• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier

lateralous

Which bookshelf speakers match well with NAD C399?
As a qualifier I own this product, but the answer is the same for amplifiers of similar power and output impedance; it can drive most any bookshelf speaker you throw at it just fine. It goes far louder than I could ever want with tower speakers dipping into 3-4ohms at ~85 sensitivity:
index.php

I would only worry if you have insanely sensitive horns, or speakers with very low sensitivity.

Edit: I should also say I'm assuming a reasonably sized room based on the bookshelves.

Joegalaxy

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing all this very useful infos on this ampli.

At the moment I have a Denon DRA 800 with Q Acustic Concept 40 floorstanding. I am very happy with the loudspeakers but the sound of the Denon leaves me totally unsatisfied. I tried two higher-end amps and the speakers sounded much, much better. Working often from home I do listen music at a not too loud volume. To get a decent performance I need to get at least at 45 per cent of the volume, especially streaming from Tidal. It goes a little better with Flac and CD but in short I have the clear impression that the speakers could give me much more satisfaction in many fields, clarity, warmness and speed. The room is 25 square meters and the treatment possibilities are almost none. Other than moving the speakers around a bit there is very little I can do, so I wanted an amp with room correction.

NAD C399 seems perfect. I m pretty new to the hobby, so I have one of those beginner question: the NAD will be too powerful for the Q Acustic Concept 40?

Is there such a thing as "too powerful amplifier"? Of course I m not looking to go on a full volume, but I was confused by some reviews that said it was only suitable for large spaces

Those are the specs for the Q Acustic
Enclosure type: 2-way reflex with double woofer
Bass Unit: 2 x 125mm
Treble Unit: 25mm
Frequency Response: 53Hz - 22kHz
Nominal Impedance: 8ohm
Minimum Impedance: 4ohm
Sensitivity: 90dB
Recommended Power: 25 - 150w
Crossover Frequency: 2.3kHz

NAD could be a good match for the Q Acustic 40?

The other option which I m evaluating is the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120, but I m afraid it could be not a great improving sound wise.

Thanks a lot for your time

antho625

Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

At the moment I have a Denon DRA 800 with Q Acustic Concept 40 floorstanding. I am very happy with the loudspeakers but the sound of the Denon leaves me totally unsatisfied. I tried two higher-end amps and the speakers sounded much, much better. Working often from home I do listen music at a not too loud volume. To get a decent performance I need to get at least at 45 per cent of the volume, especially streaming from Tidal. It goes a little better with Flac and CD but in short I have the clear impression that the speakers could give me much more satisfaction in many fields, clarity, warmness and speed. The room is 25 square meters and the treatment possibilities are almost none. Other than moving the speakers around a bit there is very little I can do, so I wanted an amp with room correction.

NAD C399 seems perfect. I m pretty new to the hobby, so I have one of those beginner question: the NAD will be too powerful for the Q Acustic Concept 40?

Is there such a thing as "too powerful amplifier"? Of course I m not looking to go on a full volume, but I was confused by some reviews that said it was only suitable for large spaces

The other option which I m evaluating is the Lyngdorf TDAI-1120, but I m afraid it could be not a great improving sound wise.

Hello.

You will be fine, especially with 90 DB sensitivity. It's an awesome amp. Sounds great! Huge soundstage and very clear. I have my Blu-ray player hooked up as well along with Earc. So far, no issues.

antho625

Forum Donor
Hello folks. I just received the Micro 3000 sub. What is the best way to hook this up. Since the Nad c399 has a crossover setting with bluos, should I just go with a single RCA connection to the LFE and adjust through the Bluos app crossover setting?

Thanks.

Korvenwin

Hello folks. I just received the Micro 3000 sub. What is the best way to hook this up. Since the Nad c399 has a crossover setting with bluos, should I just go with a single RCA connection to the LFE and adjust through the Bluos app crossover setting?

Thanks.
I do it on BluOS app, but with my B&W sub I have a problem: When the frecuency change from one song to another, I hear a anoying noise on subwoofer. Please, let me know if you are having this issue on your sub.

antho625

Forum Donor
I do it on BluOS app, but with my B&W sub I have a problem: When the frecuency change from one song to another, I hear a anoying noise on subwoofer. Please, let me know if you are having this issue on your sub.
I have everything hooked up. To my surprise no pops or anything audible coming from speakers or subwoofer when I change songs or flip back-and-forth between settings. I did another Bluos update as I was notified through the app today. I’m just still trying to figure out the integration part. Didn’t want to use Dirac But I think I’m going to do it anyhow just to see.

Sulaco

Hi everyone,

I've got Concept 40s and have just taken delivery of a C399. It's day one but they work very well together, the sound quality is excellent. Not tried Dirac yet.

