• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My first measurements. How do I rate?

kejar31

200-400 Hz is a very difficult area, its hard to do acoustical damping thats effective and its hard to do dsp corrections from the listening position because its near the transition area . This is where correct installation of the speakers are important. You can play with the distance between the speakers and the distance from speaker-frontwall. If you have the listening sofa against a wall, you can move it forward 30 cm or more, and the sound will be better.
This right here is great advice.. If you just push that 400hz up blindly it may lead to an unnatural chesty sound..

Overseas

Major Contributor
Tangband talked about 'correct placement of speakers in the room', what exactly is that?! You mean, do not put speakers upside down or something similar. Because you probably mean 'efficient placement' as proved by measurements, not CORRECT.

GaryY

Forum Donor
Tangband talked about 'correct placement of speakers in the room', what exactly is that?! You mean, do not put speakers upside down or something similar. Because you probably mean 'efficient placement' as proved by measurements, not CORRECT.
He meant Frequency response in room is highly depending on where you put speakers and where you listen.
1709412892078.png
1709412929921.png

Overseas

Major Contributor
Exactly.
So CORRECT placement is a misleading expression.

GaryY

Forum Donor
Ah...understood what you meant.

kejar31

Exactly.
So CORRECT placement is a misleading expression.
Well there is correct and incorrect placement of speakers in a room.. Although regardless I am pretty sure I read, correct installation. Eitherway you should take your room and it’s acoustics into account.. I actually thought GoldenSound did a really good video on this on “The Headphone Show” did a pretty good walkthrough on this in his room treatment guide

ozzy9832001

Yes I listen to relatively low volumes this is the reason that the person that played with those increased their amplitude. To be honest from this hifi journey I do not really like that things need to be adjusted on a volume that I listen to. I wish there was an easy way out where you just listen to music
Unfortunately, that has little to do with the speakers and more to do with how we perceive different frequencies. The lower and higher frequencies we don't hear them as well at lower volumes, but will as the volume approaches 80ish dB. So, at lower volumes, they need to be boosted to be heard as equally. Depending on how the bass interacts in the room, they may need to be cut to taste as the volume approaches 80+ dB.

Tangband

Major Contributor
He meant Frequency response in room is highly depending on where you put speakers and where you listen.
View attachment 353808View attachment 353809
Yes, correct . ;)

Good installation with the two loudspeakers in the specific room is much more important than putting them randomly in the room , or were it looks good .

You can get maybe 80% better soundquality doing this right and at the same time using acoustic damping and diffusing. Using dsp can get you the further 20% , but its important to do it the right way - never start with dsp corrections from listening position - start with finding the best loudspeaker placement , where they sound the best without any correction at all, and were they are most pitch accurate = less boomy with good definition of the base and most believable and natural sounding . This is done best with your ears because there is no way to measure a perceived stereo soundstage with a microphone .

10 cm distance difference between the two stereo loudspeakers placement in the room can change both the perceived soundstage and the measurements.

Installation of two stereo loudspeakers are important because of the flawed stereo system , the impact of the room and because we dont listen to one speaker in a mono setup. ( unless you are in the kitchen having music as background ).

Last edited:
Top Bottom