• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amp and DAC needed?

rehpyc

Hello! Looking for advice of whether an amp and/or DAC are really needed.

Currently running with headphone pairs ATH-M50x for EDM/Dubstep/etc., ATH-AD700x or less bassy music and gaming. Likely to step up to Massdrop 58x and/or 6xx in the near future, though still scoping out what. Headphones are ran through an Apple dongle from PC (Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX mobo, fwiw in terms of audio tech).

Music is largely streamed through Amazon music, most often HD (16 bit) or Ultra HD (24 bit). It plays plenty loud with these headphones, and wouldn't expect not to with some higher quality headphones. So this poses the question of whether an amp and/or DAC are needed for my situation. What will I gain?

I've considered getting the Schiit Magni+, and if a DAC would be beneficial beyond the Apple dongle, possibly the Magni Unity w/ the built-in DAC. But, of course, then unsure whether worth getting the Magni+ & Modi+ as separate, or no gain vs. the Unity.

Getting into this audiophile game is tough - a lot to take in.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Headphones are ran through an Apple dongle from PC.
It plays plenty loud with these headphones, and wouldn't expect not to with some higher quality headphones.
So this poses the question of whether an amp and/or DAC are needed for my situation. What will I gain?
Additional volume. That's it.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd stick with the Apple adapter until you need more power. It's mainly when you equalize, you have to reduce the preamp (main power) to compensate and prevent distortion. If you've got the volume levels you want, then that's fine. A high quality stack can sound better, but with those headphones you might not notice anything different. Those and the 7hz Salnotes Zero:2 IEM is the thing everyone should own. You can get a baseline how great something can sound for $24, and judge everything else based on that price/performance. I use a pair as daily drivers, and get headphones in all the time to check out. This Sennheiser HD700 and Beyerdynamic DT1990 that just arrived don't outshine the Zero:2 except in sound stage of course. The HD58x is a softer sound unless you replace the foam in the ear cups with something less dense. The HD6xx is well rounded, but I wouldn't trade my Zero:2 for them.

OP
R

rehpyc

I should have also mentioned that I do use Equilizer APO with some Oratory settings that give a -4.5 preamp setting. So it sounds like given there's still plenty headroom for volume, unless I step up to some harder-to-drive headphones, or ones that scale well and blossom further with equipment (i.e. 6xx, Sundara), really no need for me to invest in either an amp or DAC at this time?

b7676

Core upgrade reason into desktop stack from dongles are preamp functionalities. Plenty of volts and switching for power amp/monitors and/or to have perfect resistor ladder analog volume knob.
The jewelry of bigger better dedicated power supplies and flagship dac / IO chips has merit if you do a lot of listening.
Entry level stacks are obsolescent.

virtua

I should have also mentioned that I do use Equilizer APO with some Oratory settings that give a -4.5 preamp setting. So it sounds like given there's still plenty headroom for volume, unless I step up to some harder-to-drive headphones, or ones that scale well and blossom further with equipment (i.e. 6xx, Sundara), really no need for me to invest in either an amp or DAC at this time?
The only reason for you to upgrade will be if you need more volume or features. An amp or DAC can't scale or blossom with different headphones, if something meets the requirements of being audibly transparent, it will sound exactly the same as anything else which is audibly transparent. Going from the Apple dongle to another audibly transparent DAC/Amp will only net you more features and more power.

asrUser

I've considered getting the Schiit Magni+, and if a DAC would be beneficial beyond the Apple dongle, possibly the Magni Unity w/ the built-in DAC. But, of course, then unsure whether worth getting the Magni+ & Modi+ as separate, or no gain vs. the Unity.
Yes Magni and Modi are worth it if you don't want to spend much. You could also get a Fiio K7 if prefered all in one.

wunderkind

In audio world, you get the highest ROI by upgrading the headphone/speakers unless your current upstream device chain are inadequate.

OP
R

rehpyc

Appreciate the input, all! I've also just added the 7Hz Zero 2 off @Dunring's suggestion. Wow, for only $25, these things do sound pretty great, and will be a great step up as my new work device (replacing okay sounding, but very reliable Panasonic ErgoFit buds).

unpluggged

Top Bottom