• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
to capture more transients in the music information without the need to have some esoteric upscaling mathematics to fill the gaps

I call BS.

Parzival

No, it can't. What do you think the timing resolution of 44.1/16 is?

I know this can be an interesting debate but is actually besides the point. Also listening degrades with age and other factors but more importantly you don’t know what you need till you experience it. (8K vs 1080p Logic)

What I was trying to illustrate, is the need to progress. 44 kHz is a 1979 CD technology. It’s been 40 years. Even the microphones and speaker technologies have drastically improved. Storage and transmission was a yesteryear concern which is no longer the Achilles heel now.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know this can be an interesting debate but is actually besides the point. Also listening degrades with age and other factors but more importantly you don’t know what you need till you experience it. (8K vs 1080p Logic)

What I was trying to illustrate, is the need to progress. 44 kHz is a 1979 CD technology. It’s been 40 years. Even the microphones and speaker technologies have drastically improved. Storage and transmission was a yesteryear concern which is no longer the Achilles heel now.
Why do we need to progress? The technology may be 40 years old, but our ears are already thousands of years old in design, so as 16/44.1 was transparent then, it still is.

S

Parzival

???

But it doesn't require licensing like your idea to use DTS or Dolby...

you may be required to pay licensing fee even on tech developed using open source. Open source is only about quick and collaborative industry adoption and not to curcumvent royalties or licensing fee. This is a common misunderstanding.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
to capture more transients in the music information without the need to have some esoteric upscaling mathematics to fill the gaps

mememe_a3a445e289e21cfd24e50e2f6626a21d-1.jpg

Parzival

Cars solved real problems.

Ultrasonic audio does not.
Transients are not ultrasonics. Nyquist theory has had it’s fair share of misunderstanding. Digital is discrete compared to analog. This discrete nature is the driving force to improve resolution.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you may be required to pay licensing fee even on tech developed using open source. Open source is only about quick and collaborative industry adoption and not to curcumvent royalties or licensing fee. This is a common misunderstanding.

I have developed open source software for 40 years. Open source is about a lot of things. I would love to see you try to debate your point with Richard Stallman. :)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Transients are not ultrasonics.

Exactly. So you don't need ultrasonic capability to reproduce transients.

Nyquist theory has had it’s fair share of misunderstanding.

Indeed. You seem to be illustrating one of them.

Digital is discrete compared to analog. This discrete nature is the driving force to improve resolution.

That makes no sense. Do you understand what "resolution" means? Analog signals have a limited resolution too.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You really should study Shannon Nyquist. It’s neither esoteric nor new.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

I work in open source and have for 20 years.

It all depends on the specific type of open source license implemented.

Some of them would not allow what you're proposing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom