• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music Production - Virtual Instruments

concorde1

I am getting into music production.

As background I am a beginner-to-intermediate guitarist and pianist. At my level I can read music and play songs, but I can't improvise. I am probably going to go to a school of music. I want to create tracks in computer software that could fit into a video game or other visual media.

In terms of virtual instruments, I have Pianoteq, for both playing casually and recording "piano" with my MIDI keyboard.

I want to get some more virtual instruments.

I have two starting options I am considering.

1. Reaper (I already own consumer version) and NI Komplete (standard).
2. Ableton Live Suite (which includes some instruments)

I'm inclined to go for the first option because Komplete includes Kontakt, which allows plugins that require Kontakt.

Is Komplete (standard) a good buy? Is it stable software? Are the instruments any good?

I essentially want to go with the option that will be more fun.

Perhaps an audio composer, audio engineer or hobbyist here can guide me in the right direction.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am getting into music production.

As background I am a beginner-to-intermediate guitarist and pianist. At my level I can read music and play songs, but I can't improvise. I am probably going to go to a school of music. I want to create tracks in computer software that could fit into a video game or other visual media.

In terms of virtual instruments, I have Pianoteq, for both playing casually and recording "piano" with my MIDI keyboard.

I want to get some more virtual instruments.

I have two starting options I am considering.

1. Reaper (I already own consumer version) and NI Komplete (standard).
2. Ableton Live Suite (which includes some instruments)

I'm inclined to go for the first option because Komplete includes Kontakt, which allows plugins that require Kontakt.

Is Komplete (standard) a good buy? Is it stable software? Are the instruments any good?

I essentially want to go with the option that will be more fun.

Perhaps an audio composer, audio engineer or hobbyist here can guide me in the right direction.
Can’t say anything about Reaper

I use Ableton Live Suite. You can download a trial version of Ableton for free as far as I know and then test both to see which best fits your needs.

Also compare the number and quality of the virtual instruments which come with each version as VST seem important to you.

Have fun.

Jds81

One thing that is not fun, learning a new workflow if you already know how to work in one software. I haven't done recording and home production in a while, but could not jump between easily when I did.
I used Apple Logic and all my friends had Cubase. I could use those pretty well. Fruity loops, ableton were troublesome, not because they were bad, but just different.
Also used Reason, again, different, but great once I put in the time.
Just suggesting to not discount your familiarity with Reaper if you're already using it.

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Honestly the single most complete package is Logic Pro. The challenge is
a) runs only in Mac
b) so deep and wide in its capabilities you need to do a course just to use it. And not just one course. The reason is that it’s so old- almost 30 years. It was there soon after the birth of MIDI and GUIs itself.

An analogy i can give is: is imagine giving a fully fledged Microsoft Office suite to your grandma, who had never use a word processor or spreadsheet or database or presentation in her life. “Ok grandma, have a go!”

If you you are starting out I’d recommend Logic. If not, just stick with what you already know, ir have.

A bad workman blames his tools.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Reapear and NI komplete gives you a lot to play with and learn.

I mean what DAW you prefer, you have to see for your self. Depends much on what you like to do. But reaper and ni komplete are both not toys. So it depends on you what you can make out of them.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Reapear and NI komplete gives you a lot to play with and learn.

they also have regular (massive) sales on their products or even give-aways for their produtcs

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Its so full of possibilitis already. There are great songs with a guitar and a voice. With all that it should be possible to make a hyper song. ;)

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
If you can learn to use all of them, your value will increase substantially in the job market.

OP
concorde1

concorde1

Thanks everyone.

I'm actually going to try a Cubase trial. I notice Steinberg have their own virtual instruments. I will try the trial of Iconica Opus and use that to see if I want to buy some of their other instruments. I don't intend to buy Iconica Opus any time soon as it costs a fortune. I just want to see what kind of bar they set.

I will continue to use free Ableton Suite trial (no saving ability) to play around.

To be realistic, I am just starting out. I did a short course in Logic Pro a little while ago and I liked it, but I'm not open to getting an Apple computer.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't really recommend a sample player as I don't use them. The music I record is real players using real instruments. On my albums, that's mostly me with occasional guest musicians. On other folks albums I contribute tracks as requested; bass, guitar, keyboard and backup vocals are the most common. Creating these parts to complement and color the arrangement is essential.

As far as improvising, there is an embarrassing wealth of information available on the web now... All it requires is your time and attention.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Go with Ableton suite first. Most properly you will use them more as they are light and efficient. Komplete is good after you learn DAW well. As a tip, do try to reproduce the song you like at least, the piano, bass, drum kits, synth lines. This will make you a better arranger.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go Ableton + Komplete if I were starting today. I am an FL Studio guy but that's just because I learned it first when I was a kid.

Kontakt / Komplete have a lot of sample libraries and are very long-standing products in the market. Last time I checked it was a very popular format for 3rd parties to release samples for.

Ogremic

It might be old post resurrection but at the moment IK Multimedia has a deal with Total Studio Max that is really cheap and you get a lot of instruments and effects for that money

That and a DAW of choice and you're set. I work in Studio One and it's pretty complete.

Top Bottom