• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Music-First Audiophile" Manifesto by John Darko

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

1. The Music-First Audiophile knows that music and sound quality are important but that music will always be the most important.

2. The Music-First Audiophile has many thousands of albums in his library and will choose audio hardware that elevates the sound quality of those albums.

3. The Music-First Audiophile knows that there are many other music genres beyond those that he enjoys (or she will hear at a hi-fi demo). To name a few: hip-hop, metal, funk, soul, grime, techno, country, noise, psychedelic rock and folk.

4. The Music-First Audiophile isn’t trying to bring the live experience home. She understands that music playback is its own art form – a movie is not made by pointing cameras at a stage play.

5. The Music-First Audiophile understands that sound quality is affected more by the listening room’s acoustic make-up than the electronics chain that feeds the loudspeakers.

6. The Music-First Audiophile understands that a software app’s user interface, the hardware’s aesthetics, its ergonomics and its haptics all play a part in the overall listening experience.

7. The Music-First Audiophile knows that hi-res audio can enhance sound quality but she will never choose or refuse an album based on the delivery format's sample rate or bit depth. Why? Because she knows that mastering quality matters more.

8. The Music-First Audiophile knows that the pursuit of better sound is not “all about the music”. She’d be happy listening to music on laptop speakers or tiny white earbuds if it were.

9. The Music-First Audiophile knows that being an audiophile isn't about how much money she spends on audio gear but how much she cares about sound quality without letting the tail wag the dog. Music comes first. Always.

10. The Music-First Audiophile thinks music first, hardware second, format third.

Some good points, but coming from a man who puts weights on top of DACs and Streamers to improve the sound, it sounds a little bit weird.
Can't say I disagree with any of these points you listed on Darko's behalf.(have not watched the vid yet, will when I have time) #2 is pretty much covered by any streaming service so no need to wonder, I've got a lot of content.

At the end of the day Darko is an entertainer & does this for a living, it is his job/profession. That comes with many variables to juggle and ultimately compromises to make. I've never been able to make money without some give and take if not downright heartbreaking b.s.

The weights on the dac could be seen as similar to paying extra money for real wood veneer or some cool beefy binding posts. Audio bling and possibly paid promotion/placement.*
Let's be honest most of us still use speakers wires far thicker and far more attractive than they need to be.

*Maybe he believes in the weights or just pulls 420 way to often.

I'm both a music 1st Audiophile and an objective data forward 1st hifi guy myself. There is no need to chose one over the other at all.

CapMan

Major Contributor
… and yet, Mr Darko has not a single album review on his YouTube channel … :rolleyes:

I’d say: peak hypocrisy!
This !

He should have a ceremonial you tube burning of his expensive gear and spend the next year in purgatory listening to 80s radio stations on a clock radio just so we know he is sincere

ta240

Major Contributor
To me there's not much I enjoy more than driving, and doing so with a nice car, alone on dark curvy road with some awesome soundtrack blasting in the speakers makes it even better!
I used to take a curvy levee road on my daily commute and would crank the music and enjoy the drive. One day I was driving my much slower truck and came over a rise at the end of it to find a cop sitting with his radar on. I was about 15 over the speed limit and he completely ignored me. I realized then that he was probably out there responding to complaints and was waiting for my other car to come flying over, bouncing off the redline.

Now all the roads are crowded, mostly straight and flat and I can't even get performance tires in 14" anymore so driving is boring.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
… and yet, Mr Darko has not a single album review on his YouTube channel … :rolleyes:

That seems a bit of a weak criticism.

His reviews constantly emphasize and highlight all sorts of musical artists, often of the type you don't normally see on audiophile channels (frankly, to the point of it being his badge of honour, which I find gets a bit annoying).

His manifesto is right up front about being an audiophile, not merely a music lover, hence his is an audiophile channel, not merely a music review channel.

(I personally don't care for audiophile reviewers spending too much time reviewing music or going in to extensive detail about an album. I'm there to learn about the particular piece of gear, not this guy's musical tastes. I have my own musical taste and have plenty of ways of discovering new music. If I want music reviews and criticisms and discussions, I'll go to sites dedicated to that instead).

ta240

Major Contributor
Jana used to have her own review channel years ago but had to stop due to the quite frankly, absolutely fucking horrendous and sexist commentary/messages that were left, it shook her up and i guess that’s why she’s been out of the online stuff.

Don’t blame her one bit, some of the stuff I've read/viewed on this forum oversteps my boundaries as to what I consider decent but I’ve learned to stay quiet, don’t wish to get banned from any more threads.
I loved her channel. It is a shame that people suck so much. Having done video production in a past life, her video production skills are amazing.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I've had times when I didn't have my "proper" audiophile rig and listened to cassettes on a tiny boombox. So, I suppose that make me one of those "music first" folks, if not exactly an audiophile.

However, I've never placed weights on my DAC.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor

Nah, I've gleaned quite a bit of good content from his music choices in the vids. It's one reason I like to watch him.
Plus I can tell he means well & tries to tell a meaningful tale with equipment reviews which counts in my book even if it isn't very close to Floyd Tool and Sean Olive approved content.

I actually would like him to do more actual album reviews. Dude has good taste in music. He could really bring it.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I've had times when I didn't have my "proper" audiophile rig and listened to cassettes on a tiny boombox. So, I suppose that make me one of those "music first" folks, if not exactly an audiophile.

However, I've never placed weights on my DAC.
You might have if it was a Topping and your cables were thick and inflexible.

Robin L

Master Contributor
You might have if it was a Topping and your cables were thick and inflexible.
I've got a teeny tiny Topping E30, but a Topping L30 on top helps hold it down. Also, while the cable coming out of the L30 is stiff, it's close to the amp it's connected to and the interconnects between the E30 and the L30 are very short.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nah, I've gleaned quite a bit of good content from his music choices in the vids.
His manifesto is right up front about being an audiophile, not merely a music lover, hence his is an audiophile channel, not merely a music review channel.
Nah, sorry. If you call yourself a “music first audiophile”, then that should be reflected in your channel. But obviously that doesn’t bring the right amount of money to the bank, so shilling for audiophiles products is his first priority. Whatever interesting music he then namedrops is just collateral damage.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nah, sorry. If you call yourself a “music first audiophile”, then that should be reflected in your channel. But obviously that doesn’t bring the right amount of money to the bank, so shilling for audiophiles products is his first priority. Whatever interesting music he then namedrops is just collateral damage.

I can't seem to match your level of cynicism :)

I think Darko generally does a good job of reviewing plenty of products many people are interested in, going through the features, what it's like to live with the product, doing comparisons etc. It's a bit much to expect every reviewer to own a Klippel and have the means to do this in his spare time. (And there is tons of gear you'll see on Darko that will never get reviewed here). I find his reviews often so well done I can get entertainment whether it's something I'm interested in or not.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Why?
Is everything most true about you reflected in the character you play when trying to make money?

Anyway Darko surely is not 'peak hypocrisy' as you stated? I've never thought he was anything except a guy who really likes music (and gear) ie a hobbyist, and then he realized he could work in the industry. It comes across in his videos quite well IMHO that he likes music a lot. Never once have though he is anything more or less then what I just described. For all we know he'd rather be doing music reviews but found another opening and yah, pays his bills.

He is a hobbyist and in terms of shilling sure he is doing that for his income. Whether that bothers you or not is fair game but I also think that comes across well in his content, so no surprises. Just watch for entertainment and enjoy or don't. Most of what we experience in consumer based societies is one big shill in many layers. I suppose that heartbreaking aspect of the state of human affairs is what really gets some of us (maybe most of us) when it is presented in an obvious way. I'm not making excuses, I just don't see Darko as a bad guy nor a good example of corruption. He is okay.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
<< I need a qualifier for my own 'music first' directive: It is genre dependent.
Not so much with the hardware or the format: Though, those only need a few exceptions; like no IEMs and no cans w/strings.:)
The cheaper the gear, the more I enjoy the music - low expectation, no pressure , pure relaxation!
But I would not go THAT far.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why?
Is everything most true about you reflected in the character you play when trying to make money?

Anyway Darko surely is not 'peak hypocrisy' as you stated? I've never thought he was anything except a guy who really likes music (and gear) ie a hobbyist, and then he realized he could work in the industry. It comes across in his videos quite well IMHO that he likes music a lot. Never once have though he is anything more or less then what I just described. For all we know he'd rather be doing music reviews but found another opening and yah, pays his bills.

He is a hobbyist and in terms of shilling sure he is doing that for his income. Whether that bothers you or not is fair game but I also think that comes across well in his content, so no surprises. Just watch for entertainment and enjoy or don't. Most of what we experience in consumer based societies is one big shill in many layers. I suppose that heartbreaking aspect of the state of human affairs is what really gets some of us (maybe most of us) when it is presented in an obvious way. I'm not making excuses, I just don't see Darko as a bad guy nor a good example of corruption. He is okay.

Totally agree.

This place can get a little insular: anything not an active speaker or ASR-approved type of gear it's b.s. or not worth paying attention to, suspect, overpriced, and virtually all reviewers not conforming to this or making a living are "shills." The cynicism can sometimes get a bit stifling.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I made it to the 3rd Music First statement then started feeling violently sick to my stomach. Were the rest better?

Anton D

Love your post. I think many of us can sort of glide in and out, situationally.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Totally agree.

This place can get a little insular: anything not an active speaker or ASR-approved type of gear it's b.s. or not worth paying attention to, suspect, overpriced, and virtually all reviewers not conforming to this or making a living are "shills." The cynicism can sometimes get a bit stifling.
They are shills.
Keith

Anton D

<< I need a qualifier for my own 'music first' directive: It is genre dependent.
Not so much with the hardware or the format: Though, those only need a few exceptions; like no IEMs and no cans w/strings.:)

But I would not go THAT far.
I think I kind of get it: the crappier the gear, the more I get only the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom