• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MOTU UltraLite-mk5 Review (Audio Interface)

sm5

Forum Donor
Optical from lg oled tv (or any brand) outputs stereo pcm or dolby digital/dts 5.1 signals. Optical stereo pcm signal from tv to motu works. Its internally decoded and you can pipe your tv audio to motu without computer and to powered speakers using motu dac in stereo and control volume with motu volume knob. Dolby 5.1 setting from tv optical output does not get decoded internally in motu as there's no decoder in the mk5 and is just a loud digital signal that is annoyingly like loud static noise. As far as I know there's no way to decode that 5.1 dd signal going into motu to come back out 5.1 nor any software decoding solution. I'm guessing motu would need to license from dolby and dts the ability to decode it. (I doubt atmos would happen unless hdmi input like arvus ... But it would be awesome though: a high quality atmos decoder and studio interface combined)

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Optical from lg oled tv (or any brand) outputs stereo pcm or dolby digital/dts 5.1 signals. Optical stereo pcm signal from tv to motu works. Its internally decoded and you can pipe your tv audio to motu without computer and to powered speakers using motu dac in stereo and control volume with motu volume knob. Dolby 5.1 setting from tv optical output does not get decoded internally in motu as there's no decoder in the mk5 and is just a loud digital signal that is annoyingly like loud static noise. As far as I know there's no way to decode that 5.1 dd signal going into motu to come back out 5.1 nor any software decoding solution. I'm guessing motu would need to license from dolby and dts the ability to decode it. (I doubt atmos would happen unless hdmi input like arvus ... But it would be awesome though: a high quality atmos decoder and studio interface combined)

I am sure there are software solutions for this,
but actually all you have to do is to replicate the decoder matrix, in EqApo for example (ProLogic II):

attachment.php

Reactions: MCH

DrSpan

Output Voltage Ultralite

Question to any of the fine people here.

I have a Motu Ultralite mk5. Since i lack the skill and equipment to do so, would anyone here be so kind and
measure two things?

1) At what volume Number on the display does the Interface output 2Vrms output level at the 1+2 Output (Pre-Amp)?
2) At what level does it output 4Vrms ?

I would very much appreciate it!

Davide

Output Voltage Ultralite

Question to any of the fine people here.

I have a Motu Ultralite mk5. Since i lack the skill and equipment to do so, would anyone here be so kind and
measure two things?

1) At what volume Number on the display does the Interface output 2Vrms output level at the 1+2 Output (Pre-Amp)?
2) At what level does it output 4Vrms ?

I would very much appreciate it!
No need to measure... the output is 21dBu so doing the math you get -13dBFS and -7 dBFS (RMS voltage I mean).
Obviously they do not correspond to the precise voltage, adjustments of tenths of dB would be needed.
Maybe if you explain the origin of the question a broader discussion can be had. Sounds like you're trying to figure out how to pair the mk5 to an amp.

DrSpan

No need to measure... the output is 21dBu so doing the math you get -13dBFS and -7 dBFS (RMS voltage I mean).
Obviously they do not correspond to the precise voltage, adjustments of tenths of dB would be needed.
Maybe if you explain the origin of the question a broader discussion can be had. Sounds like you're trying to figure out how to pair the mk5 to an amp.
I am grateful that there are smart people like you :)
Yes i i am indeed trying to pair it. I want to place a MiniDsp Hd 2+4 to the output but the MiniDsp max operating input voltage is
2 or 4 Vrms. So i am afraid i might frie it.

Actually the Motu was at the beggining of my thought train. The last link in my chain is an Spl 2 Control . This also has 21,3dbu output.
So i am trying to understand what my options are so i can decide what to do and proceed.

I asked about the Motu because i find it easier to have „Volume at -12db= X Vrms at Output“ if that makes sense.
Of course on the Spl there is no display

i also started a thread about it cause i was confused. I would be honored if you drop by.

Alex7777

They are referring to the "ring" of a tip - ring - sleeve (TRS) connector. The ring is the middle section of a TRS connector as shown in the image below.

TRS-diagram.jpg

Configuration 10 in the link below for a non-cross coupled output stage shows exactly what MOTU is recommending with no connection to the ring.

Michael

One more question please about how to correctly solder TRS -> RCA cable to connect MOTU Ultralite mk5 balanced TRS analog outputs with my amps' unbalanced RCA inputs.
I have a piece of cable consisting of 2 wires covered with a shield whereas Configuration 10 in the link above has 1 wire and a shield. Should I twist the 2 wires at each end together to form 1 wire from them? In this case after soldering the wire to Tip and shield to Sleve my connection will look like in the link mentioned above?
Thank you for your assistance.

DrSpan

One more question please about how to correctly solder TRS -> RCA cable to connect MOTU Ultralite mk5 balanced TRS analog outputs with my amps' unbalanced RCA inputs.
I have a piece of cable consisting of 2 wires covered with a shield whereas Configuration 10 in the link above has 1 wire and a shield. Should I twist the 2 wires at each end together to form 1 wire from them? In this case after soldering the wire to Tip and shield to Sleve my connection will look like in the link mentioned above?
Unfortunately, I cannot tell you how or where to solder what because I don’t know how to.I can tell you, however that if you connect a 6.3 socket to RCA cable, so basically, a simple unbalanced 6.3mm to RCA cable, you’re good to go it will simply not be balanced anymore, but there is nothing bad happening .
The TRS Balanced socket has 2 black plastic divider rings (so 3 metal parts) while a normal one has only one black plastic ring.

MCH

Major Contributor
hmmmm i am going to tag my go to member for balanced/unbalanced matters @antcollinet but i think it might be better to leave the ring floating (not connected to anything) (10b in the technical note)

Alex7777

Thank you gentlemen. In the MOTU manual they put it like that, which is still a bit confusing:
1708103375440.png

I understand below is the correct scheme for connecting in this case:
1708103654796.png

But if I have 2 wires + shield cable, so how is it best to connect? In this picture it looks like the shield serves as a conductor connecting "-" on both ends - is that the correct way to do? Or to solder one wire to "+" on both ends, the other wire from "Sleeve" to "-" on RCA and leave shield unattached (isolated from both ends)? And the Ring will also leave unattached (floating).
Thanks.

Reactions: MCH

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you gentlemen. In the MOTU manual they put it like that, which is still a bit confusing:
View attachment 350022

View attachment 350023

But if I have 2 wires + shield cable, so how is it best to connect? In this picture it looks like the shield serves as a conductor connecting "-" on both ends - is that the correct way to do? Or to solder one wire to "+" on both ends, the other wire from "Sleeve" to "-" on RCA and leave shield unattached (isolated from both ends)? And the Ring will also leave unattached (floating).
Thanks.
Hi,
you can do like you want, it won't change anything for a short distance or not very noisy environment.
The only thing to not do is creating a link Ring on TRS and anything on RCA (and for sure, between Tip on TRS/RCA and Shield)

The simple thing for you would be to solder both wires on Tips, like the "RED" wire on the picture (with Shield unchanged, exactly like on the picture).

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 350022

View attachment 350023

Thanks.
Yep - that is the correct connection for TRS output to RCA input. Ring to be not connected.

carat

Network control is working like a dream now between Windows and my iPhone. Surprised that CueMix doesn't even need to be running on the PC. I'm so glad they made this an 'official' feature.

Alex7777

Thank you for your help, gentlemen.

This is exactly as it was in my head. Will proceed accordingly.

you can do like you want, it won't change anything for a short distance or not very noisy environment.
The only thing to not do is creating a link Ring on TRS and anything on RCA (and for sure, between Tip on TRS/RCA and Shield)

The simple thing for you would be to solder both wires on Tips, like the "RED" wire on the picture (with Shield unchanged, exactly like on the picture).

carat

Why does this thing take so long in switching between sampling rates? Every time it has to sit there hunting for a clock lock even when it's the one providing the clock.

Noodles

Why does this thing take so long in switching between sampling rates? Every time it has to sit there hunting for a clock lock even when it's the one providing the clock.
Not sure what you mean but mine used to have 1-2 sec between switching (if it was providing the clock rate). That would be quite normal. Also it’s not like you switch clock rates all the time :)

redeyes

Network control is working like a dream now between Windows and my iPhone. Surprised that CueMix doesn't even need to be running on the PC. I'm so glad they made this an 'official' feature.
How are you supposed to use this feature exactly? Im lost.

carat

How are you supposed to use this feature exactly? Im lost.
Install driver/CueMix on PC. Connect ULMk5 to PC. Update firmware to latest. Enable Network Control in CueMix on PC. Install CueMix on second device. It should detect the UL via the network and you can control it just as if it were connected directly.

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
I freaking love MOTU! The mk5 was my largest single audio purchase at the time and I've never had buyer's remorse! (Ok, maybe the first 72 hours when I was fumbling over the initial set-up).

Top Bottom