• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My first measurements. How do I rate?

alaios

1708976956775.png
1708977007564.png

Hi all, the above are my first measurements? How my room measures compare to what would you believe is an average listening room?
Regards,
Alex

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How did you make the measurements? (where was the mic, was it 1 speaker or both, what smoothing did you use)?

At first glance I think these measurements look normal but you seem to have some really long ringing in the bass region.

The bass is also (IMO) too elevated overall... depending on where you measure it (10khz or 20khz) you might be 5-10dB too high in the bass region. Somewhat a matter of taste, but it looks hot to me.

ErVikingo

Hello Alex,

Is the SPL graph expressed at 1/3rd smoothing?

(for my taste) you might want to play with placement of the speakers a bit in hopes of getting a more even low frequency response. I used the Room Simulator on REW to refine the position of my speakers (which I had done by ear and with some of the known formulas) and found a better overall response coherence. However, please note that the location per the simulation is an approximation which is formulated without other room factors. My (current) final position is not precisely that of per the simulator.

Tangband

Major Contributor
View attachment 352503View attachment 352504

Hi all, the above are my first measurements? How my room measures compare to what would you believe is an average listening room?
Regards,
Alex
For the measurements to be useful :

1. Measure only one speaker at a time ( the other turned off )
2. Measure only 20-200 Hz from listening position.
3. Measure 200 - 20000 Hz 1 meter from one single speaker and put the speaker in the middle of the room. Measure on axis, 15 degrees off axis, 30 degrees off axis.
4. Use a 50 dB measurement window. Use 1/24 smooting and 1/6 and 1/3 ( more like what the ear hear ) .
5 . Use a microphone stand or a long thin stick or tube to avoid reflections.
6. Use a thick rug below the speaker.
7. Read about the differences between fundamental room resonances ( can be corrected ) and reflections ( cant be corrected in a good way )
8. The mic should be flat +-1 dB 20-20000 Hz.
9. Use a reference speaker that measures well, like Genelec. Compare.

Read measuring loudspeakers by John Atkinson ( free on the net ) and remember that all measurements tell you lies If you read them wrong.

Edit: regarding your room response: - below 80 Hz you have all the fundamental room resonances ( sound resonances between Wall-Wall , Wall-Wall , and floor -roof ) .
Those can be dsp corrected in a good way, and are almost impossible to fix with room treatment.
You seems to have the lowest fundamental room resonance at about 35 Hz .

(Correct installing of the speakers in the room while listening to real music are much more important than any measuring to begin with. A badly placed loudspeaker in a room can never sound really good with corrections or room treatment.)

Last edited:

ErVikingo

(Correct installing of the speakers in the room while listening to real music are much more important than any measuring to begin with. A badly placed loudspeaker in a room can never sound really good with corrections or room treatment.)
^ Wise words!

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You've got a lot more reverb in there than in my room. My RT60 hovers closer to 300 ms across the spectrum, going higher below 100Hz.
^ Wise words!
I've been learning this over the last week. Unfortunately the best place to place my speakers interferes with the view to the lower part of my TV screen. I've found no good way to compensate electronically. I need to move the TV up a little higher because the speakers are staying there.

ErVikingo

You've got a lot more reverb in there than in my room. My RT60 hovers closer to 300 ms across the spectrum, going higher below 100Hz.

I've been learning this over the last week. Unfortunately the best place to place my speakers interferes with the view to the lower part of my TV screen. I've found no good way to compensate electronically. I need to move the TV up a little higher because the speakers are staying there.
I made a similar mistake when I built my most recent room. I went with a massive screen for the projector. I was going to use my "smaller" Aerial speakers and leave the big IRS for the other room. The other room became a bedroom.... Now my speakers are at the closest position the screen will allow.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not quite your first. What changed?

OP
A

alaios

Is the RT60 less severe close to the main speakers?

OP
A

alaios

Not quite your first. What changed?

the person that did it that believes that the previous one that is stupid. Also I just came back from a known dealer that tried to pursuade me that measurements are not really important.

OP
A

alaios

How did you make the measurements? (where was the mic, was it 1 speaker or both, what smoothing did you use)?

At first glance I think these measurements look normal but you seem to have some really long ringing in the bass region.

