• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier

Alexx

Good morning.

I ask for advice, I have Dali Opticon 6 MKII speakers and a Nad C399 amplifier.

The midrange is a bit weak, I have the sensation of a small "hole"

Do you think if I put the BLuos module with Dirac I can solve this "void" in the medium frequencies?

I also saw that there is the free basic version for frequencies between 20Hz and 50OHz.

And Full 20Hz-20kHz version, enhancing not only the bass but also the high frequencies such as vocals and musical instruments.

Do you think I have to take the full paid version? (about 100 euros).

I don't know this "Dirac" software, I even thought about changing amplifier or speakers to solve this problem.

I prefer to seek advice from you experts before making some mistakes and spending money unnecessarily.
Thanks in advance.

pogo

Major Contributor
Do you think if I put the BLuos module with Dirac I can solve this "void" in the medium frequencies?
Definitely!
You can decide later if you need the full version.

Alexx

Thanks a lot for the answer.

So even if the speaker is unable to reproduce the missing frequencies perfectly, Dirac solves it by increasing or decreasing some frequencies.

In practice it could be comparable to an equalizer.

For the mid range (that of the voices in particular) the basic version is fine or for those frequencies do I need the paid "Full" version?.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Xaero

Attachments

• dz02NzAmaD01Mjg=_src_69974-nad-c399-fot4.jpg
    dz02NzAmaD01Mjg=_src_69974-nad-c399-fot4.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 379

Xaero

Is this a better option than NC252 in terms of sound/specs?

Well in theory, and on paper, the NC500 is the superior module to NC252. But I have no experience with the NC252, so I can't really say for sure. I can say that the NAD C399 with the NC500 modules are absolute solid. The power output is insane, the sound is super controlled and linear. It's a very good amp.

nick-v

My concern with this unit, does it share any of it's front end architecture with the NAD C658?

nick-v

What do you mean by that ? The C399 is a much newer unit than the C658 pre-amp.
NAD is just so inconsistent with it's measured performance. The C658 did not perform well at all, but the M33 performed quite well indeed!

Hopefully the C399 is more like the M33 regarding design & performance (it should be) as they mention trickle-down in the marketing material.

Xaero

NAD is just so inconsistent with it's measured performance. The C658 did not perform well at all, but the M33 performed quite well indeed!

Hopefully the C399 is more like the M33 regarding design & performance (it should be) as they mention trickle-down in the marketing material.
The C399 is more or less a M33 but with Ncore NC500 instead of Eigentakt modules, and excluding the fancy case and front touch display. Other than that, from what I understand, everything else is the same.

ENG

Forum Donor

I agree. From NAD you get bang for the buck and mediocre quality. I have a C399 and subjectively it's an impressive product. I bought it with the new MDC module. To me the main difference from M33 is the frontpanel. I miss though that you can power it on and off from the BluOs software.

nick-v

I agree. From NAD you get bang for the buck and mediocre quality. I have a C399 and subjectively it's an impressive product. I bought it with the new MDC module. To me the main difference from M33 is the frontpanel. I miss though that you can power it on and off from the BluOs software.
Are you saying that the C399 doesn't have BluOS standby?

ENG

Forum Donor
Are you saying that the C399 doesn't have BluOS standby?
To power the C399 on, you can either press the power button (the manual call it a standby button) or use the remote. If you just activate the BluOs on your phone nothing happens. And the other way, you can’t power of the C399 from the phone.

nick-v

To power the C399 on, you can either press the power button (the manual call it a standby button) or use the remote. If you just activate the BluOs on your phone nothing happens. And the other way, you can’t power of the C399 from the phone.
Yikes, really? That would be a deal breaker for me. Are you sure there is no setting for BluOS Standby - On?

Xaero

Yikes, really? That would be a deal breaker for me. Are you sure there is no setting for BluOS Standby - On?
I really don't see the issue here. There's no real need to actually turn it off anyway. When "on" and inactive, it idles as 1 watt according to my wall socket power meter.

justbacon

You need to change the network standby setting. I powered my C-399 on last night directly from my phone. I must say I am loving the C399 so far- driving my Buchardt S400 to amazing volumes and clarity. Cheers!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well in theory, and on paper, the NC500 is the superior module to NC252. But I have no experience with the NC252, so I can't really say for sure
NC500 OEM has to be implemented (PSU + buffer board), not the NC252. That his why performance may differ quite significantly between two amps. For instance, the Marantz Model 30 uses NC500 underpowered (like the C399) with a single SMPS600 for both channels.

C399 measurements here (It should has been posted earlier in the thread). You can compare the amp performance against Cambridge Evo150, which is typical NC252, under the same bench.

Typical NC500 OEM performance, without PSU limitation:

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
NC500 OEM has to be implemented (PSU + buffer board), not the NC252. That his why performance may differ quite significantly between two amps. For instance, the Marantz Model 30 uses NC500 underpowered (like the C399) with a single SMPS600 for both channels.

C399 measurements here (It should has been posted earlier in the thread). You can compare the amp performance against Cambridge Evo150, which is typical NC252, under the same bench.

Typical NC500 OEM performance, without PSU limitation:
Thanks very much for this link. Could you please comment on this measured performance relative to the M33? The features of this integrated are very appealing to me and my impression is that the measurements, while not SOTA, would result in a very neutral performance with no audible distortion. And thank you for your many contributions to this forum. Happy holidays

Korvenwin

I've just bought a C399+BluOS module. I'm very happy with sound but I cannot in any way link my Samgung TV via HDMI eARC. The TV is a UE43AU7105XXC model, not the best but it is a recent model.

I've tried to link a Sony UBP-X800M2 Blu-ray player without success. Nothing sounds.

The store where I bought says that not all TV works, sometimes yes sometimes not.

Somebody have succeeded in get audio from this sources? Could my NAD be defective?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've just bought a C399+BluOS module. I'm very happy with sound but I cannot in any way link my Samgung TV via HDMI eARC. The TV is a UE43AU7105XXC model, not the best but it is a recent model.

I've tried to link a Sony UBP-X800M2 Blu-ray player without success. Nothing sounds.

The store where I bought says that not all TV works, sometimes yes sometimes not.

Somebody have succeeded in get audio from this sources? Could my NAD be defective?
Welcome to ASR. If you've connected the NAD to your TV or DVD player via HDMI cable it should definitely work. If you have more than one HDMI cable give that a try. Also double check your settings, you may have "turn on" or select a specific device. I have a C399/BluOS arriving this week and I'll take a look at the options and update if I learn anything. Otherwise I would contact NAD for a possible solution/replacement. Your dealer seems to be dispensing BS. Imagine that!

Top Bottom