• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with REW

Oski1928

Hi, I know that people have asked a million times for help with REW, but I have a few questions. I just received a UMIK-1 and last night I made my first measurements. I have gone through many different threads to help educate myself on REW. I am using REW on my Macbook. I have no means of implementing EQ currently in my system as I use a Marantz NA6006 with a connected SSD to listen to music. I plan on swapping that out in the near future for something with EQ capabilities (perhaps a Eversolo offering). For now I just want to see what EQ could do in my system.

Can anyone recommend a software on MAC that would allow me to implement EQ?. I would just be using the headphone output via a 3.5mm to RCA cable directly into my integrated amp. Once again this would be just so I can get a taste for EQ and how it works.

Second can anyone help with how I should create EQ. I have separate left and right speaker measurements, the averaged response of both, and a left + right measurement. I have already done reading to understand why you only use the L + R measurement in the low frequency range to understand your room modes (this was confusing to me at first, but I think I understand the reasoning now after research). Should i create EQ based off of the averaged response of the individual L and R measurements?

Any help with these questions would be helpful.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hi, I know that people have asked a million times for help with REW, but I have a few questions. I just received a UMIK-1 and last night I made my first measurements. I have gone through many different threads to help educate myself on REW. I am using REW on my Macbook. I have no means of implementing EQ currently in my system as I use a Marantz NA6006 with a connected SSD to listen to music. I plan on swapping that out in the near future for something with EQ capabilities (perhaps a Eversolo offering). For now I just want to see what EQ could do in my system.

Can anyone recommend a software on MAC that would allow me to implement EQ?. I would just be using the headphone output via a 3.5mm to RCA cable directly into my integrated amp. Once again this would be just so I can get a taste for EQ and how it works.

Second can anyone help with how I should create EQ. I have separate left and right speaker measurements, the averaged response of both, and a left + right measurement. I have already done reading to understand why you only use the L + R measurement in the low frequency range to understand your room modes (this was confusing to me at first, but I think I understand the reasoning now after research). Should i create EQ based off of the averaged response of the individual L and R measurements?

Any help with these questions would be helpful.
See here

Thread 'EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ows-linux-macos-ios-ipados-and-android.18450/

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I appreciate the link. I downloaded Foobar2000, but cannot seem to find any free PEQ. Do you know of one?
Foobar2000 can have PEQ plugin called Mathaudio which is free and has headphone and speaker variants.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
Not familiar with Foobar, but I'd recommend getting Soundsource from Rogue Amoeba. It's not free but works really well and comes with a whole series of peq files for various headphones. But you can also create your own peq files as text files and import them to Soundsource (a sample below) and this will be applied to any output you select, including the headphone output, or to any music you Airplay, for example. It also gives you access to all the AUN plugins and VST, but that's a little more down the rabbit hole

Preamp: -7.9 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 210 Hz Gain -4.9 dB Q 0.46
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 753 Hz Gain 4.2 dB Q 1.88
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1408 Hz Gain 3.1 dB Q 2.14
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3236 Hz Gain 4.7 dB Q 3.06
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 11546 Hz Gain 7.2 dB Q 1.64
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 1.9 dB Q 2.07
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 5825 Hz Gain -3.6 dB Q 3.55
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 9158 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 6.21
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 14720 Hz Gain 3.1 dB Q 2.27
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 20014 Hz Gain -8.9 dB Q 0.69

OP
O

Oski1928

Foobar2000 can have PEQ plugin called Mathaudio which is free and has headphone and speaker variants.
So, I tried getting the Mathaudio eq, but it wouldn’t load into Foobar. I’m at work so I’m not currently in front of my computer, but it basically brought up an error saying that it failed to load the plugin. I tried both the headphone eq and room eq options (using the download link with the Apple Logo). In Foobar I went to Components, clicked on what I believe was the plus logo, which brought up my files. The downloads each came with 3 different options but the only one selectable within Foobar was the “AU” option. This failed to work.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
So, I tried getting the Mathaudio eq, but it wouldn’t load into Foobar. I’m at work so I’m not currently in front of my computer, but it basically brought up an error saying that it failed to load the plugin. I tried both the headphone eq and room eq options (using the download link with the Apple Logo). In Foobar I went to Components, clicked on what I believe was the plus logo, which brought up my files. The downloads each came with 3 different options but the only one selectable within Foobar was the “AU” option. This failed to work.
It installs fine on my PC and laptop with the latest 64 bit foobar. I've just rebuilt the PC so had to do an install last week. All went fine. Check you are downloading the foobar components: each Mathaudio product has plugins for several different environments. Only the foobar ones are free, ISTR.

Top Bottom