The bass is also (IMO) too elevated overall... depending on where you measure it (10khz or 20khz) you might be 5-10dB too high in the bass region. Somewhat a matter of taste, but it looks hot to me.
why hot? Is not this the most accurate curve we "believe" in? If yes I see 40dBs of differenfce between bass and treble regions. My measurements show a difference of 30dB. Please eduacte me

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
why hot? Is not this the most accurate curve we "believe" in? If yes I see 40dBs of differenfce between bass and treble regions. My measurements show a difference of 30dB. Please eduacte me
A normal difference, or at least a favored target curve around here - is more like 10dB between the bass and treble, about 1dB per octave. You have almost 2x that tilt. So I think that, in your room, subjectively the bass would sound too loud.

kejar31

For the measurements to be useful :

1. Measure only one speaker at a time ( the other turned off )
2. Measure only 20-200 Hz from listening position.
3. Measure 200 - 20000 Hz 1 meter from one single speaker and put the speaker in the middle of the room. Measure on axis, 15 degrees off axis, 30 degrees off axis.
4. Use a 50 dB measurement window. Use 1/24 smooting and 1/6 and 1/3 ( more like what the ear hear ) .
5 . Use a microphone stand or a long thin stick or tube to avoid reflections.
6. Use a thick rug below the speaker.
7. Read about the differences between fundamental room resonances ( can be corrected ) and reflections ( cant be corrected in a good way )
8. The mic should be flat +-1 dB 20-20000 Hz.
9. Use a reference speaker that measures well, like Genelec. Compare.

Read measuring loudspeakers by John Atkinson ( free on the net ) and remember that all measurements tell you lies If you read them wrong.

Edit: regarding your room response: - below 80 Hz you have all the fundamental room resonances ( sound resonances between Wall-Wall , Wall-Wall , and floor -roof ) .
Those can be dsp corrected in a good way, and are almost impossible to fix with room treatment.
You seems to have the lowest fundamental room resonance at about 35 Hz .

Well, if you go this far, might as well lift that speaker up on its side about 4 feet with a stand and take a gated measurement lol.. I followed this guide and at the center of the room got about 4.2 ms before reflections, which gave me a measured response down to around 250hz.. I also went ahead and measured my lower frequency's using the nearfield method in the second post on that guide.. This way I had a pretty good idea of what the room was doing vs my speakers. After I had a good measurement I EQ'd based on that measurement first then adjusted for room modes with a measurement from my MLP.

kejar31

Here is an example of my RP-500M measurements (SR and SL speakers) using this method vs one I got from Erin's Audio Corner with which he used a Klippel

Attachments

• RP-500M My Measurement vs EAC.jpg
    RP-500M My Measurement vs EAC.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 57

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I agree that this would sound like too much bass for me by ~5 dB below 250 hz. Other than that, just EQing the room modes and the cancelation at 400 hz and it should sound pretty great.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Seems fairly typical of many rooms so good first try. :) As noted, you have some room modes that need correction with EQ and a dip around 400 Hz. Remedying those will go a long way toward optimizing your sound.

ozzy9832001

You may want to pull down from 100hz to 300hz to be more inline with the rest of the response. You can leave the bass elevated (to taste). Higher if you listen at lower volume. Should clean up any wind tunnel sounds.

OP
A

alaios

You may want to pull down from 100hz to 300hz to be more inline with the rest of the response. You can leave the bass elevated (to taste). Higher if you listen at lower volume. Should clean up any wind tunnel sounds.
Yes I listen to relatively low volumes this is the reason that the person that played with those increased their amplitude. To be honest from this hifi journey I do not really like that things need to be adjusted on a volume that I listen to. I wish there was an easy way out where you just listen to music

OP
A

alaios

Seems fairly typical of many rooms so good first try. :) As noted, you have some room modes that need correction with EQ and a dip around 400 Hz. Remedying those will go a long way toward optimizing your sound.
So you think that all these issues can be fixed with EQ (minidsp?) . I think 400Hz is quite important frequency range

Tangband

Major Contributor
So you think that all these issues can be fixed with EQ (minidsp?) . I think 400Hz is quite important frequency range
200-400 Hz is a very difficult area, its hard to do acoustical damping thats effective and its hard to do dsp corrections from the listening position because its near the transition area . This is where correct installation of the speakers are important. You can play with the distance between the speakers and the distance from speaker-frontwall. If you have the listening sofa against a wall, you can move it forward 30 cm or more, and the sound will be better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom