• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most powerful ultra portable headphone dongle?

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello all,

I'm looking for a IEM dongle for running.

Currently using the apple one (android phone) with truthear hola IEMs.

Sound quality is great, but they don't go loud enough, and I have an even less efficient pair of IEMs on the way.

Best I've found for power online is the tempotec sonata HD2, (60mw at 32ohm)

Is there a better option out there?

mmmdc

The E1DA 9036DK is probably one of the most powerful "regular" dongles with 3.5mm and no battery.

180mW into 32 Ohm is a lot.

That said, if you just want to drive slightly more demanding IEMs something like the FiiO KA1 and similar should already be plenty.

And in the other direction, the FiiO Q11 is more bulky with a battery but also even more power while still being relatively cheap.

OP
L

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
The E1DA 9036DK is probably one of the most powerful "regular" dongles with 3.5mm and no battery.

180mW into 32 Ohm is a lot.

That said, if you just want to drive slightly more demanding IEMs something like the FiiO KA1 and similar should already be plenty.

And in the other direction, the FiiO Q11 is more bulky with a battery but also even more power while still being relatively cheap.
I would like a form factor that you don't have to hold (like the apple)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a new user of the Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro and they have very good noise elimination and the top[ end is very top'endy as in 15-16kHz is my limit and I hear that.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Not sure it works with YouTube and Amazon music
No, but it doesn't have to.
You can launch UAPP, set the Apple dongle's Hardware volume to 100% (that removes the limit), then quit UAPP and listen to whatever App you want.
and the vol control slider shown in the guide doesn't exist when I go there anyway.
You have to give UAPP access to the dongle, then the slider should show up.

OP
L

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
No, but it doesn't have to.
You can launch UAPP, set the Apple dongle's Hardware volume to 100% (that removes the limit), then quit UAPP and listen to whatever App you want.

You have to give UAPP access to the dongle, then the slider should show up.
Constant clipping noise approx 10 times a second.
Slows track down further if I use wavelet.

Louder though!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Constant clipping noise approx 10 times a second.
Slows track down further if I use wavelet.

Louder though!
Huh, can't say I've experienced that before.

Changing gears somewhat, I have lots of different dongles in the Apple form factor and could measure each one's max output for you.
For this, it'd be nice to know what impedance your IEMs have.

I know the Hola has 28Ω, but what about the even less efficient pair that you mentioned before? Just the model name would be enough, then I can look up the impedance.

OP
L

Lbstyling

Forum Donor
Huh, can't say I've experienced that before.

Changing gears somewhat, I have lots of different dongles in the Apple form factor and could measure each one's max output for you.
For this, it'd be nice to know what impedance your IEMs have.

I know the Hola has 28Ω, but what about the even less efficient pair that you mentioned before? Just the model name would be enough, then I can look up the impedance.
Hi,

New IEMs are the truthear zero RED

Barrelhouse Solly

At slightly more than the Apple dongle, well $20, the Tempotec Sonata HD2 is pretty good. That's my subjective opinion. I haven't seen any measurements. For casual listening it's fine to my ears. The power output they claim seems accurate based on the perceived volume level of other DACs into the same line level input.

Lunafag

I'm using a es9280c DAC+cable combo from aliexpress. As portable as it gets and outputs fair 2V. Gets warm in use though.

mc.god

The Tanchjim Space has very good measures and a small form factor, but you'll have to use a balanced aftermarket cable to achieve about 150 mw @32ohm (about half with the unbalanced output) and an adapter to trick it to go in high gain mode with low impedance iem.

Top Bottom