• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

my very first avr

so i have just started in home theatre for my room. I had till yrsaterday made decision to buy denon avc x3800h but review here is bad for that avr. I want minimum dolby atmos and 5.1 minimum for home theatre setup. which model would you suggest i heard internal dac is of bad quality in denon avc x3800h. i want the best internal components quality. I want minimum 1 subwoofer, then center, 2 front, 2 surround and 1 or 2 pairs of dolby atmos .
here in india heavy customs duty is levied, so very costly to buy here. so i am very tight on budget and am looking from brands marantz, yamaha or denon only.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Get a second hand Denon if your tight on budget. X3700h is still an excellent choice if you don’t go the Dirac route.

The X3800h should still be an excellent AVR despite the lower SINAD. You won’t hear the difference.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Get a second hand Denon if your tight on budget. X3700h is still an excellent choice if you don’t go the Dirac route.

The X3800h should still be an excellent AVR despite the lower SINAD. You won’t hear the difference.
I have it and i dont

JSmith

Master Contributor
review on this site is bad for x3800h
Hello and welcome to ASR. :)

The next model up measures much better, if that is of concern, but of course more expensive too;

JSmith

dlaloum

Major Contributor
review on this site is bad for x3800h
No it's not actually - if you look at the details...

The key thing is the review shows excellent performance, but not quite as good as the early X3700's with the AKM chips, and even though the performance is marginally measurably worse (not audibly worse!) - they raised the price.... this is the main complaint, that it is less value for money, as the price has risen, by quite a bit, while the performance has dropped (very slightly).

The X3700 has equivalent raw performance, although it does lose out on Dirac as an option... but Audyssey does a good job too, and is included in the package at no extra cost.

An old stock or used X3700 is not to be sneezed at (or even earlier generations, as long as you are not concerned about the later specifications of HDMI... if 1080p is as much as you need, then you can go for the earlier X3xxx models - if you want 4k resolution, then it is X3700 or X3800, or their equivalent Marantz models (same manufacturer... very very similar internals)

If you are interested in Dirac, it would be worth looking at the Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer family, the three brands are almost identical - so you can sometimes get a bargain by picking the model from the brand that is most discounted in your town or region... and the mid market models all have Dirac bundled in at no extra cost.

Yamaha has always made excellent hardware, but the RoomEQ software (YPAO) is not up to Dirac or Audyssey, and as this has a major impact on the sound quality which is feasible with it.... I have ranked it lower... removed it from my shortlist when I was shopping for an AVR 2 years ago.

OP
H
Any internal components qualily difference between avc x3800h and avr x3800h . I have seen avs is much cheaper than avr in india

EWL5

Denon and Marantz have equivalent products so the DACs used will be identical (i.e. Denon 3800 vs Marantz Cinema 50).

I have a 3800 and currently have no issues w/it. As others have said, the SINAD difference is inaudible so don't let measurements detract from reality! Whether you use Audyssey or Dirac for room correction, there is quite a bit of a learning curve but you are in the right place once you pick up the receiver!

Golfx

Forum Donor

Above string gives lots of information regarding SINAD. Majority opinion is you will not be able to ”humanly” hear any difference of the lower SINAD which wasn’t really all that bad. I believe Amir was just really disappointed that the 3800 didn't reach the standard of his previous tested Denons.

That said the 3800 will have fewer bugs and glitches and will offer future proof options and dirac if you want.

OP
H
Can you tell which avr be best among these denon x3800h. Onkyo tx rz50 marantz mm8077 marantz sr6015

EWL5

Can you tell which avr be best among these denon x3800h. Onkyo tx rz50 marantz mm8077 marantz sr6015
In order of preference (best is first):

1) Denon 3800 - least amount of compromises (lower SINAD is inaudible by humans), Dirac for additional cost
2) Onkyo RZ50 - has a protection mode that can impact performance from low impedance speakers, Dirac Live included in price
3) Marantz SR6015 - came out in 2020 and doesn't support Dirac or multi-subwoofers.
4) Marantz MM8077 - this is a 7-channel amp and not a receiver!

Godataloss

i am able to grab denon x4800h at 1688 usd. will it be good?
Probably a refurbished one. I think you give up the warranty when you purchase that way, so if that is not something you are worried about, it is a significant savings. If it is a new one with the full 3 year warranty, it's an exceptional deal.

OP
H
Probably a refurbished one. I think you give up the warranty when you purchase that way, so if that is not something you are worried about, it is a significant savings. If it is a new one with the full 3 year warranty, it's an exceptional deal.
it is brand new with tax invoice but anything can happen. can you tell how do i spot if it is not refurbished that is sealed in brand new box. any way?

Godataloss

it is brand new with tax invoice but anything can happen. can you tell how do i spot if it is not refurbished that is sealed in brand new box. any way?
Sometimes it's difficult. I purchased the x3800 in December from Amazon. There were many different sellers selling new and refurbished. The price point was generally the giveaway. The fact that it was refurbished was sometimes buried in the listing. The effect the refurbishment had on the factory warranty was similarly difficult to deduce at times. This is why I ended up getting a new x3800 over a x4800. I could not bring myself to spend $2400 on an black plastic avr and the discounts on refurbished at the time were not significant. I am very happy with the x3800 fwiw.

Golfx

Forum Donor
You can search for reviews on the dealer. If it is a reputable dealer, you can call or email them with questions.

Top Bottom