Joegalaxy

I've got Concept 40s and have just taken delivery of a C399. It's day one but they work very well together, the sound quality is excellent. Not tried Dirac yet.
Great, thanks for the answer.....please share your thoughts in a while and enjoy

01svtL

I think this may be the one for me. I’ve been wondering why companies don’t make a “high end” 2 channel integrated amp with room correction, streaming and hdmi capability. I don’t want to pay $3500-6k for a flagship AVR from Anthem, Denon, etc in order to get the best DAC, lowest distortion etc, all reserved for a unit that powers 15+ speakers and does all kinds of other things I’ll never use. I need 2 speaker outputs and 2 sub outputs, decent room correction, big power, and a single HDMI. Streaming is icing on the cake. I think this has everything I need, and appears to sound great too. I’m just surprised it’s NAD that would have it all. I had all but written them off after Amir’s t758 review. And I HAD a 758 (v1) at the time!
I have 2 Denons and an Anthem MRX540 on demo right now. The Denons are going back for sure. I like the Anthem, but the single sub out just doesn’t allow ARC to get bass quite right in my room. The 1140 is the only one in the lineup that has 2 sub outs, but it costs $3700 and has 9 channels of speaker outputs that I’ll never use. Makes little sense for me.

pogo

Major Contributor
BluOS 3.20.46. Released March 7, 2023.
• Dirac calibration updates when using a subwoofer.
• HDMI CEC improvements.
• This release applies to NAD C 3050 LE, C389 C399, M17v2 and T777 only.

01svtL

BluOS 3.20.46. Released March 7, 2023.
• Dirac calibration updates when using a subwoofer.
• HDMI CEC improvements.
• This release applies to NAD C 3050 LE, C389 C399, M17v2 and T777 only.

What was Dirac doing before when using a subwoofer?

withoutsuit

Is it possible to set Delays, when using with subwoofers? So two different delays for Subs and Delay for mains compared to subs?

Korvenwin

What was Dirac doing before when using a subwoofer?
I've still doesn't calibrate with new firmware, but previous Dirac calibration with a subwoofer was awful.

By the way, this firm doesn't solve the problem with the 'pops' between songs in subwoofer. :mad:
I've started to think about selling the NAD.

Alexx

Good morning.

I ask for help I have a Nad 399 I want to put the Bluos module.

Alternatively take network player like:
Cocktail Audio X14 or Cambridge CXN V2.

Why these two models? because I can't stand having to depend exclusively on my smartphone to control the network player, and these two models also have their own remote control ... (my smartphone is always broken, I run out of power, I lose it and I don't want to have it as my only option).

I ask you: if I put the Bluos module on 399, am I able to control it with the remote control of the Nad amplifier?

Can I select, search and store free internet radio stations with the Nad's remote control without having to depend on my smartphone?

If some applications like Tidal-Spotify-Amazon are forced with the smartphone that's fine, but I don't want to do everything with it.

I absolutely do not want a complete dependence on smartphone use...

If someone can tell me what I can manage with the Bluos module and remote control of the 399 it would be of great help to me.
Thank you in advance.

https://www.google.com/search?q=goo...ome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&chrome_dse_attribution=1#

Attachments

• 1679588855652.png
    1679588855652.png
    312 bytes · Views: 37

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a bunch of Bluesound stuff and you want a large screen to operate the BluOS GUI, so buy a cheap 10" tablet and you will be happy to see streaming sites, net-radio, and your own music on a NAS. And you can surf the net on it too while listening and controlling your NAD. Here is a good deal on an android tablet. FWIW

Edit: More advice and answers here; https://support1.bluesound.com/hc/en-us/community/topics search NAD 399

Last edited:

TK33

Good morning.

I ask for help I have a Nad 399 I want to put the Bluos module.

Alternatively take network player like:
Cocktail Audio X14 or Cambridge CXN V2.

Why these two models? because I can't stand having to depend exclusively on my smartphone to control the network player, and these two models also have their own remote control ... (my smartphone is always broken, I run out of power, I lose it and I don't want to have it as my only option).

I ask you: if I put the Bluos module on 399, am I able to control it with the remote control of the Nad amplifier?

Can I select, search and store free internet radio stations with the Nad's remote control without having to depend on my smartphone?

If some applications like Tidal-Spotify-Amazon are forced with the smartphone that's fine, but I don't want to do everything with it.

I absolutely do not want a complete dependence on smartphone use...

If someone can tell me what I can manage with the Bluos module and remote control of the 399 it would be of great help to me.
Thank you in advance.

https://www.google.com/search?q=goo...ome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&chrome_dse_attribution=1#
I don't have a C 399 but I looked it up and, according to the manual, there is a BLS button which looks like it is for BluOS. Page 11 of the manual shows there are playback controls for BluOS. I do have some Node 2is at home and have the RC1 remote for those. I also use an old 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab S tablet that is still on Android 6 but it works perfectly as a dedicated BluOS remote.

From page 11 of the C 399 manual:

BluOS PLAYBACK CONTROLS
Set DEVICE SELECTOR to BLS and use the following control buttons for BluOS playback. Some control
buttons below may not be applicable.
[4]: Resume playback from pause mode. When applicable, toggle to play or pause playback.
[j]: Pause current playback.
[9]: Skip back to the beginning of current song.
[0]: Skip forward to the next song.
REPEAT: Repeat song, playlist, all or repeat off. Refer to BluOS controller app to see repeat mode
indicators.
RANDOM: Play songs/playlist in random order

Last edited:

Alexx

A thousand thanks.

So taking a tablet or a cheap smartphone to use it as a dedicated remote control could be a good idea (at least I don't have problems if mine is lost or given to my daughter).

To understand correctly, the signal goes directly from the network to the exact Nad? the smartphone does not transmit any audio source but is only used to manage.

Now I read the manual well.

Thanks so much also for the direct link of the Bluos module community.

I try to understand well.
Thank you in advance.

Top Bottom