That makes total sense but it also does it at other volumes. I checked my limits and nothing was set.

Alexx

276 / 5.000
Very nice that reader that you have passed and is also available in Italy (1300 Euros).

For the volume control I have no problem (for now) I just have a little "Tok" noise on the speakers when I turn the amp on and off but it seems to be normal.
A thousand thanks.

ianjamila

Well i just got myself a NAD C399 and my TV LG B9 only has an HDMI ARC (Not e-ARC)

Is this the reason why it wont’t work?

I already tried turning CEC on/off.

Last edited:

Jackpine

Well i just got myself a NAD C399 and my TV LG B9 only has an HDMI ARC (Not e-ARC)

Is this the reason why it wont’t work?

I already tried turning CEC on/off.
Often only input HDMI1 has ARC, is this the input you connected? Also sometimes HDMI can be picky on which component is powered on first.

ianjamila

Update - after a lot of fiddling around, it finally worked! Just messed around with the CEC settings from both devices and toggling between PCM / Auto on the TV finally did the trick.

Alexx

Good morning.

Have any of you had occasion to compare the nad 399 to a Rotel amplifier?

I realized that I will not be using the 399 as a network streamer/player and I have no intention of buying the additional Bluos module.

For this reason I would like to change to Rotel RA-1592MKII or RA-6000 but I don't know if the tone and quality is comparable (I really like the balanced almost warm sound on the medium-high frequencies of the Nad).

Another question why can't I independently select speaker output A or B?

Do you know if there is any update to be able to do this?

On another amplifier I could decide whether to activate A or B together or only A or B.
Thank you in advance.

PS. I have no problems with HDMI, sometimes it would go off by itself but now it doesn't anymore.

Alexx

Pogo: Thank you.

Korvenwind:
Have you solved the problem of the subwoofer and bluos module?.. I would like to buy the module too but I don't want to have any problems.

In case it is possible to leave the subwoofer connected as I am using it now (without additional module) so I use the subwoofer crossover to have no problems.

Free Internet Radios I can receive, because I don't want to have any subscription.

What other improvements can the Bluos2 Module bring? (I think the speaker outputs A+B always remain exactly in parallel?).
A thousand thanks

ianjamila

Pogo: Thank you.

Korvenwind:
Have you solved the problem of the subwoofer and bluos module?.. I would like to buy the module too but I don't want to have any problems.

In case it is possible to leave the subwoofer connected as I am using it now (without additional module) so I use the subwoofer crossover to have no problems.

Free Internet Radios I can receive, because I don't want to have any subscription.

What other improvements can the Bluos2 Module bring? (I think the speaker outputs A+B always remain exactly in parallel?).
A thousand thanks
With regards to your question for Korvenwind, I too have a subwoofer and bluos module and already used Dirac and did not encounter the same problems.

Top Bottom