• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Status
Not open for further replies.

derp1n

Okay, it looks like the bulk of the restoration was actually done for the 2015 SACD release (the basis for the 24bit/192khz version I listened to), according to these posts:

"
They searched for the Original Masters for more than 10 years before they found them located in Norway. The new tape transfer was done by the National library in Mo i Rana, Norway, using the exactly same tape machine as the music was recorded to; a Telefunken Mx-80. The machine had to be repaired for the transfer. But most challenging was to get the machine operating at correct speed. Original it had a 50,4 kHz sampling rate. But after the recording of "Fairytale" was done, the machine was shipped to Japan for modify it to the new 48kHz studio standard for recording. But the master tapes for "Fairytales" had to be played back at 50,4kHz. But by operating it by two engineers when played back the tape, they got the correct sampling rate by skillful tricks."​
"Propeller Mastering today confirm that mastering is done in 24/192 and will be released as 24/192 digital together with CD and Lp."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ales-original-master-edition-11-27-15.479106/
That may be so. MQA have a bunch of marketing content covering this here.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That may be so. MQA have a bunch of marketing content covering this here.

These statements are interesting:

"In 2015 there was an attempt to recover an analogue version from the repaired machine. The audio path was from the analogue output directly at 192 kHz into a Pyramix workstation. To persuade the machine to lock it was necessary to manually apply resistance to the rollers (slowing the tape speed below 15 ips while the digital electronics locked at a rate near to 48 kHz. This was a heroic but difficult process. The resulting audio was not at the correct pitch and had noticeable ‘wow’."

Okay, but pitch correction is a pretty standard DAW plug-in these days....

And you don't need MQA to do it.

It's an interesting remastering story, but I don't see anything that has to do with MQA.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Info on how much bandwidth one needs to stream high resolution:

"Question: How much bandwidth is required to stream stereo audio at various bit depths and sample rates?

Answer:
CD quality (16-bits/44.1kHz) needs about 1.4Mb/second
24-bits/88.2kHz needs about 4.2Mb/second
24-bits/96kHz needs about 4.6Mb/second
24-bits/176.4kHz needs 8.4Mb/second
24-bits/192 kHz needs 9.2Mb/second
DSD (Single DSD, or DSD64) needs 5.6Mb/second

Question: So can I stream audio at higher quality levels than compressed MP3 directly over the Internet?

Answer: As you can see from the above answers, there is enough Internet connection speed on a global basis for stereo audio at 24-bits and 96kHz PCM sample rate, or DSD at a Single DSD (DSD64) level—and that is without any compression at all, just pure unmolested digital audio as it may be used during recording. If your listening room is in the US, or most countries in Asia or Europe, there is enough bandwidth to stream twice as much.
Granted, in many cases your kids only want to surf the Internet when you are in your listening room streaming audio. And since you are a nice parent, you want to allow them that by limiting your own streaming bandwidth. In other words, there are many circumstances that don't always guarantee a certain set bandwidth. The limit may vary depending on total usage, and if you are getting close to that limit you may experience dropouts.
The point here is that no compression is needed to stream CD quality and higher resolution audio in most countries around the world. If the music is indeed recorded in a higher resolution than CD, then it can be streamed directly over the Internet to most listening rooms around the globe. Any bandwidth limitations that may still exist today in some places will surely widen up significantly tomorrow (that is, very soon)."

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/questions-answers-mqa-interview-andreas-koch/

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...They will routinely be wrong...

And very often 100% correct. One does not have to be an 'insider' to be able to see the whole forest, not just the individual trees. Outsiders are unbiased, have no vested interests, and can often be considerably more circumspect.

MQA does absolutely nothing for the betterment of digital audio from a consumer or audiophile's perspective. It only exists to give a revenue stream to licensors. Yet more pathetic re-packaging of the same content tweaked to light up a blue LED that says 'MQA'.

From my perspective, it will fail dismally, simply because I will never buy music encoded with MQA. I will never buy a digital product that has an MQA decoding circuitry in it. If it becomes wildly popular and all music ends up encoded, I will be happy with the many thousands of uncompressed, un-molested CDs I have, and will obtain between now and then. I could stop buying music today and be happy with what I have, indefinitely.

Simply not going to support a completely superfluous knobbling of what has been 'perfect sound forever'.

I drew a line in the sand a long time ago on lossy formats. I've never downloaded or bothered with a single lossy algorithm for digital audio*. RBCD was, and is more than sufficient for me. I am in no way convinced that 'high res' is anything other than a waste of time, money and bandwidth/storage.

* apart from DD movies where the soundtrack is just that- an accompaniment to the main event- the picture.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I agree with restorer-john on his sentiments but don't think it will fail.. well not any time soon. In 10 years or so something newer has been invented making the marketting ploy obsolete.
This happens with all formats... well vinyl and RBCD still exist, but this has been happening since Edison with tons of audio and video 'containers'.
Reason ... marketting and technical ignorance of the majority of the human population that buys audio based on 'promisses of higher SQ' which in the end 95% does not really care about at all.

IF they indeed 'de- wow and flutter' and FR correct analog masters that are used (which is what I think they say they do/attempt) then kudos to them.
Alas .. they couple it to a not needed codec that only exists to rake in royalties and money to cover the huge losses the company made in the years before (so I have read) and finally want to live in luxury as well ?

Bandwith these days isn't as much of a problem as when they started development of the codec. It became a non-issue by the time of launch. It will be even less of an issue in the future. Even with a saturated ether because everyone wants everything to be cordless... people hate cords.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I agree with restorer-john on his sentiments but don't think it will fail.. well not any time soon. In 10 years or so something newer has been invented making the marketting ploy obsolete.
This happens with all formats... well vinyl and RBCD still exist, but this has been happening since Edison with tons of audio and video 'containers'.

Reason ... marketting and technical ignorance of the majority of the human population that buys audio based on 'promisses of higher SQ' which in the end 95% does not really care about at all.

DAT? HDCD? SACD (sort of alive)?

High resolution seems to be the kiss of death for a format.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Maybe it is the extra profit trawling that is the problem. ;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes very interesting is it not.

If at first you don't succeed, then try, try again
VS
if you don't study history you are doomed to repeat it.

There really is no substantial market for hires. Wisdom of the masses and all that.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor

I was thinking the various vinyl formats (only 2 survived, the single and LP), video like betamax, VHS (in various editions), video-8, Video 2000, U-matic, N1500, and other video tape and video disc formats.
El cassette, compact cassette, reel to reel, 8-track, DCC etc. etc...
CD-rom, CDi, mini CD
Likewise in analog photography where many formats were launched and died sooner or later.

All these formats above were launched, adopted (widely or less so) and eventually disappeared again. Of course there are always a few guys trying to keep some of it alive or collect it but you won't find many of the above formats in the majority of households is my point.

Just look at the crazy amount of audio and video codecs. Some are widely adopted (or forced upon us) others less so.
Advertising and seeking wide support for it and 'creating' the need to have the MQA logo and a light on it (why not purple light for instance ?) for manufacturers can 'help' launch things succesfully.
Regardless whether some folks want or see the need for it.

I don't need/want it either and see no benefits.
The guys at MQA ain't no fools and fully understand how to market it and get 'support' from manufacturers.
Walk into a hifi store and drop the word hires and salesman start yapping about MQA and how well they can hear the benefits..
Not fussing about it ... is nothing I can't do about it. Will have to let it go its course and ignore it (and what goes with it) myself.

Eventually it will go away again. Superceeded by another 'new and even greater' format.
Someday my grandchildren may ask... granddad what is MQA ? .... well that was an audio only format that once was popular but you can't find it anywhere anymore... [while watches 5D movies with pure surround sound and smell and touch sensations .. wireless]

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
@amirm its round 6, we have dropped a few early rounds with the opposition coming out agressive and swamming us , you need to get back to your boxing, keep on your jab and maintain distance..

We need to sting them with a hard 1-2 to gain back respect and stop their advance, a upper cut inside might be wise too.

Lateral movement champ watch out for those hooks and dirty headbuts, trust your boxing nobody can live with your skills..

Ding ding.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Someday my grandchildren may ask... granddad what is MQA ? .... well that was an audio only format that once was popular but you can't find it anywhere anymore...
From your lips to Gods ear.
I don't need/want it either and see no benefits.
The guys at MQA ain't no fools and fully understand how to market it and get 'support' from manufacturers.
For sure, but I fear their understanding of the recording industries paranoia and support for it's DRM like attributes may end up putting the stamp of MQA on near all music recorded or transcribed for decades. The industry has always hated the idea of us having access to bit perfect copies of the master files and finds great comfort in MQA
It may well be too late, but without loud vocal opposition within the audiophile community we will be sunk.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
For sure, but I fear their understanding of the recording industries paranoia and support for it's DRM like attributes may end up putting the stamp of MQA on near all music recorded or transcribed for decades. The industry has always hated the idea of us having access to bit perfect copies of the master files and finds great comfort in MQA
It may well be too late, but without loud vocal opposition within the audiophile community we will be sunk.

We all love to exercise our respective vocabularies in this particular arena, but I think you have articulated the narrative (I hate that term) better than most.

Kudos. :)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe this is just me, but this argument strikes me as the equivalent of the old joke about two bald men arguing over a comb. I think the audiophile world is a niche within a niche which is irrelevant to the overwhelming majority of people, and within which high cost (whether that be for hardware or software) is actually sought after as it's as much about bragging rights and ostentation as it is about enjoying music (possibly more so). So MQA will find a niche in that market, for most people MP3 and other lossy formats are more than adequate, most people now seem perfectly happy to play their music via a $100 - 400 blue tooth speaker using their mobile phone or tablet as a source (and BTW, if they enjoy it then why not) and most out there probably see no reason to move to FLAC or other lossless codecs. In all honesty, the difference between high quality MP3 and FLAC is not what some tell us it is and I have a darned hard job trying to differentiate them. I won't be buying MQA downloads, the only reason I'll buy hardware with it is if the other features and price are good but I suspect the audiophile micro-bubble will buy into it. The usual magazine hire hands are already with the program making sure they do their bit to scratch the backs of their friends in the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom