• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

cajadas

Not really.

All of the measurements of the Motu show noise/distortion etc lower than our ability to hear. Even if the Duet measures better, you won't hear the difference.
Thanks for the response.

But I can clearly hear the difference for an Antelope Audio Discrete 4 SC. Other league in terms of clocking, etc?

My monitors are ADAM A7X.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the response.

But I can clearly hear the difference for an Antelope Audio Discrete 4 SC. Other league in terms of clocking, etc?

My monitors are ADAM A7X.
Three most likely reason for you hearing that difference.

1 - Level matching not sufficently close between the two devies when you compare.
1a - or you have a non optimal filter applied on one of the devices.
2 - Antelope Audio has audible levels of distortion, and/or noise. (Or it has some sort of effect DSP applied, and altering the sound that way)
3 - Cognitive biases, causing you to percieve differences when in reality there are none - assuming you are not comparing blind. Everyone is subject to these, and the differences can seem like night and day, right up until the point where you check blind.

The likelyhood that there are genuine audible differences if the Antelope measures as well or better than the Motu is exceedingly small.

cajadas

Three most likely reason for you hearing that difference.

1 - Level matching not sufficently close between the two devies when you compare.
1a - or you have a non optimal filter applied on one of the devices.
2 - Antelope Audio has audible levels of distortion, and/or noise. (Or it has some sort of effect DSP applied, and altering the sound that way)
3 - Cognitive biases, causing you to percieve differences when in reality there are none - assuming you are not comparing blind. Everyone is subject to these, and the differences can seem like night and day, right up until the point where you check blind.

The likelyhood that there are genuine audible differences if the Antelope measures as well or better than the Motu is exceedingly small.
Subjective listening matters and yes, the difference for Antelope is quite noticeable.

Since I've read on forums that Duet 2 sounds incredibly good, got me curious as I have one here at 45 minutes from me. Maybe I still give it a try.

McRivers

Now I've had some time to connect everything and try a calibration. The MOTU4 is connected to a USB port on my PC running Windows 10. I've connected all outputs from the MOTU4 to my AVR multichannel inputs. The AVR is only used as preamp as the L+R is connected to an Arcam A32 in HT bypass mode and the subwoofer out is connected to an SVS SB2000.

I've configured Dirac to use MOTU4 in ASIO mode and I've tested Foobar2000 and Squeezelite-X and configured those to use the virtual Dirac soundcard and everything works. I get output to left, right and subwoofer and I can use my AVR's volume control.

I only did a quick calibration with 3 measuring points and I've only verified that it works and have no comments yet on the results.
hi PlateMail, I have exactly the same configuration but I can't manage to configure Dirac with the Motu M4. I selected Asio in "Audio device type" as well as the 3 output channels. so far no problem. But I don't have the "Custom channel config" menu in Dirac processor and when I run the Dirac live calibration, bass control is not activated...Did you do anything special to make the Motu m4 work with DLBC? Thank you for your help

Attachments

• 20230328_093744.jpg
    20230328_093744.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230327_192531.jpg
    20230327_192531.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 66

PlateMail

hi PlateMail, I have exactly the same configuration but I can't manage to configure Dirac with the Motu M4. I selected Asio in "Audio device type" as well as the 3 output channels. so far no problem. But I don't have the "Custom channel config" menu in Dirac processor and when I run the Dirac live calibration, bass control is not activated...Did you do anything special to make the Motu m4 work with DLBC? Thank you for your help
Do you have a license for DLBC?

McRivers

Hi ,
Yes, I have "Dirac Processor Bass Control Upgrade" maybe I need something else?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230329_073419_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230329_073419_Chrome.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 46

PlateMail

Hi ,
Yes, I have "Dirac Processor Bass Control Upgrade" maybe I need something else?
What happens if you click the button "Get full bass control" in the DIRAC application? If I had to guess this isn't related to the Motu M4 and it seems like the Dirac application isn't recognizing your DLBC license. Maybe reach out the the Dirac support?

McRivers

when I click I am redirected to the Dirac website. I contacted support and indeed they think there is a problem with my license...no luck. Anyway, thank you very much for your help, it's very kind.

madmalkav

I'm trying the M4 on a MacOS machine and I'm completely unable to find how in hell I change output 1/2 to 3/4 in this OS. Haven't used MacOS in a lot of years but man, I'm feeling pretty stupid right now :D

AlfaNovember

I'm trying the M4 on a MacOS machine and I'm completely unable to find how in hell I change output 1/2 to 3/4 in this OS. Haven't used MacOS in a lot of years but man, I'm feeling pretty stupid right now :D
The M4 works "out of the box" with MacOS, but there is driver that you can download & install that gives finer control. Have you installed that driver?

madmalkav

Yes, but I haven´t found it to install any kind of control panel or something like that where I can change Output from 1/2 to 3/4.

ahhui

I'm currently using a SONY 7506 Pro headphone for the M4 and it works well. I'm planning to buy a DT990 Pro X recently and I was wondering if anyone has used this headphone directly with the M4? Will its high impedance work well with the M4?

damex

I'm currently using a SONY 7506 Pro headphone for the M4 and it works well. I'm planning to buy a DT990 Pro X recently and I was wondering if anyone has used this headphone directly with the M4? Will its high impedance work well with the M4?
Do you mean DT900 Pro X? I couldn't find any information about DT990 Pro X. I have found DT900 Pro X and they have 48 ohms impedance and 100 dB SPL sensitivity. They should work well with the M4 device.

Top Bottom