• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are these measurements good? - Focal Chora 826

Hi,

I did my first ever measurements today. Are they any good? Focal Chora 826 in a medium living room? No EQ
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 21.01.36.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
Looks pretty good.

A few tips for posting frequency response graphs on ASR:

-use a roughly 50dB vertical range. Substantially more than that just compresses the graph and makes it harder to read.

-for in-room response response measurements, use Var smoothing.

-use REW's light mode for graphs, as they're substantially easier to read (better contrast). In REW's latest beta, you can keep the program in dark mode, but choose light mode only when exporting graphs via the Capture tool (camera symbol).

Otherwise, you'll have to switch to Light mode in REW's View preferences.

-if you'd rather not bother with the Capture tool, then you can hide the cursor with Ctrl+Shift+H. That way, regular screenshots will be a bit more tidy.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Your in room FR curve is very good.
Did you measured only 1 speaker?
What was the MIC distance to the speaker?
What MIC did you use?

Congratulations.

OP
M
Looks pretty good.

A few tips for posting frequency response graphs on ASR:

-use a roughly 50dB vertical range. Substantially more than that just compresses the graph and makes it harder to read.

-for in-room response response measurements, use Var smoothing.

-use REW's light mode for graphs, as they're substantially easier to read (better contrast). In REW's latest beta, you can keep the program in dark mode, but choose light mode only when exporting graphs via the Capture tool (camera symbol).

Otherwise, you'll have to switch to Light mode in REW's View preferences.

-if you'd rather not bother with the Capture tool, then you can hide the cursor with Ctrl+Shift+H. That way, regular screenshots will be a bit more tidy.
Thanks for the feedback. Here is a new plot.

Now just to figure out how to improve this haha (I think the dips at 1khz and 3khz are easy enough) It's the sub-400 Hz response that I am less sure about

Attachments

• chora_826_measurements_29_02_24.png
    chora_826_measurements_29_02_24.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 123
OP
M
Your in room FR curve is very good.
Did you measured only 1 speaker?
What was the MIC distance to the speaker?
What MIC did you use?

Congratulations.
Thanks!

Both speakers were measured at the same time. I used a miniDSP UMIK-1 (pointing up) in the MLP which is about 3m away.

ozzy9832001

Thanks for the feedback. Here is a new plot.

Now just to figure out how to improve this haha (I think the dips at 1khz and 3khz are easy enough) It's the sub-400 Hz response that I am less sure about
If you don't have a subwoofer, you may want to consider one. It could help smooth out the low end substantially. You may want to experiment with a different listening position. Sometimes, even just moving it a foot one way or another can have dramatic results; same goes for speaker/listener height.

I don't know where the tweeters crossover at, but I'm thinking the issue at 3khz is probably due to them not being 100% focused at the listening position (toe'd in). I wouldn't worry too much about that. Same goes for 1khz. I'm betting if you smoothed them out, it would sound way too bright. We are very sensitive to things in that range.

I'm curious what furniture is in the room especially things that are between the mic and the speakers...even a desk or chair can have a significant impact on the results.

OP
M
If you don't have a subwoofer, you may want to consider one. It could help smooth out the low end substantially. You may want to experiment with a different listening position. Sometimes, even just moving it a foot one way or another can have dramatic results; same goes for speaker/listener height.

I don't know where the tweeters crossover at, but I'm thinking the issue at 3khz is probably due to them not being 100% focused at the listening position (toe'd in). I wouldn't worry too much about that. Same goes for 1khz. I'm betting if you smoothed them out, it would sound way too bright. We are very sensitive to things in that range.

I'm curious what furniture is in the room especially things that are between the mic and the speakers...even a desk or chair can have a significant impact on the results.
I don’t have a sub, but am planning to get (hopefully build) one. Yeah, I haven’t really experimented with room position, hopefully that will help a bit

With regards to the 1 kHz and 3 kHz regions, indeed, the speakers are toed in, so I will be playing with that. I was thinking that also might affect the region above 10 kHz. Cross overs are at 270 Hz and 2.7kHz.

As for the room, not too much in the way normally, just a coffee table in front of the sofa.

GaryY

Forum Donor
I think you have very good starting point. To me it takes 2 months to change <before vs after> in my room. Playing with speaker position + 1 sub + room corrections are done.
rew.JPG

1709147248604.png

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

I did my first ever measurements today. Are they any good? Focal Chora 826 in a medium living room? No EQView attachment 353349
Measurements aren't "good" per se. They allow you to show something objective about the world. Like "this piece of wood is 1ft long". Now the question becomes "does it need to be 1ft"? There are plenty of blind spots in psychoacoustics that will not allow a generalized answer to this question. Welcome to the rabbit hole :)

P.S. You need to measure each speaker separately or interference effects at higher frequencies will obscure the steady-state magnitude response.

Last edited:
OP
M
Measurements aren't "good" per se. They allow you to show something objective about the world. Like "this piece of wood is 1ft long". Now the question becomes "does it need to be 1ft"? There are plenty of blind spots in psychoacoustics that would allow a generalized answer to this question. Welcome to the rabbit hole :)

P.S. You need to measure each speaker separately or interference effects at higher frequencies will obscure the steady-state magnitude response.
aha fair enough, "good" measurements are accurate and precise measurements, even if the FR is "bad".

I will have a go at measuring the speakers seperately.

HiMu

For fellow graph watching weirdos and other interested parties. In SPL & Phase tab, Holding Shift-button and dragging with left mouse, shows Min/max/average and slope info.

Attachments

• REW Tips1.jpg
    REW Tips1.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
OP
M
Strong modal behavior in your room. You need to do something about that.
Yeah, you're right. I have a nanoDIGI which I'm planning to use for room correction DSP. Unfortunately at the moment I keep running into an annoying problem where the USB-SPDIF bridge I am using does not work properly if only R channel is transmitting from the computer. My understanding is that the clock for the output is derived from the L channel, so when doing a sweep with R only, the PLL unlocks halfway through the measurement. I see this behaviour with Douk Audio U2 Mini and SMSL PO100 Pro.

OP
M
So, played around with placement and EQ via nanoDIGI and REW+U-MIK1 measurements. I attached, L before/after EQ, R before/after EQ, L+R after EQ, L after EQ, R after EQ.

I think I may have destructive interference :(

Attachments

• after_eq_LR_L_R170324.png
    after_eq_LR_L_R170324.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 34
  • before_after_eq_L_170324.png
    before_after_eq_L_170324.png
    74 KB · Views: 31
  • before_after_eq_R_170324.png
    before_after_eq_R_170324.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 35
Top Bottom